Options

Replies

• LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    bump to read later
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I live in the middle of NYC and wouldn't dream of carrying a gun. Thankfully it is really really really hard to get a concealed carry permit here.

Too many people, not enough space for bullets to fly benignly.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    After seeing some of the Canadians reactions towards this guy (and a few of the sweeping generalizations)... I have to shake my head... Not all of us American's over-react... Not all of us have a gun on our persons at all times... nor do all of us feel "naked" without one... With all that said, with the general affinity towards owning guns in this country, one is still more likely to be killed in a car accident... does that mean no one should own a car then?

But then I also think TSA a bunch of overreaction tripe as one is more likely to be hit by lightning twice in their life than to be killed in a terrorist attack of any kind.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    When I hike or bicycle alone I carry because, sadly, we do have a large homeless population, many living along the bike path, that includes many who are mentally ill and unstable and have been known to attack each other and other people randomly. I have fed them, occasionally put them up in hotels, and clothed them, but would also not hesitate to defend myself if one came at me with a knife, or I was attacked by a group while I was out biking. I hike alone and we have bears and mountain lions here, so I carry then also. We have a huge gang problem here, which has included drive by shootings in my middle class neighborhood after the gangbanger bought the house down the street. I don't always feel safe in my own home. When I was growing up, I roamed my neighborhood and the surrounding neighborhoods alone from the time I was four! Four!!! We left our front door unlocked, even at night. Its not the same world I grew up in. Bummer.

But that guy did sound like a whack job. People should have to pass a psychological profile to get a gun permit.
  • laprovocateur
    laprovocateur Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • whollybologna
    whollybologna Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are in small town saskatchewan but I was born in Toronto and we spent the early years of our marriage in St Catharines, Ontario, Canada. Before we moved here, there were drive by shootings down the road from my house. I thought it was a car backfiring the first night, because there was only one shot but the second night there were three and the paper said the first night a man was killed and the second night a woman walking with her baby was injured while the baby was unharmed. Needless to say this made me feel very nervous about moving to a new place.
    My second night in town I was walking home from a nearby church. The walk is 15 minutes at worst, but I could hear a snowmobile nearby and I didn't want to get hit. I didn't know how good their lights are. So I hear the snowmobile getting closer. I started speed walking. Before I knew it I could see their lights on my ankles. I tried to get over, and when I turned the corner and the lights followed I started running. I ran up the steps to my house and the snowmobile pulled up behind me and the driver stepped off!! I'm thinking forget drive by shooting, this guy is going to kill me! I throw myself into myself and lock the door behind me just in time to hear the banging on the door. My pulse racing and my heart beating so loudly, I can hear "ma'am? It's Rod from next door. There have been some coyotes in the area and I wanted to make sure you made it home safe." we laugh about it now, but it was obvious that my previous experience influenced my behavior.
    As a policeman for 20 years, I'm sure he's seen and heard his fair share of stories of people getting attacked in the park. His past experiences have obviously influenced his thoughts on strangers. I'm not saying his prejudices were a good thing. I'm just saying we don't know what he's been through. For him the calgarians very well might have brought up memories that For him warranted the need to protect his wife and in his mind, even carry a gun.
    Maybe some words on behalf of the "thugs" like, "I'm sorry to bother you folks, I hope you have a pleasant day" might have given him a better idea of what Canadians are like.
    In Canada we know we're nice, and especially in the west, we are polite to a fault. But some Americans are apprehensive of strangers. I think we need to do our best not to judge based on their behavior since we don't know what past experiences could have coloured this current one.
  • BodyCombatGirl73
    BodyCombatGirl73 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Have to say, really happy to be Canadian. It's just not in our mindset to even think about owning a gun (except for those that legitimately hunt). Everytime I head south of the border, upon my return home, I literally feel a sense of ease wash over me as we cross back into Canada. I could cross back into Canada miles away from where I live, and be in unfamiliar territory, but it's home and I instantely feel safe.

Now, I will add that I have never some across any suspect situation while travelling in the States...it's a good thing that my brain doesn't even register, "...that person might have a gun on them."! All the people I have ever met and interacted with have been great, but just glad to live on this side of the border. And I have to add, your Border agents scare the CRAP out of me, be it travelling by air or by car. And I have NOTHING to hide, so really, nothing to be afraid of, but they make me so nervous, I get tongue-tied trying to respond to their questions!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Have to say, really happy to be Canadian. It's just not in our mindset to even think about owning a gun (except for those that legitimately hunt). Everytime I head south of the border, upon my return home, I literally feel a sense of ease wash over me as we cross back into Canada. I could cross back into Canada miles away from where I live, and be in unfamiliar territory, but it's home and I instantely feel safe.

