New Nike Ad featuring 12 year old...opinions?

Options
I was just reading an article on CNN about the new Nike Ad featuring a 12 year old overweight boy running in...of course...Nike shoes. The question was, are they exploiting him or is it inspiring?

So I thought I'd get the opinions here. What do you think?

If you haven't seen it...here's a link (I think!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JnYcuRW_qo

Replies

• itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize that was a 12-year-old! I've read an interview with him and he said something to the effect that doing the commercial was a real eye-opener for him (he didn't realize how hard it would be to run even that short distance) and that he was going to start trying to be healthy.

But whenever I hear of kids running all I can think of is this: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/02/23/us-girl-running-murder-charge.html

As long as he's got adults helping him and letting him know what's healthy and what's not, then I guess it's okay. But if they're doing it for their own reasons, well, it could be a bad thing.
  • cass0107
    cass0107 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't know any in-depth information to this story - I've seen the commercial and I read a small piece about it, but I found it very inspiring. From what I read he gets up before school everyday to run. The fact that he has that dedication at such a young age I think is great. He inspires me to get off my butt and do things when I don't want to - if a 12 year old has that discipline, I should, too!
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I think it's great.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    What? 12 year olds aren't supposed to run? I don't understand the controversy.
  • jkeeling39
    Options
    I could see how it could be taken as exploitation of this kid and other kids in his situation. But if it gets just one person off the couch to make a change for the better then I think it is a great commercial.
  • rfarinha
    rfarinha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I saw both the young man and his Mom on the Today Show. Neither one of them expected that there would be a "controversy" over the commercial. I especially love what the young man said... "Some people have nothing better to do" if they want to complain about the commercial. LOVE IT! He said that it was fun and that he felt special that he was chosen!

Personally I LOVE the message of the commercial... you don't have to be a highly trained athlete to "Find your Greatness"... it's within all of us!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i think it is great and hopes it motivates other young overweight people to get active....if one can do why can't all of them....we will become a more fit nation for sure....

makes me want to get up in the AM to run - if he can do it why can't i?????

soooo, tomorrow i will!!!!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I thought it was a touching commercial, and well done.
    Not many of us "ran" like that when I was little, but we did a whole lot of other activities.
    We stayed active.
  • rfarinha
    rfarinha Posts: 388 Member
    Options

The "controversy" is because the 12 yr old weighs 200 lbs. But I agree with the boy... some people have nothing better to do but look for stuff to complain about.
  • suenix24
    suenix24 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I thought it was a great commercial.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    LOL he looks old. I know I'm fat but I don't look THAT old. And he's only 5'3"? Wow.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

The debate is because the boy weighs more than 99% of other kids his age (according to the CNN article). Some people feel that Nike is exploiting that for the commercial. Some people find it inspiring.
  • Nikkei24
    Nikkei24 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I saw this commercial and at first thought w.t.f. but than I thought they should show people who run no matter what age or size. I also want to point out that my Fiance was really inspired by the commercial and after it ended literally said to me how great he thinks it is. It is meant to be inspiring if you view it any other way it is you not the commercial.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    While obviously I hate to see that he's overweight, I love the commercial and find it inspiring. The kid is out there doing his thing and he's working. I find it more identifiable than a "perfect" athlete wearing the shoes.
  • mom2dms
    mom2dms Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I was just reading an article on CNN about the new Nike Ad featuring a 12 year old overweight boy running in...of course...Nike shoes. The question was, are they exploiting him or is it inspiring?

So I thought I'd get the opinions here. What do you think?

If you haven't seen it...here's a link (I think!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JnYcuRW_qo

I saw an interview with him yesterday. He said he auditioned for the part and had fun doing it. Maybe it will help jump start a new path for him to get healthy
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    i didn't know it was a kid either. i LOVE the commercial though.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Dare I hope that this is first in a series, that he keeps running and learning, and by the next Olympics is lettering in track?
  • Rebel2267
    Options
    Obviously the boy's parents were involved. It isn't as if Nike just plucked him off the street, filmed the commercial and told him to get lost. No way this is exploitation, especially since it may open the eyes of both the young and old about the state of our children's physical fitness. Sure, they may get a few more shoe sales out of the deal, but so what? Companies can be both for profit, and not evil.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Human nature. People are going to try to find a reason to be offended. You can't please everyone.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I found it to be inspiring.