"southern hospitality" myth or no?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Until expansion, if there was an SEC team in that state it was "The South". :laugh:

Technically, below the Mason-Dixon Line is "the south, meaning Virginia and Maryland are included. Culturally, though, they are no longer "southern" except maybe parts of Virginia.

By my definition, culturally speaking, "Down South"..."The South" is AL, LA, MS, GA, Northern FL, AR, TN, SC, NC.

I would agree with this list. :smile:
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    Having lived all over the country, people in or from the south are no nicer and more
    Hospitable.
    In fact, I prefer to know right away when somebody doesnt like me.
    Rather than somebody saying "well bless her heart" as you walk away.
    Nice people are nice people wherever you go.

...most people know that "bless her/your/his heart isn't a compliment or anything well intended.

I have also lived in many areas, and everywhere, there are mean people and nice people. However, only the south has the best iced tea unless you can somehow pry the secret from someone!

I even found nice people in Watts... THAT was amusing.

**Yes, it does exist. it's just hyped up

Born and raised in Alabama.

Fill the kettle (or sauce pot) with water, approximately one quart and bring to a boil.
    At full rolling boil, remove from heat.
    Add 4 family sized Luzianne teabags and cover.
    Let steep 20 minutes.
    Add either 2 cups sugar OR 1-3/4 cup Splenda to a 1-gallon jug.
    (optional) remove teabags from kettle and press against the inside of the jug with a wooden spoon.
    Dispose of teabags.
    Pour steeped tea over sugar / splenda to dissolve.
    Fill jug rest of the way with cold water.
    Refrigerate or pour over ice.

Walla, Southern Sweet Tea (bless your hearts) :wink:
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this isn't true for all of the south, but I don't really fit in with southern girls. They're so put together all the time, and it's what they've been taught from their mothers. Never leave the house without makeup, make sure your hair is nice, ect. Which I never do and subsequently I feel judged. Which is probably all me and not them.

<-- I'm not the typical southerner I suppose. Born and raised in Biloxi, MS. I leave the house without makeup fairly often (like... every day? LOL) I don't make it a habit of brushing my hair (in fact, the "before" pictures are the only pictures where I actually did more than ran my fingers through my hair and pinned it back out of my face... LOL). I have no accent. I don't use the word "ya'll" or "ain't" and I call soft drinks "soda" rather than calling everything "coke". However, when we moved to Kentucky (which btw is NOT the south.... it is a southern state, but I don't consider this the south... no offense to Kentuckians... I do like it here! LOL), I was made fun of by some people for my children saying "yes ma'am/no ma'am" and "yes sir/no sir" to everyone and also calling people "Mr." and "Ms." rather than just blurting out their first names as if they were their friends (My children call my friends Ms. Chrissy or Mr. Noah... not Chrissy and Noah).

Now, I will say my mom hates that I don't wear make up and my brother likes that I don't wear it. He says I'm naturally beautiful and don't need it while my mom just says "Marie doesn't care how she looks". Actually, I DO care how I look, I just don't feel like I have to be done up all the time to be presentable. ;)

I am generally polite, but if I don't like someone, I don't talk to them. If I see them in public, I will smile, but I will not stop to hold a conversation and I kind of let it be known I don't intend to either. ;)
  • Jen_Jennings
    Jen_Jennings Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I travel all over the country for work, and have lived in Texas nearly my entire life, and as far as I can tell, the south is absolutely no friendlier than anywhere else. I can see where people who aren't southern might think they are, but I think most southerners probably know well enough that most of the friendliness isn't really genuine friendliness. It's a learned behaviour that's simply part of social interaction in the south, and doesn't really convey anyone's true feelings one way or another. Personally, I prefer people that are more direct. Southerners are a strange breed, bless their hearts. ;)

Agreed " I think most southerners probably know well enough that most of the friendliness isn't really genuine friendliness. It's a learned behaviour that's simply part of social interaction in the south, and doesn't really convey anyone's true feelings one way or another". I've had run ins with southerners where I live in CA and have seen the phony friendliness. I'm wondering if they think we are too stupid to see through it? Silly. I know they aren't all like that but it's obvious and irritating. I for one appreciate directness.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Looks like some Texans need geography lessons too. The South or Down South is the Southeast. Look it up. Down South existed before Texas was a state. And the War is over comment was a joke, but seriously I never heard Damn Yankees anywhere other than Texas. Hell, you say a pledge of allegiance to the state flag of Texas.

A great portion of Texas falls in the Southwest geographically, though there is debate about the Eastern portion of the state. I think its safe to say Texas is just Texas, neither South nor West.

