I live in the south...but I want to eat healthy

Options
1235»

Replies

• amandal15
    amandal15 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You can eat healthy or eat terrible anywhere. It is YOUR CHOICE. I'm sorry, but using the place you live as the reason you can't eat healthy is a crutch. Sorry if that's harsh. No one is making you eat certain things. It is your choice what you fill your body with.

She is absolutely right. However, in The South, sometimes that CHOICE means you have to starve yourself at gatherings, appear rude for not eating the food they have prepared and everyone knows that is a blow to any Southern host. You have to wash the BBQ sauce off the chicken before eating it, not participate in cultural events like the Jambalaya Festival, Boudin Festival, etc. It other words, dieting in the South is really NOT fun! Literally.

Thank you!
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    You can eat healthy or eat terrible anywhere. It is YOUR CHOICE. I'm sorry, but using the place you live as the reason you can't eat healthy is a crutch. Sorry if that's harsh. No one is making you eat certain things. It is your choice what you fill your body with.

She is absolutely right. However, in The South, sometimes that CHOICE means you have to starve yourself at gatherings, appear rude for not eating the food they have prepared and everyone knows that is a blow to any Southern host. You have to wash the BBQ sauce off the chicken before eating it, not participate in cultural events like the Jambalaya Festival, Boudin Festival, etc. It other words, dieting in the South is really NOT fun! Literally.

Yeah, but those events are the exception, not the rule. I mean, you aren't getting together for holidays or going to food festivals for 90% of your meals, are you?

Something like that even once a week isn't going to put a damper on the rest of your diet if you're eating well otherwise, especially if you have reasonable portion sizes of the "bad" foods.
  • BadAssUnicorn
    Options

Thank you!

Oh really? So you go to those festivals every day? Get real.

This is your life. Make a choice. Live your healthy life 80% of the time and enjoy family events and your Boudin Festival or whatever 20% of the time. I've lived in the south for a long time I don't have a problem making healthy choices for myself or my family. Everybody knows I eat healthy and workout, (more than most) but when I'm invited somewhere I am a gracious guest. Maybe that means I run a few extra miles, or maybe that means I say "no, thank you" a little louder and more often. You have to stand up for yourself, your health and your family. So decide what you want and get after it. Using geography as an excuse is just about the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    being southern we as a whole tend to over cook food i still cook with butter and bacon grease tho mmm love the flavor i just eat a little less of my southern cooking as for picky eaters my dad was one of those you ate what was put in front of you or you didnt get up the exceptions for me was ruttabega and oatmeal cause both trigger a gag reflex with me
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I was going to make a smartass comment about coming back after I wash the deep fried butter from my fingers, but then I remembered that I live south of the south.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I was going to make a smartass comment about coming back after I wash the deep fried butter from my fingers, but then I remembered that I live south of the south.

Me too. :laugh: On the map, we're more "South" than the "Southerners." Someone needs to tell our abundant redneck population they need to move, asap!
  • llmcconnell
    llmcconnell Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    There is an over-abundance of unhealthy food in the south -- primarily the southeast. I never thought twice about it until I traveled to the west and the mountains more. Everywhere you go out there has vegan/vegetarian/gluten-free/organic options. NOWHERE in florida has those types of restaurants, everything is unhealthy here. I went to SLC for a week and came back only a pound heavier -- that's with eating out for lunch and dinner; and I come back to florida and eat out once and gain 4 pounds. So yes, there is an over-abundance of bad food here.

I enjoy my healthy food and for the most part go to farmer's markets and eat fresh fruit/vegetables and lean meats. But if you want to go out to eat your options of healthy meals are very limited -- best to just avoid it all-together.

This is dumb, but shout out to SLC!!
    In response to the original post.. urbanspoon.com has options for restaurants hopefully in your area..