BEST No-Weights Strength Building Workout

Options

Replies

• MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Check out MARCROOPS YouTube channel. He has a lot of bodyweight exercises. Hill sprints and Burpees all day will get your heart rate up fast and burn some serious cals. They're also good full body workouts.
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    BUMP!! :)
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jonwv
    jonwv Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    This is one reason why i love P90X most of the workouts use your own body weight there are some that you can use weights with but you don't have to.
  • phoenixoncemore
    phoenixoncemore Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Order this dvd now: The Isometric Total Body Workout DVD - It's all you need to get a total body workout in about 15 minutes a day. Isometrics are terrific and they work as good or better than weights. They're also safer and can be done anywhere. You will find the DVD on Amazon. There are also a few good books on isometrics. I will add that the famous Charles Atlas used dynamic tension to get strong. That's a form of isometrics. You may have never heard of him. You look very young. Good luck.
  • SonicaBE
    SonicaBE Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    INSANITY
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    You can do a lot to burn calories, increase functional strength, and overall fitness doing bodyweight exercises alone. Adding muscle MASS however is a completely different animal that requires hypertropher training, something that can only be done with weights. If you're looking to "get big" then you need weights. Otherwise bodyweight trainign will do just great.
  • lisao62
    lisao62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bump
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    At first you may see small gains, but that won't last long. Building muscle is a result of excess calories along with resistance training. While there is nothing wrong with what you are looking at, you will have to figure out a way to increase resistance over time.
  • hsh0927
    hsh0927 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred. It's a DVD that will help you tone and lose fat at the same time. I loved it but you have to do it everyday for 30 days and I just couldn't fit it in to my schedule. I could see results after 10 days the last time I did it, though.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump
  • Crystal0827
    Crystal0827 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KAA1982
    KAA1982 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    bump
  • salzej01
    salzej01 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Typical body weight exercises can be sufficient for some body parts/muscle groups, but it's going to be hard to get a full body workout with no equipment. 5lb dumbbells aren't going to be much benefit, at least not for long.

You need to really stress your muscles. and I mean REALLY stress them. Probably like you've never done before. It's not like carrying groceries, it's like carrying 1 end of the couch.

If you're serious about it, I'd look into suspension trainers.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I use 3 and 5 lb hand weights with my work out 3x/week and have built very nice muscle. One of the work out videos that I do is Barre 3 that uses weights and combines ballet, yoga and pilates moves. Very effective. The other work up I do on the other 2 days is a compilation of older work outs using hand weights along with squats, push ups (modified) and crunches. Those are copied to a DVD so they are all one work out but you can experiment with different work outs that use weights. Those smaller weights do work. The Barre 3 work out is by Sadie Lincoln ?sp. She is Madonna's personal trainer. You can google it and buy it on line. I can't tell you what the other ones are as they were put together by my sister and they were recorded off TV or VHS tapes onto a CD. I also ride my bike for about 1 hr almost every day so that helps with leg muscle work.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I too like the You Are Your Own Gym program. It uses body weight and common household items (chairs, doors, brooms, etc) as props. I have the book and the iPhone app.
  • niknokd
    niknokd Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest Jillian Michaels yoga meltdown - it's all body weight training for toning. You'll probably want to continue doing cardio in addition to that, and mix in a few other dvds because you don't want your body to get too used to the moves!