Again, the labels of region are highly fluid... and I don't even know the pledge to the Texas flag... I don't know anyone that does, nor do I know any teacher that has their kids say it. And no, we fall into the South Central area of the country (unless you divide the continental United States up into quadrants then it would also include California, Nevada, Utah, Oklahoma and Colorado)... cultural geographically speaking (which is what we are talking about.. the cultural geography of the South.. not the literal map based geography of the South)... trust me, I have my degree in Geography... But again, historically Texas is considered the South because it fought with the Confederacy in the Civil war...

Oh and by the way the US Census Bureau defines Texas as the South.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Why do people insist on calling Texas the South, Southwest yes, Down South no.

Why do I "insist" on calling it the south? Because I'm from New Jersey, so to me it's the south. Why wouldn't it be? It's further south than South Carolina.

Any place where outsiders are called "damn yankees" I consider the south. And I heard this many times in Texas. So I consider Texas the south.

There is a difference in Yankees and damn Yankees. Damn Yankees move down here, Yankees just visit.
    Sorry. Just a little southern humor. Didn't mean to offend but if I did, Bless your heart.

True story ^^^^^^
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Try this story:
    My Dad was a Methodist minister, so when we went on a family vacation, we'd always stop somewhere on Sunday morning to attend worship services. The denomination didn't matter much, just whichever 'brand' was nearby at church time.
    In Oxford, Mississippi, we went to the Methodist Church. We sat down, and a gentleman introduced himself, Clyde Call-thop, with a heavy southern accent. (Later found out his surname was Colthorpe.)
    He and his wife insisted that we visit their home after church for Sunday dinner. (That means lunch to y'all yankees.)
    We went.
    Fried chicken, biscuits and gravy, mashed taters, blackeyed peas, iced tea, and pecan pie for dessert -- all home made.
    Never seen us before, but we were invited into their home to eat!
    Now, THAT'S southern hospitality.
  • jran3
    jran3 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The "south" is a cultural construct, and can be considered any state that fought with the confederacy during the civil war. So, Virginia is a southern state.* West Virginia is not a southern state.

Southern hospitality is definitely not a myth, but its prevalence is on the wane. There are true southern gentlemen, but you need to look very hard now to spot them.

America is a country of extremes, those extremes are even more pronounced in the south. Simply put, the south is the best and worst of America in so many ways.

Agree
    Finally, a true southerner never uses the term "yankee," especially not "damn yankee." The only people I ever heard saying that were northern poseurs trying to pretend they were from the south.

--P

* Virginia is the best southern state, btw. The sacred soil. But that is a topic for another thread. ;-)

Bless your heart. :wink:
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I work at a call center too. I would say you are dead-on. Folks in the NE are too impatient and loud and they are always the ones that think everyone but them is an idiot.
    My experience from a call center perspective is that people everywhere can be really, really rude, especially if it involves money. I've had a couple people who clearly don't understand how credit cards work tell me that I "clearly" didn't know what I was talking about.

When in reality they were just too stupid to know that pending charges are not processed charges.

But this happens with people from all over; I think the rudest, most entitled person I spoke to was an English woman calling from Vancouver, BC (where I once lived and found everyone I interacted with to be exceptionally polite) who wasn't smart enough to get her device working and then exclaimed "I want a -neeewww- one!" (With "new" being emphasized and in that high-pitched, spoiled brat tone.)

Southern women have been quite rude to me, and many a New Yorker has been ridiculously, exceptionally rude—but some have been really nice and great conversation, too.

Every time I've been in the south I've not met anyone who was nicer than anywhere else ...
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Well... obviously you are going to have your jerks and your nice people anywhere you go... but personally I HAVE noticed that as a general rule, people tend to be more polite as a whole in the south.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Try this story:
    My Dad was a Methodist minister, so when we went on a family vacation, we'd always stop somewhere on Sunday morning to attend worship services. The denomination didn't matter much, just whichever 'brand' was nearby at church time.
    In Oxford, Mississippi, we went to the Methodist Church. We sat down, and a gentleman introduced himself, Clyde Call-thop, with a heavy southern accent. (Later found out his surname was Colthorpe.)
    He and his wife insisted that we visit their home after church for Sunday dinner. (That means lunch to y'all yankees.)
    We went.
    Fried chicken, biscuits and gravy, mashed taters, blackeyed peas, iced tea, and pecan pie for dessert -- all home made.

That's awesome, and true Christian hospitality.
  • jran3
    jran3 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Looks like some Texans need geography lessons too. The South or Down South is the Southeast. Look it up. Down South existed before Texas was a state. And the War is over comment was a joke, but seriously I never heard Damn Yankees anywhere other than Texas. Hell, you say a pledge of allegiance to the state flag of Texas.

A great portion of Texas falls in the Southwest geographically, though there is debate about the Eastern portion of the state. I think its safe to say Texas is just Texas, neither South nor West.

