How DO you get a 6 pack??!

Options
I do abs EVERY day and I eat well and run about 8-10 miles a week. I have a flat stomach but I really want to have defined abs. Am I doing the wrong ab workouts? Do I need to add weights to my ab workouts? Anybody have any suggestions or know the secret to a ripped stomach??

Replies

• WhatDoesLisa
    Options
    I always here a six-pack is 80% due to diet and 20% exercise. Am I right ab-kings?
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    more muscle, or less body fat, and you still won't see them without a very low body fat.

Building muscle (whole body muscle though, not just on your stomach) helps to see them at a higher body fat %.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I always here a six-pack is 80% due to diet and 20% exercise. Am I right ab-kings?

No. It's probably more like 95% diet ;) I got a 4 pack by squatting, deadlifting, and losing body fat.
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    If you have a flat stomach with a low bodyfat percentage and your abs are still not showing, you should treat abs like any other body part and lift heavy in the 6-12 rep range. It seems like its just a problem of them not being large enough to really seperate themselves from your stomach. Whats your approximate BF%?
  • mariodispenza
    mariodispenza Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    80% diet/20% exercise is correct. But, keep in mind that cardio and a good diet will make you look better in your clothes while weight training and a good diet will make you look great witihout them.
  • dr3wman
    Options
    Oh and the percentages of diet and exercise to get a six-pack are completley irrelevant, you can eat like a pig and still get abs if you do enough cardio
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    You will have to be pretty lean to see your abs. For guys its around 10% or less, females its ~15 or 16%.

That means you must dedicate yourself to a fat loss diet. Exercise will tone and build them but you have to cut that layer of fat off the top if you wanna see them. So yes diet is most important.
  • Shange_Gully
    Options
    Get you're body fat low, single digit preferably.

& train them with resistance, doesn't have to be overly heavy. But enough to stimulate growth. Both the upper and lower abs.

I'd say losing weight is 80/20 diet/exercise, but if you want abs where all the cubes stick out etc both are important.
  • chriscbond
    chriscbond Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you have a flat stomach with a low bodyfat percentage and your abs are still not showing, you should treat abs like any other body part and lift heavy in the 6-12 rep range. It seems like its just a problem of them not being large enough to really seperate themselves from your stomach. Whats your approximate BF%?

My body fat is like 19%. You think I just need to add weight to my workout and do less reps?
  • dr3wman
    Options

My body fat is like 19%. You think I just need to add weight to my workout and do less reps?

I think you should first focus on getting down to around 16% BF and see where you stand. Even if your abs did get larger, its likley you wont see them till the lower BF%
  • No idea I eat bacon and drink beer i don't have a 6 pack: I have an 8 pack.
  • Determinednoob
    Options

If you want a full 6 pack you need to lose at least 10% So if you weight 180, you need to lose 18 lbs.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options

If your bodyfat number is accurate, sorry to break it to you, but you've got a long way to go, and that' s assuming you have enough muscle mass.
  • dr3wman
    Options
    Shes a female...10% will probably kill her
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I would just lift heavy with compound lifts.
  • chriscbond
    chriscbond Posts: 20 Member
    Options

If you want a full 6 pack you need to lose at least 10% So if you weight 180, you need to lose 18 lbs.

I weigh 130 and I am 5'4, if I lost 13 pounds I would look gross! Ill try adding weights to my ab workout and see if that gives results. Thanks everyone!:smile:
  • iiiEllie
    iiiEllie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend does nothing, and eats crap. Someone he has a 6 pack. The one before this boyfriend was the same. It's magic apparently.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Lose bodyfat, not weight.
  • Determinednoob
    Options

I weigh 130 and I am 5'4, if I lost 13 pounds I would look gross! Ill try adding weights to my ab workout and see if that gives results. Thanks everyone!:smile:

Indeed I failed to notice you are female, so its probably more like 3-4%
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    weighted ab exercises help