NEED TO LOSE 100 LBS OR MORE !

Options

Replies

• RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to drop the word phalarope in this thread for those oldies who might be on vacation and still looking for this thread.

I just got back from swimming for 25 minutes. It was such a great feeling and I had the pool all to myself. Did a "Chuck Berrie" duck walk across the pool at the 3 foot deep section a couple of times. Its hard for me to bend at the knees but the water makes it easier to do. I felt like a rock star!
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Whew, found this thread. I posted to it early this month, and seem to have gotten in just under the wire.
    I started with this website at the beginning of the month. I have more than 100 lbs to lose - so much, it feels like I have another person wrapped around me.
    I also have one replaced hip, severe asthma, achy knees, and a very sedentary life (I work full-time as a writer).
    In addition , I have a very demanding hubby who currently is recovering from surgery, but even when not recovering, is still quite demanding.

So: here's what I've been doing:
    1) Since August 1, I've been using this website to track my food, honestly and without judgment. If I eat more than the day's allotment, that's fine. I needed to know what and how I eat.
    2) Since yesterday, I have committed to eating within the caloric allotment. As I have a vicious sweet tooth and am a huge nibbler (my mother calls it "hand to mouth disease"), that means keeping a LOT of fruit at work. So far, it seems to be helping.
    3) I am working my way up to being able to walk on the treadmill. Ideally, I'd like to do 20 minutes a day. For now, just hopping on (well. more like lumbering on) and doing 5 to 10 minutes will be a victory.

As you can probably tell, my philosophy is baby steps. Trying to do everything in one swell foop will not help me achieve my goal.
    baby steps and loving myself throughout the process will.

Cheers, everyone!
  • ravenlaramie
    ravenlaramie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Tuesday goal: I want to start drinking more water now. (simple and to the point)
  • tekavincent
    tekavincent Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I think I've got it this time!
  • vinsonh42
    vinsonh42 Posts: 125
    Options
    Tuesday goals...hmmmmm comtinue to work out with my sister like i did last night. My 35 minute cardio session seemed so short with her in there to chat with. We did some light weight lifting. Tonight more cardio and abb/core/strength work out will be added. We are going to alternate the core and lifting work outs do each 3x's a week with one day just cardio. I'm thinking about getting some protein powder so I can have a protein shake after my work out. Any suggestions to which is best or more favored?
  • tekavincent
    tekavincent Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Tuesday's goals
    First, I need to buy a scale. I've been using my sister's, but I have now moved 3 hours away from her. Not quite practical to continue using her scale.
    Second, I have committed to 10 by Labor Day. I think that means about 3 1/3 this week.
    Third, I have committed to 30 by Halloween.
    Fourth, I will be leading a youth leadership retreat in January. I would love to be down that 30 + a few more.
    Fifth, the purpose of my move was to become the Principal for a brand new PreK through 12th grade private school. I would love to look good at May graduation and awards ceremony - perhaps at least 50 + a few more?

Lofty goals? Scary from this side of the fence.:noway:
  • Meadows_Mommy05
    Options
    BUMP

Wow I already have 4 pages to catch up on!!!!

Don't forget to drink your water

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    :explode: So I am having a horrible day. I am having that time of the month for the first time in three months and it scuks. I feel crappy and I am starving. So far I havent gone crazy but all I can think about is food. I have always had a "hungry day" this time of the month and would just graze through the whole day using biology as an excuse. So far i have only strayed a little from the eating plan and ate about three trays of ice pretending it is food, lol. I know I can do this but sometimes it is alot harder then others. Anyway ty for listening to my little rant.:sad:
  • HeatheraRyan
    HeatheraRyan Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have to share this...... :smile:

Top 10 things I've learned along the way

1. The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday - I borrowed this saying from my MFP pal Brutesquad (who borrowed it from the Navy Seals), but it sums it all up better than anything else I can think of. If you became obese, you will fight the “battle of the bulge” for the rest of your life. Apparently the most recent science from Yale and Cornell supports this phenomena - - one that most of us have experienced first-hand. Even if you reach your “ideal” weight after much effort, and hold it there for years; your body remembers that it was once heavy and wants to get back to that nice comfy place where they serve jelly doughnuts. You will always need to consume less calories than someone who is the same size as you, but who spent their entire life at the “ideal weight.” So, as many have said before, this must be a lifestyle change, not a temporary change. Diets are great to get you started, but no “diet tricks” will ever work for maintaining your weight. If you “diet” and then go back to your old method of eating, then you will just gain it all right back. You have to keep hammering away at the fat enemy every day for the rest of your life. You can whine about how unfair this all is, or you can accept it and get to work.