Now, I will add that I have never some across any suspect situation while travelling in the States...it's a good thing that my brain doesn't even register, "...that person might have a gun on them."! All the people I have ever met and interacted with have been great, but just glad to live on this side of the border. And I have to add, your Border agents scare the CRAP out of me, be it travelling by air or by car. And I have NOTHING to hide, so really, nothing to be afraid of, but they make me so nervous, I get tongue-tied trying to respond to their questions!

Meh... they just annoy the hell out of me... them and TSA... Though I will say, the border agents on the south border have a right to act all suspicious... they have to deal with the dumbass human/drug/gun runners...
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    And I have to add, your Border agents scare the CRAP out of me, be it travelling by air or by car. And I have NOTHING to hide, so really, nothing to be afraid of, but they make me so nervous, I get tongue-tied trying to respond to their questions!

LOL. That's part of the training I am sure. I crossed the border a lot when I lived in Toronto, and on one particular trip to Florida the US Border guy asked, the usual...'Citizenship?' 'Canadian' 'Destination?' 'Florida' 'Reason for travelling?' 'Vacation and golf'

Then 'So what's up today fellas?' Long pause... I said 'Fore!' He chuckled and said 'Have a great time.' I'm certain it was meant to throw us off, possibly to reveal a lie.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options

I think that if I have a concealed weapons permit, that if I go to any other sort of place I should be able to carry my weapon. For what ever reason I feel necessary. Just like if you get married in Florida, your marriage is recognized everywhere else in the WORLD. So why not be able to carry elsewhere.

riiiiiiiiiiiiiight...because being married and carrying a gun are so similar :huh:
    [/quote]

Sorry sweetie, I have to agree with Dane on this one....when we're referring to life-ending weapons, we must respect the laws of other countries.
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    Well, I guess I won't be asking anyone if they've seen the stampede then...
  • happypath101
    Options
    What an interesting article! It just goes to show how fear (and other negative emotions) can alter your perception.

Did you ever write to the paper and tell your side of encounter? I wonder if it would make a difference? It probably wouldn't to that fella (he'd justify his fear at the expense of reason), but perhaps it would to others.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

This! Or if you do prepare for it to be the last sentence you ever utter.... *pew pew* (that was the noise of my tiny finger guns*
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options

This! Or if you do prepare for it to be the last sentence you ever utter.... *pew pew* (that was the noise of my tiny finger guns*

Haha, It's pretty ridiculous that someone could take such an obvious attempt at being friendly as a sign that they were going to be assaulted or something.
    What if that tourist had been carrying a gun and acted there?
    Would have injured or killed two Canadians just trying to be friendly.
    Ugh, people!!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    After seeing some of the Canadians reactions towards this guy (and a few of the sweeping generalizations)... I have to shake my head... Not all of us American's over-react... Not all of us have a gun on our persons at all times... nor do all of us feel "naked" without one...

Well, in all fairness we do live in different countries and have different cultures so it's not surprising that we find this rather odd and don't quite know what's up with Americans.

I guess I'm fairly used to being approached by 'aggressive' strangers and see this fellow's reaction and think he totally blew things out of proportion. BUT, I have no idea what his life has been like and what kind of experiences he's had in his country.

All that said, a concealed weapon wouldn't have made that situation any better and perhaps it would have made things worse.

I can tell you one thing Canadians definitely aren't used to civilians having weapons on their person. Now THAT would freak me out. A hell of a lot more then some guy aggressively approaching me and my family in public.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I am in Colorado and we carry open and concealed. It is SO nice to know you are protected.
    Personally I prefer knowing that, so long as you stay away from organised crime, you're not at risk of being shot.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    reading that i could have sworn it must be an Onion article.

that guys gives Americans a bad name.

Yes, how embarassing. :embarassed: What an entitled jerk to think that because he can do something in his own country, he should be able to do it in another. Does he not realize that he is a GUEST in that country? If you can't follow the rules of another country, then stay the hell home. Thanks for making us look bad, idiot.

I remember my trip to France, Spain, and Italy. The only other Americans I saw were a group of loud, obnoxious, entitled fools. I hoped I wouldn't be judged harshly for their bad behavior. As a guest, I went out of my way to be polite and gracious everywhere I went, and all the people I met wherever I went were very friendly and open to me. I think you get back what you give. :flowerforyou:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I am in Colorado and we carry open and concealed. It is SO nice to know you are protected.
    Personally I prefer knowing that, so long as you stay away from organised crime, you're not at risk of being shot.

Not true, unfortunately.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    That guy makes Americans look like effin' idiots.

The Aurora shooting (which was absolutely tragic) and the Columbine shooting (equally tragic) in no way, shape, or form, prove that people should be allowed to carry concealed handguns.

What a nutjob. I think he secretly hates Canadians and just needed a reason to rant on them.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Not true, unfortunately.
    It is for every part of Europe I've visited. Your mileage may vary according to where you live, of course.