American Tourist Scared of Canadians Wants Gun

Options

Replies

• Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Wow, this reminds me of the time my wife and I were visiting Toronto. Some hooligan at a local park approached us as we got out of our car and aggressively offered us the use of his parking pass, which he said in the harshest way still had usable time on it. We were so terrified that we took the pass and trembled in fear for the rest of the day.

LOL
    this happened to me last week. luckily i escaped with my life as well.

Wow, thank God no one was hurt! We really need to press the Canadians to clean up their country - all of that politeness and friendliness is getting to be too much!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is about gun laws or who is more crazy - Americans or Canadians. We could argue these points forever! This guy over reacted, plain and simple. And I might have done the same thing on a visit to the States where I didn't know what the strangers were referring to. The idea that this dude would have pulled out a gun if he'd had one worries me, but I'd hope that with his training he wouldn't have fired it. I have a feeling that if it had gone that way, the two 'menacing' individuals would have backed off immediately and offered their friendliness to other less jumpy tourists.

As far as the lady who is jealous of me being able to run at night alone because I live in Canada - I can't step outside after sunset or I will be eaten alive by various insects, please don't envy me this pleasure.

Meh, neither can we.... we have to battle West Nile Virus and watch out for drug dealers... it's just not that safe out there no matter the danger.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Wow, this reminds me of the time my wife and I were visiting Toronto. Some hooligan at a local park approached us as we got out of our car and aggressively offered us the use of his parking pass, which he said in the harshest way still had usable time on it. We were so terrified that we took the pass and trembled in fear for the rest of the day.

LOL

My BF was in downtown Ottawa the other day, It was pooring rain. This lady walks up to him an practically assaults him with a deadly weapon.....she gave him her extra umbrella.....This could have gone way worse.....
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    :laugh: this made my day.
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If people like Walt Wawra of Kalamazoo, Mich. don't like our gun laws, feel free to vacation in their own Country. We don't want cops who shoot first & ask questions later, it may happen occasionally but it's not the norm & that's when they're on duty, not off. :flowerforyou:
  • liss125
    liss125 Posts: 77
    Options

It's not too often that I laugh out loud on these boards :D
  • phoenix_59
    phoenix_59 Posts: 1,123
    Options
    why would anyone be afraid of a Canadian??
  • liss125
    Options
    The guy was a cop for 20 years and always carried a gun. If I had something with me for 20 years I would feel uncomfortable without whether is was a gun, wallet or cell phone. Cut the guy some slack for putting his life on the line to make this world safer for others. He felt threatened being in an unfamiliar place with his family approached by a stranger who was overbearing and disrespectful. I completely understand where he was coming from.

The issue is more that he didn't realize he over-reacted and proceeded to publicize his fears. He was a little paranoid.

Yes. His overreaction was only a little weird. It's that he didn't come to grips with the fact that he DID overreact. He still believes it was some sort of bizarre attack. I googled the story, and I guess the guy is going to write another letter detailing the 'ordeal.'
  • cHaRlIe0411
    cHaRlIe0411 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'd be uncomfortable living somewhere that I know anyone can be carrying a gun. I'm already uncomfortable with the idea of moving back to Montreal for school this year after I saw there was a shooting downtown recently...
  • liss125
    Options

LOL

My BF was in downtown Ottawa the other day, It was pooring rain. This lady walks up to him an practically assaults him with a deadly weapon.....she gave him her extra umbrella.....This could have gone way worse.....

Your BF made a good call. Better to accept the umbrella and escape with your life :)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    the best part all you have to do is fire off a round into the air, and the bear will run, usually. I don't know about them Canada bears.

Actually, I hear some bears will run toward gunfire. They've gotten used to eating the remains of hunters' kills.

And someone mentioned carrying a 22 in case of running into a bear. A 22 rifle? What, to piss the bear off more? I'm a decent shot, but I wouldn't want to stake my life on being a good enough shot to kill something that big with a little old 22!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

LOL

Wow, thank God no one was hurt! We really need to press the Canadians to clean up their country - all of that politeness and friendliness is getting to be too much!

Stamp out Canadian generosity now before it completely destroys tourism! :laugh:
  • Avandel
    Options
    The guy was a cop for 20 years and always carried a gun. If I had something with me for 20 years I would feel uncomfortable without whether is was a gun, wallet or cell phone. Cut the guy some slack for putting his life on the line to make this world safer for others. He felt threatened being in an unfamiliar place with his family approached by a stranger who was overbearing and disrespectful. I completely understand where he was coming from.

The issue is more that he didn't realize he over-reacted and proceeded to publicize his fears. He was a little paranoid.

Yes. His overreaction was only a little weird. It's that he didn't come to grips with the fact that he DID overreact. He still believes it was some sort of bizarre attack. I googled the story, and I guess the guy is going to write another letter detailing the 'ordeal.'

What's he going to write this time? something to bullcrap his way out of that paper bag he put himself in? :laugh:
  • Avandel
    Options
    why would anyone be afraid of a Canadian??

Exactly! I can walk by the Brinks money truck & ask if they have any free samples without getting shot!:bigsmile:
  • 13inchestogo
    13inchestogo Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    LOL. That is all.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Is this for real?

So if he had a gun would he have pulled it and shot these guys for approaching he and his wife in an 'aggressive' manner? What the heck man? This is crazy.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    That guy is a redneck moron. It makes me sad that people think all Americans are that stupid.

I hate guns. I do not need to carry one and I do not assume that everyone who talks to me on a public arena is out to get me.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I was approached with free ride passes at our local exhibition last week, terrifying! I took the tickets and ran away in fear!

I understand the guy being a little worried when a couple of strangers approach his family, but don't you realize after the fact that you've over-reacted? and not go on to write to the local paper?
  • liss125
    Options
    I am fascinated by this. Mostly because it sounds so fake; yet it appears to be a real letter, written by a 'concerned' American. He even states that the two men were 'bewildered' by his actions. Is he suggesting they were bewildered by his brazen act of fending off their 'assault'? I think it would be safer to say they were bewildered by his paranoia.
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    I gave an extra stampede ticket to a random tourist when I was downtown, never crossed my mind that someone would want to pull a gun over something like that. Sad really, going through life fearing your neighbours.