Instead of chocolate? Help

Options
13»

Replies

• jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Emerald Chocolate Dusted Almonds. Delicious!!!! I usually have 1/2 serving - approx 14 almonds at 75 calories! Takes the craving away for me.

this so much. they're soo good.
  • Life_Is_Good2_Me
    Life_Is_Good2_Me Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Emerald Chocolate Dusted Almonds. Delicious!!!! I usually have 1/2 serving - approx 14 almonds at 75 calories! Takes the craving away for me.

These sound yummy, where can you buy them from?

I buy mine from Target, they have the 100 calorie packs! I think you can get them at most major grocery stores, though.
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    I don't know if this is true, but I have heard that craving chocolate is a sign of magnesium deficiency.

This. I used to have "crazy lady" chocolate cravings, I felt like I was possessed. I have been supplementing magnesium for a few weeks and have noticed my cravings are now very mild.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I've heard that chocolate cravings could be a sign of magnesium deficiency. Look for Natural Calm Magnesium supplement (it's not the greatest tasting but the magnesium citrate is highly absorbable - get it with calcium so you don't upset the mag;cal balance)

I just eat chocolate. But my go to chocolate is Lindt Excellence 85% dark cocoa - chocolate is actually healthy - it's all the other crap that they put with the chocolate. YUM!! I eat it as a meal sometimes. Breakfast: four squares chocolate and black coffee!! YUM!!

I can't eat the lighter chocolates anymore. Since going Primal they taste like sugary chemicals now.

And chocolate covered nuts? Nuts have a pretty good magnesium content - I know almonds do. That could be why it took care of the "craving".
  • janetC2W
    Options
    I love chocolate, but during one of my pregnancies I was disgnosed as gestational diabetic. I thought I was going to die. What the doctor recommended was that I eat as much fruit as I wanted. What I discovered is that it reduced the craving that I had for chocolate. Now I continue to eat a large supply of fruit every day and it still helps me to stay away from chocolate. Then, I eat a Weight Watcher's Ice Cream bar (100 calories) as my dessert, when I do get a hankering. Hope this helps.
  • phillieschic
    Options
    Flavored coffee...

Or I just indulge in the chocolate that I want and then go work it off!
  • phillieschic
    Options
    I love chocolate, but during one of my pregnancies I was disgnosed as gestational diabetic. I thought I was going to die. What the doctor recommended was that I eat as much fruit as I wanted. What I discovered is that it reduced the craving that I had for chocolate. Now I continue to eat a large supply of fruit every day and it still helps me to stay away from chocolate. Then, I eat a Weight Watcher's Ice Cream bar (100 calories) as my dessert, when I do get a hankering. Hope this helps.

Isn't it crazy how different doctors tell you different things? I was borderline gestational diabetic with my oldest son (15 years ago) and I was told to not to eat very much fruit at all as the natural sugars cause spikes in your insulin levels. SO strange... :laugh:
  • triplestepping
    triplestepping Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Usually I save my calories for a little bit of good quality chocolate for dessert, but for when we don't have any chocolate in the house, I sometimes make a mug of cocoa. Not extra sugary chemically instant hot chocolate powder, but real cocoa.

A cup and a half of skim or 1% milk (or almond/soy whatever) plus a tablespoon of cocoa powder and a bit of splenda to taste—since it has maltodextrin in it, it has a nice malty flavour that works well with the cocoa. Stir like crazy, zap in the microwave, stir again. Enjoy.

Adding cocoa powder to a banana smoothie recipe is also delicious. Alternately cocoa in "banana soft serve" (blended up frozen bananas in the food processor) works well, too. The banana adds enough sweetness to balance out the bitter.

As for keeping real chocolate in the house, I know have no willpower. My husband both buys and hides the chocolate because he has WAY better willpower than I do, and he'll also notice if any is missing. It might sound controlling but it isn't at all; I prefer that we do it this way and ask him to keep it from me. He is like my co-worker who keeps the chocolate in his desk. This way I still get to eat chocolate most days, but not too much of it, and he's happy knowing that I'm happy about this.
  • centaurfilly
    Options
    I actually just buy VERY expensive, very high quality chocolate (mmm Godiva). It's so rich (and pricy) that I never really want more than 2 or 3 squares anyways, and usually will keep to just 1 as a treat.
  • SarahSosi
    SarahSosi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    i am a chocalcholic so i know what u mean! and i kill that crave by going and making my own desert which is a youghourt smoothie! sweetner plus youghourt plus water and anykind of fruit u like! it regulates my blood sugar and keeps me full!