2. Eat Less and Move More - That is the only answer to the weight problem. Now, tomorrow and 50 years from now, if you want to weigh less you have to do both of these things. I don’t care whether you go paleo, Atkins, low calorie, low fat, vegan, or whatever floats your boat. I don't care if you run, swim, lift, bike, or zumba. If it means you eat less than you burn every day, go with it. One approach may work better for you than another, and you can adjust things up and down as needed for your body situation, goals and metabolism, but this unforgiving rule of physics is one you cannot escape. You have to burn more calories than you take in to lose weight. And, you have to burn just as many calories as you take in to stay at that weight; every week from now until you are pushing up daisies. Anybody who tells you different and promises a “miracle” fix is lying.

3. Do Something You Like - You need to, for the most part, enjoy your fitness journey, or at least not hate it. If you hate your exercise routine, and it feels like torture every day, you will fail. Willpower alone can only take you so far. Once you figure out what you have to do (to meet Rule #2) and find exercises you enjoy (or at least can tolerate), you can go on cruise control and just go out and get it done every day. I know; you don’t like exercise, right? So find the ones you hate the least and do them until you learn to like them! You will enjoy them more than the diabetes/stroke/heart attack which are behind Door #2.

4. Do The (Hard) Work - I hate to break it to you, but you have got to work hard to make body changes. There is no fitness system, pill, or gizmo that will ever give you a flat stomach, a firm butt, or the physique you want. If you think there is, you will be continually disappointed and poorer for it. What “hard” means will vary from person to person, but you have to challenge your body and fitness level if you want them to change. Depending on your fitness level, a 5 minute brisk walk may be “hard.” Do it anyway if you want results. If you don’t want results, why are you reading this?

5. Eat some damn breakfast - I know its early - just do it. Your body will thank you.

6. Drink a bunch of water - Seriously! Keep drinking it every day. Drink ½ your body weight in ounces or as much as you can stand, whichever comes first. It helps. It also keeps you away from soda and sugared drinks which is HUGE for cutting calories.

7. Don't allow yourself to get HUNGRY - Eat something (preferably something healthy) at least every four hours unless you are sleeping. That “I could eat a horse” feeling will lead to trouble – metabolically speaking.

8. Eat Stuff That Used to Be Alive - I am not an “All Natural Organic Everything” type of guy, but I get the argument. If all you eat is a bunch of chemicals, why are you surprised that you feel lousy? I never read a food label before this year, but when I started doing it – wow, what an eye opener (both from a calorie and an ingredient standpoint). I don’t care what the carb/protein/fat mix is as long as you are hitting your nutrient and calorie goals, and you feel good, but the stuff that used to be a part of nature had better be the foundation of each meal. Everybody eats processed foods from time to time, but try to keep them to a minimum. They tend to offer less fiber, less nutritional value, and are less satiating. Thus, you eat more which is how we all got here. Most of the natural stuff is packed with fiber. Fiber's effect is the opposite of snack foods’. When you have fiber in your stomach, food takes longer to enter the bloodstream, and your blood-sugar level stays steady. You stay sane and your body works efficiently to burn calories - it's win-win.

9. Make a Plan - If you haven’t thought about how you will get your workouts in, or how you will meet, but not exceed, your calorie goals, don’t be surprised when you fail. Fail to Plan, Plan to Fail. How you do it is up to you, but you better make a plan and stick to it. Figure out your BMR, your TDEE, and adjust your Plan as needed. Find a goal and make your plan to reach it. I don't care if its a target weight, a little pink bikini, or a marathon finish. Write it down, and work at reaching that goal. Wing it, and you might as well say “Goodbye diet - hello diabetes.”

10. Don’t Quit - If you fall off the horse, you get back on. It’s as simple as that. Life will put obstacles in your path, and you will fail from time to time. Just don’t quit. You, and your loved ones, are worth the effort. Mine certainly are. Yours are too, aren't they?

Remember, the only easy day was yesterday. (Sorry, I don't make the rules - I've just gotta live with them the same as everyone else.) I didn't think any of this stuff up, I just learned it the hard way.

Got it? Great, now go get to work! You got this!

I am going to copy this, print it out, and post it in my cubicle. Very inspirational, thank you!

