Yes this is my weight....

Options
It feels very cathartic and freeing to be able to finally say my weight. I've been stating it out loud since starting on MFP. I'm not proud of the fact I weight 310lbs, but I feel good that I can finally say it out loud. The secret is revealed so to speak. Do you tell others your weight? Do you feel safe being able to state your current weight on MFP? Does it make you feel good to finally say it out loud.

Replies

• queendeej
    queendeej Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Well, I was never willing to say it out loud in front of people but I have no problem on MFP saying it was 238 pounds at my weigh in last Thursday :indifferent: but I like to add "and dropping" at the end. :wink:
  • Mrshunts
    Mrshunts Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I do not tell people my weight, what for? I don't even really like to talk about anything involving losing weight with someone who is not.

couple months ago, finally told my husband what my STARTING weight was.......

it was 271......and i'm now 242...had gotten under 242 but gained a few
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know what my weight was before I started MFP. I haven't owned a scale for over a decade. The last time I had weighed myself I was 180. I just basically lied to myself for years that I was still 180, even though my pants size climbed from 18W to 24W. So far, there have been a few people that I have admitted my starting weight to. Other than the occasional Facebook post about my victories, I haven't been real telling with it.
  • kioli
    kioli Posts: 5
    Options
    WOO HOO! Yes, I just thought that.... git outta my head...lol
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    As I was progressing with my weight loss, it became easier to announce to EVERYONE, "Yeah...I used to weigh over 300 pounds". I do have some issue telling people how much I weigh now because my mind hasn't caught up to the loss and I'm always afraid someone will accuse me of lying. By the way, I now weigh 147. Haha!
  • Kasmira0004
    Kasmira0004 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes! It took me a very, very long time to admit (mostly to myself) what I weigh. Now I can say it like it's no big deal, but it still causes me to choke at times. I'm 170lbs and still dropping! :)
  • dontdomornings92
    dontdomornings92 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't really tell anyone my weight or talk about it at all. The only two people I have ever told my weight to are my two best friends.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I tell others my weight because they can still see me. Its not like lying or concealing my weight will make me look slimmer.
  • arunachala
    Options
    I tell others my weight because they can still see me. Its not like lying or concealing my weight will make me look slimmer.

That's what I was gonna say.
  • KristinaMarieOH
    Options
    My husband and kids don't know how much I weigh but I have no problem stating it on MFP. For the most part people on here are supportive so I'm glad you feel comfortable here. :flowerforyou:
  • barney50501Missy
    Options
    It took me a couple months on MFP to admit to my husband that I was over 200 lbs when I started....then I was able to tell him I was actually at 225. I am happy to say to anyone now that I am at 177...and even more proud to say I have lost 48lbs.

Good for you admitting it to people...that's a great weight (no pun intended) to get off your chest. :drinker:
  • As_Sweet_As_Pea
    As_Sweet_As_Pea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I reveal my weight to family members who I can trust not to gossip about me, or make me feel bad. They know my struggle and encourage me with whatever I do to lose weight. As long as its healthy and not harmful. But if it works for you, then do it!! We all have to find what works for us!!
  • kittyconni
    Options
    My husband and mom knew what I weighed when I started this journey back in March. Too embarased to tell anyone else. Now, when people say "wow, how much weight have you lost?l I proudly proclaim "59 pounds so far!. I was 220 now I am 161 and still dropping!"
  • jgthomas78
    Options
    I've always told people my weight, even before trying to lose.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Nope, have not told anyone what I started out at or what I'm at now. Some folks know I lost x amt of pounds (whatever the # is at that time). It's a need to know thing and right now, no one needs to know.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I don't usually tell folks my weight... since it is sort of like my payroll and bank account... it is sort of my business. I am not ashamed of it... and I have in the past mentioned that I was over 325... (actually 344)... Now, more recently, I will mention my weight because I have dropped noticeably. People actually are amazed that I am still near 250 (247.6 this morning)... They say I don't look it... Of course, my age is the same way.
  • Anastasia0511
    Anastasia0511 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I don't care who knows my weight. I'm 5'8 and weigh 147 pounds and just told thousands of people haha, and where I live that's considered a lot to weigh at my height but screw all of that. Numbers on a scale mean nothing to me as long as I look good. I know that might sound vain, but if I look in the mirror and like the way I look and clothes that I like fit me then I'm happy.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I got comfortable with telling people my weight last year.
    When I started buying things for derby and doing group orders or asking people what size they wore... they were SHOCKED I was the size I was. I had to tell them I weighed 95-100kg. I also tell people that when buying skates as it plays a big part in what you buy.
    Now I'm happy with telling anyone. I have lost the connection of negativity that my weight attaches to me. I am not a bad horrible person. My weight does not define me and I'm actually quite proud to dispell the myths of 'fat' people being lazy and greedy.
    However 4+ years ago I wasn't even sure most of the time what I weighed let alone telling people! I remember the first time I saw over 100kg on the scale. I was so upset I went home and ate a tub of icecream with chocolate bars as spoons. Yeah... that worked.
  • GCAsMom
    GCAsMom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not at that point yet. Perhaps when I'm a little further along, I might have the courage to finally share. This whole journey is not only about weight loss/becoming fit, but also a tremendous mental battle. Confessing my weight is one of those many hurdles along the way.
  • arunachala
    Options
    To the OP... I had a quick look at your diary. You might want to consider giving up diet sodas completely as, even though they contain no calories, they still contribute to weight gain and make it lots harder to lose fat.

Consuming high amounts of fructose (a type of sugar), artificial sweeteners, and sugar alcohols (another type of low-calorie sweetener) cause your gut bacteria to adapt in a way that interferes with your satiety signals and metabolism, according to a new paper in Obesity Reviews.

http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/05/12548199-the-strange-reason-diet-soda-makes-you-fat?lite
    http://www.organicauthority.com/foodie-buzz/diet-soda-makes-you-fat.html