Again, the labels of region are highly fluid... and I don't even know the pledge to the Texas flag... I don't know anyone that does, nor do I know any teacher that has their kids say it. And no, we fall into the South Central area of the country (unless you divide the continental United States up into quadrants then it would also include California, Nevada, Utah, Oklahoma and Colorado)... cultural geographically speaking (which is what we are talking about.. the cultural geography of the South.. not the literal map based geography of the South)... trust me, I have my degree in Geography... But again, historically Texas is considered the South because it fought with the Confederacy in the Civil war...

Oh and by the way the US Census Bureau defines Texas as the South.

Well, if the government says so, it's got to be true!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I work at a call center too. I would say you are dead-on. Folks in the NE are too impatient and loud and they are always the ones that think everyone but them is an idiot.
    My experience from a call center perspective is that people everywhere can be really, really rude, especially if it involves money. I've had a couple people who clearly don't understand how credit cards work tell me that I "clearly" didn't know what I was talking about.

When in reality they were just too stupid to know that pending charges are not processed charges.

But this happens with people from all over; I think the rudest, most entitled person I spoke to was an English woman calling from Vancouver, BC (where I once lived and found everyone I interacted with to be exceptionally polite) who wasn't smart enough to get her device working and then exclaimed "I want a -neeewww- one!" (With "new" being emphasized and in that high-pitched, spoiled brat tone.)

Southern women have been quite rude to me, and many a New Yorker has been ridiculously, exceptionally rude—but some have been really nice and great conversation, too.

Every time I've been in the south I've not met anyone who was nicer than anywhere else ...

Are you sure you don't work for the same company as me? :tongue:

Yes, people can be rude from anywhere, but it seems like people from the NE area are rude when they are simply asking for a branch office phone number or something as simple as that. They don't even have to be mad necessarily.

But yeah, when it comes to money, they are all *kitten* and idiots. :laugh:

NO ONE ever reads the cardholder agreement! EVER! :grumble:
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you can call this southern or maybe it's mid-west hospitality, then again this reminds me of growing up in Florida. I just came back again from Oklahoma. I was going to the post office with a hand full of boxes. An eight year old boy opens the door for me and when I say "thank you" I heard "your welcome". At walmart people don't leave items they don't want all over the store and you see carts being taken to the right places. Groceries are still carried out to the car too. When my Aunt's house was hit with lightening on Easter the fire department shows up, then all thier wifes with donuts and coffee, next comes the pastor and some church women. People called to ask what they could do. Maybe that's just small town living in the mid-west.When I leave the airport is the best! The stewardess and ride out of Oklahoma City is the best of any I have been in. I loved my last flight. We were all treated like first class. I started noticing more and more how little please, thank you and your welcome are used today. Those simple words go along ways. And the last thing to say is Thank you for reading :smile:

I agree with this. We need more please and thank you's! I'm from the North. Michigan to be exact.
    You are welcome. Thank you for writing it:)
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Why do people insist on calling Texas the South, Southwest yes, Down South no.

Southern Hospitality is about making you feel welcome and yes I do think Southerners welcome strangers. I have seen my family in South Carolina do it, while my family in NY always looks at outsiders with a degree of skepticism. But I'm right there with them. I'm not going to act like I'm your best friend if I don't know you. Not to say that some Southerners aren't genuine, I like the what you see is what you get approach.

We are actually more "South Central" as we aren't in the West either... But I do believe it has something to do with us siding with the Confederates in the Civil War.
    And you beat me to it.

Actually Texans are considered both Southeastern and Southwestern...just because we can be!
    Texas is quite large. Texas has been called the South, the Midwest, the Southwest, the Southeast. The only thing it's definately not is the North.

I think it depends. Where I am in North Texas is not "southern" I consider this more Midwest (I am near the Oklahoma border).
    When I go to South Texas or even East Texas that feels 'South' to me. I think that is where the debate comes in because of the sheer size of Texas. Then you get to places like El Paso and it is feels more "west" than South.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    it pays to be nice when everyone carries guns

Yes!
  • cwag_afw
    cwag_afw Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm born and raised in Alabama. Never lived anywhere else. Yes there's nice people everywhere. "Southern Hospitality" doesn't mean everyone in the South (Southeastern U.S.) is nice. There's azzholes everywhere. But we are culturally different about manners, treating women like ladies, chivalry, etc. I think it's a good thing.

Totally agree!
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I'm southern - Born in Augusta Ga, and raised in Columbia SC. I DO think southerners are more friendly, based on what I've experienced. I've been all over the US, and the only state that compares (IMO) to the people in SC is Texas.

Having said that, I know lots of people from all over who are awesome friends and great people in general.

I have NEVER said "bless your heart" in my life. KMA would be more my style if I didn't like you. LOL
  • cwag_afw
    Options
    Try this story:
    We went.

Love this!
  • cwag_afw
    Options
    We're just like you.... only prettier! ;) Bless your heart!