Tuesday Goal: It isn't weight related, but I will be getting exercise. I want to clean my closet and bathroom this week. I need to find a place for stuff that I can't throw away but don't use often (like the cat carrier) so that I can have my big soaking tub back. I also need somewhere to put my dirty clothes hamper so that my bf will put his dirty clothes in it, so he is going to clean his side of the bedroom and that is where it is going :)
  • janak2004
    janak2004 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Tuesday Goals:

My goals for this week are:

~ to get to Week 5 of C25K and dominate the 8 minute run!
    ~ Continue to drink water daily (I haven't had a soda in almost a month!)
    ~ Continue working out even when I'm tired in the mornings and if I don't work out in the mornings, do a full session after work
    ~ Eat more veggies!!!!!!!! (I get plenty of fruit)
    ~ Continue to make school a great place for my students. I have noticed that as long as I show up to work in a good mood and am ready to work, so are they. I think this is something I can do easily.
    ~ Keep my house picked up 5/7 days a week. (So far so good!)

Hope everyone has a great day! :)
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Tuesday goals - I posted this on my profile earlier, "Today is my first day... again. I've been entirely frustrated by my reduction lately, or lack thereof. Whatever I am doing I am doing it very very wrong. So today I am starting over. It's obvious that I cannot eat back exercise calories and expect to reduce. Nightly binges aren't doing me any favors either, even if they are covered by exercise calories (which I no longer have). I bought a food scale, now I need to use it, a lot. I am actually proud of myself about my exercise habits, just HAVING exercise habits feels pretty awesome. The values that MFP gives for calories burned is way the hell off though, so I am just going to reduce my calories burned by half. I am announcing this to you all so that it is real, something that I need to be doing everyday. aug" That's my goals then. Better food choices, less junk, more exercise, and less fibbing.

@Bella - You have a tough row to hoe, I'm pulling for ya. Here's praying

@Skinnyjeanzbound - I think your husband is alright, we BBQ snobs are very close that way.

aug

@Aug: I haven't used the MFP eercise values in a very long time since I got an HRM. I've compared the two values before and the HRM calories are usually way over what mfp says. Not sure what formula they use but its not reliable in that slightest.
    I think its awesome you're getting back on the horse. :drinker: Here's to ya!

I"m not sure but I think the MFP exercise values are understated because they may be based on what a person of average weight would burn while doing the listed exercises. Good news for the rest of us ... while we're whittling away the pounds!
  • ushkii
    ushkii Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Touch and Go, I have been off camping and now have to go tommorrow to pick up my mom. It seems something is always draging away my time.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @jt--sorry you are having a bad day--crunching on ice is smart; I mindlessly do it a restaurants all the time (my mom used to yell at me for it), but I will have to try that trick at home!

@teka--nice to see you again and congrats on the new job!! There's nothing wrong with lofty goals--that's why they call it a "challenge" right?

@robin-you're so funny! :laugh: I love the image of your duck-walking across the pool!

@chris--ugh! I used to hate running in PE class! I think it was mostly b/c of those retched uniforms we had to wear--no, not the shorts and t-shirts kids wear nowadays (the class right after mine got those). No, we still had the "old-school" shorts jumpsuits that zipped up the front--so unattractive even on the skinny girls, which I was NOT! Yuck!!

@doug & aug--You know I was just thinking about the difference between MFP's values and my HRM. My HRM is almost always way higher. Then I started thinking that my weight loss dramatically slowed right after I got my HRM, so maybe prior to that, I wasn't really eating back all of my exercise calories (since the values were wrong. I've been seriously considering switching back to MFP's numbers just to see if the weight starts dropping again. Not sure if that's a good idea...

@aug--yes, he's turning me into a snob as well. My BFF hosted a party on Saturday and she kept calling it a BBQ--I kept calling it a cookout. :wink:

@vani--glad you're back on the horse!

@bella--no need to apologize; you are giving more than your share of support to your family right now. Let us support you, and we know you wil give it back down the road when we are in need. :smile:

@robin--I should have guessed you are left-handed--you seem like a creative right-brained person (which means likely left-handed). I am actually a rare left-brained, left-hander--so people expect to have this really creative streak, but I'm mostly analytical and logical.

@rebecca--I am also struggling with the weight around my middle :grumble: . I'll let you know if I find the magic solution for that. :wink: Glad you got to the Garden Show--getting your life back is the greatest victory of all!

@tina--you'll get back in the groove--I know you will b/c even with all of the frustrations and struggles, you are still here and trying. If you were going to fail, you would have already quit and we would all be saying "Hey, I wonder what happened to Tina--haven't heard from her in awhile..." It took me several months to get out of my similar "funk."

@joe--thanks for sharing that Top 10.

@gigi--glad you managed to stay under with bacon and pizza--proof that we can make almost any foods fit our calorie allowance if we're willing to pay for them through exercise.

