Would you run loops?

Options
I have a loop around my neighborhood that is about half a mile.

I am working on Couch to 5K (middle of week 5). I have been doing it on the treadmill because I have IBS and I rather enjoy the security of knowing my bathroom is right upstairs if I need it (rather than being 2 miles away on a trail somewhere).

However, I would also like to run outside in the coming weeks as the temperature starts dropping here. So, I was *thinking* of using the loop...however during the course of a workout it would mean I lap the whole neighborhood probably 5 or 6 times (at least by the end when I am supposed to be running 5K)....does that sound ridiculous? It would provide me with the outside AND with my bathroom not far at all. Would my neighbors think I am an idiot or something?

Replies

• jkeeling39
    Options
    I have a loop around my neighborhood that is about half a mile.

I am working on Couch to 5K (middle of week 5). I have been doing it on the treadmill because I have IBS and I rather enjoy the security of knowing my bathroom is right upstairs if I need it (rather than being 2 miles away on a trail somewhere).

However, I would also like to run outside in the coming weeks as the temperature starts dropping here. So, I was *thinking* of using the loop...however during the course of a workout it would mean I lap the whole neighborhood probably 5 or 6 times (at least by the end when I am supposed to be running 5K)....does that sound ridiculous? It would provide me with the outside AND with my bathroom not far at all. Would my neighbors think I am an idiot or something?

Whatever works.

As far as your neighbors, how often do you look outside and note when people run by? I don't think it is something that anyone does unless they are out working on their yard. Do what it takes.
  • horsehockey
    horsehockey Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If the option made the most sense, sure.... i hate even going over the same tarmac 2x on my jogs however, not sure why that is :)
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    90% of my runs are on a one-mile loop at a park near my house. I know some of the others at the park think I'm a nutbar. I have heard people go "honey, omg, she's here AGAIN." Oh well. :) It's what works for me right now.
  • GypsyWillow22
    GypsyWillow22 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sounds boring. Go to the bathroom right before your run. Take different routes. When you get to the middle of your run, turn around.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Sounds boring. Go to the bathroom right before your run.
    She has IBS. Having easy access to a bathroom isn't a trivial consideration.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I often run laps. Our street. runs in a half-mile loop. When I do interval training I will often run the loop over and over and over and over... Not the most exciting run, but it serves a purpose!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've done laps (in a park about a block from my house, not around the block passing my house), and there's some days they're ok, but mostly, it bores the pants off me and makes it easier to quit.

If I'm a mile and a half from home and I want to stop running, I'm going to get a three mile workout whether I want it or not.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    With IBS, I think it's a great solution to getting outside! Run the loop. Enjoy!
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Your neighbors would be idiots if they think you're crazy. If anything, they should just think "There she is again, on another lap! Good for her"

If you're worried about boredom, better than a treadmill right?
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Sounds boring. Go to the bathroom right before your run.
    She has IBS. Having easy access to a bathroom isn't a trivial consideration.

<3

I wish I didn't have to worry so much about that stupid toilet.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I do it, mainly because that gets a monsterous hill sprint involved 7-8 times. I go early enough where people aren't out, but who cares what other people think when you work out?
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Sounds great to me! Easy to push yourself to new distance because you can say things like "Just 2 more circles around!" and it seems like a small distance but keep pushing and it gets more and more. :)

It is also great to be close to home just in case.
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a wonderful idea, I say do it! Running outside can feel so much better too. I use a similar tactic if there is a chance of thunderstorms about to happen, that way if I won't be miles away if it starts to get nasty out!
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I live 2 blocks from an elementary school with a large soccer field. I've run laps around it and seen a lot of other people do the same. I think it's perfectly ok especially if you're familiar with the route and won't be too far from home should your IBS cause problems.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I used to run laps too before I had access to a bike path. At first I was a little self conscience, but you know what. Who cares! You are out there running, bettering your health. If they want to sit there on their couches and judge you, screw them.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I would use the loop...if anything they are going to be...

"wow she's sure serious about getting in shape"
  • Vaibhav_ace
    Vaibhav_ace Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I run loops around my neighborhood, with my dog. Its a 1 mile loop. Sometimes I know I will see other dog walkers on my 2nd loop, so to make it more fun, I try to imagine where I would like to pass them on second round. Makes it fun :)
  • GaryRussell123456
    GaryRussell123456 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It makes perfect sense. Go for it.
  • Nikkei24
    Nikkei24 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I run a loop in my neighborhood.... And i literally wave and pass some of the same neighbors a dozen times. They don't seem to mind and I definitley don't lol. Go for it!
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I often go figure 8's or various windy ways round my block, and the next block.
    I've also learnt alot of cut throughs so i can get bome by covering a short distance.
    So i think it sounds like a grat plan,
    Enjoy running outside, and who cares what others think.
    They are either jelous , or thinking good on you.