What keeps you running?

Options

Replies

• Bean615
    Bean615 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i day dream about my wedding and winning lotto. im not engaged nor do i play lotto! lol
  • Mommsue3
    Options
    I play music - get some Zumba music going or some AC/DC and I'll go for miles.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Racing helps a lot. Also I'm good at pushing myself further than I originally intended at the beginning of a run, I don't need a lot of extra motivation. I highly recommend doing a few races for the thrill of friendly competition!
  • GrumpyAG
    GrumpyAG Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I couldn't run for 10 minutes untill I thought my lungs were gonna burst and my heart was gonna explode (bit of an exageration there)....so i signed up for a 10k event and everytime I went out for my run and it got hard I imagined myself completing the 10K and how proud I would feel. It totally worked and now I'm annoyingly addicted to running. So what i'm trying to say is having a goal and strength of mind was the key for me :)
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    I look at my my Garmin to see how far i have left. I'll sing along with the song on my iPod. I think about the peeps i have on here, how far they ran recently, and find motivation to keep going in their accomplishments. I'll concentrate on my breathing. And i'll use the time to think about stuff going on in my life. It all keeps me running.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Hitting each mental marker on my route, i.e. if you get over this stage the next is down hill, and ultimately the end. Also I road run and only take my key, water and ipod with me so I have to get home somehow.
  • CallOnRo
    CallOnRo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My playlist and an app called Runkeeper Pro that I personally set up to coach me along the way. I love it!!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    The zombies chasing me.

I do a quick inventory. Is my breathing OK? Is my heart rate OK? Do my legs still have energy? Does anything hurt? Can I improve any of the above by slowing down rather than stopping? Usually there's no reason to stop :flowerforyou:
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I count how many songs I have till I am finished. If I am just doing a 30 minute run I count 4-5 songs worth.
  • ClareRae
    ClareRae Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I daydream... LoL
    I find that if I'm lost in a story in my head, I can't think about what hurts. Then I suddenly find myself back at my front door...
  • ChiFortunate1
    ChiFortunate1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The first few miles ALWAYS suck for me. Even though I walk to warm up for five minutes at a brisk pace, my body is always like WTH are you doing?!?!?! Just knowing the feeling will pass after a mile makes me want to get through it as quickly as possible.

I have a running playlist. I'm a Visualizer, have a BUNCH of Beyonce's fast paced stuff in there (Who Runs the World? GIRLS!) HAHA!!! I picture her figure and I'm like dammit I'm gettin there!!! I have an hourglass shape so I also repeat to myself, 36-25-36... 36-25-36...
    So, if you like to run with music set up some power songs, blast and go!

21371726.png
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    The first few miles ALWAYS suck for me. Even though I walk to warm up for five minutes at a brisk pace, my body is always like WTH are you doing?!?!?! Just knowing the feeling will pass after a mile makes me want to get through it as quickly as possible.

100% this, I totally agree... Knowing that it's going to suck less in a few minutes is motivation to keep going :)
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Also, last night we were having pizza...And I knew I wanted 2 pieces...Which was about 400 cals...I had 150 left pre-exercise...So I had my work cut out for me. I just kept thinking: PIZZA! PEPPERONI PIZZA!
  • lila1980
    lila1980 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm also the kind of person that needs a challenge to keep running. Beating my last time, or my furthest distance keeps me motivated. I also can't run with music. For whatever reason, I run further, faster, and harder without.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Music is a BIG help. As is going with family and friends.

And now that I've learned to slow my pace, I CAN go farther. The rush after a run or jog or walk is something that keeps me going too. As is the confidence each step I take farther than before.
  • mcarras1
    Options
    I just think about how good i feel when im done. Running is the only thing that helps me keep the fat off and stay toned. I know how amazing it feels to have run and feel toned and strong. that's what keeps me going.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I love to play video games. I love the idea of leveling up and gaining new skills. I approach running that way. That every run, no matter how good or bad, is leveling my body up and getting me closer to my goal.

Last night I ran the same route I do every week and did it better than before. And I know the two bad runs previously helped me get there. So even when I want to stay in my pajamas and not run, knowing I can actually see my improvement in my time and how I finish my runs gets me out there.

It's a geeky way to look at it but it helps.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Pure emotional pain and turmoil drives me when I'm running.
    I literally keep yelling at myself in my head "what hurts more Ang? what hurts more? Your children are dying from a rare genetic disease. You have no control over that and have to sit back & watch it happen. Do your legs hurt more than that Ang? Does the burning in your lungs feel as painful as that? No.......so ****ing push"

: )
  • HoneyBadgerVin
    Options
    I've always been goal-oriented. My 1st 10k. My 1st Warrior Dash. And now I'm doing it for Run For Your Lives. Every time I've completed an event, I decide that I never really liked running much. But I got to a point recently where I'm actually looking forward to it. Running is slowing becoming one of my me time activities.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    music and being a pig headed *kitten*. Honestly, I teach prechroeographed group fit classes so when I first started running I would turn that on in mentally go through a class to get my mind off of things. As I kept running I found that I spent less and less time thinking about the music and more time in the zone. Now I just listen to music, but if I'm having an off day I still go back to my gf music as a distraction. When I trail run I spend too much time thinking about the trail that music can be a distraction.