Tuesday Goals update:
    Got my room arranged and prepped the first 2 weeks of my H Am Lit course with my co-worker. Didn't get my Gatsby binder done b/c for some reason almost everyone in our dept. decided to come work today. It was really distracting b/c we would just finish catching up with someone we hadn't seen all summer, would get back to our planning, and someone else would walk in. It was a vicious cycle. I plan to go back tomorrow or Thursday to finish the binder and prep for my AP class.

Lunch was good--neither of us could decide if we wanted a burger or chicken sandwich, so we got one of each and split them.

Now I'm going to take my puppy for a run so I don't miss my 10 day running goal! Will check back later!
  • chocolatemint12
    chocolatemint12 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ETA: Sorry, I deleted my post. I didn't see I wasn't welcomed until I looked further into the posts. I don't know how to delete the post in it's entirety.
  • vidvox
    vidvox Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hey folks!

Well I had a really bad food day today - didn't eat anything healthy until supper. Got a walk in though so that's good. But I put it all in my food journal, which is good I guess.

Tuesday Goal #1 - start jogging again. Haven't jogged since my skinny days but I really want to try and get back into it. I'm doing a 5K run/walk in October - I've walked it the last 2 years but would like to try and run it this time.

Goal #2 - cut down on the coffee drinking. I've had 4 so far today and it's only 6pm. Should at least switch to tea, then I can have it with milk rather than 10% cream (can't stand milk in coffee).

Keep up the good work, everyone!
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind words and support during the past week. I have been trying to read the thread but have been neglecting in the support area big time:blushing: . I apologize for not responding to posts.

Tuesday Goals :flowerforyou:

1. Right now my main goal is to get some sort of order back. I need to work on getting everyone back on schedule so I can function properly and keep my sanity :laugh: .

2. Find someone to clean my mother's house. I just do not have enough time in my day to take care of my condo and clean her 5 bedroom home. My ultimate goal would be to sell the house and move her into her favorite retirement home but that will not be an easy task. She will not give up that house with out a fight so I'm definitely going to have to take baby steps with that plan :bigsmile: .

3. Get back to my exercise schedule at the gym and back to walking my trails. I refuse to let all that has happened derail my weight loss progress. I have worked too hard the past 2 years to lose 86 lbs and get my knees back in motion to quit now.

you're a good daughter.
  • HeatheraRyan
    Options
    :explode: So I am having a horrible day. I am having that time of the month for the first time in three months and it scuks. I feel crappy and I am starving. So far I havent gone crazy but all I can think about is food. I have always had a "hungry day" this time of the month and would just graze through the whole day using biology as an excuse. So far i have only strayed a little from the eating plan and ate about three trays of ice pretending it is food, lol. I know I can do this but sometimes it is alot harder then others. Anyway ty for listening to my little rant.:sad:

I know how you feel. Have you tried just buying a bunch of healthy snacks and then grazing all day on those instead of eating whatever is handy? I did that this last time of the month (I get mine every month so I've had practice) and it totally helped me not to over eat. I love love love the Special K chocolate bars. They are sooo yummy!
  • HeatheraRyan
    Options
    New Tuesday Goals:
    -Log everything I eat every day no matter how big or small it is.
    -Carry around measuring cups so I can make sure I eat the proper amount of food when I go out to eat. (This will also make it easier to track)
    -Start walking during the first 30min of my 1hr lunch at work.
  • tungsten93
    tungsten93 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    @vinson - I recently bought Optimum Nutrition 100% Natural Whey Protein in Vanilla and I really like it. Sometimes I add 1/2 banana but usually I add 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder. They also make a chocolate flavor and I'm going to try that one next time.

Tuesday Goals - To try to do a better job of keeping up with this group than I did today. I've been skimming the posts but haven't had time to offer any support or motivation today. I really appreciate it when someone comments on my posts so I try to return the favor as much as possible.
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    @Lin sorry to hear that you had a hard time sleeping last night. I hope you are able to get some good rest tonight.
    @Monachris. Glad to read that you got in those 2 walks. Those doggies can really help us with that.
    @Joe I love reading your top ten list.
    @Bella Big Hug
    @Robin its fun to have the pool to your self.

Tuesday Goals. Since last Saturday was such a personal favorite love swimming.
    goal is to go. 3 times a week. Walk my doggie 2 times a day.
    another goal is to plan something special to do for myself non food related.

I am sure I am missing someone. Sorry! Wishing everyone a good evening.
    Thank you
    Liz