Peanut Butter Dilemma

Options
2»

Replies

• marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I buy whichever one is the best buy that contains only one ingredient, peanuts. When I bring it home I leave it on the counter and keep turning the jar for a few days before I open it. It makes it a lot easier to stir before refrigerating. Also a meat fork does a good job of stirring. (I have a friend who refuses to buy this kind of peanut butter because the oil grosses her out. Just thought I'd throw my solution out there.)
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I like PB2 but the cost is outrageous here in the UK.

Otherwise I get the organic, no sugar added (just peanuts) version.
  • audreygonzy
    Options
    When I make things like smoothies, coffees, or shakes I use the powdered peanut butter. Sometimes a girl just needs the real thing though and that's when I break out the good stuff. I haven't quite found a 'favorite' brand yet but as long as the only ingredient is PEANUTS I think you'll be good!:)
  • poshcouture
    Options
    I use PB2 in my protein shakes...but when it comes to grabbing a spoonful this just won't cut it for me - I'm a PB addict! I've tried almond butters and so far my favorite is Justin's Nut Butter.
  • farkleberrypinerd
    Options
    If you have a Giant supermarket near you, look for the Giant All-Natural peanut butter. Ingredients are peanuts, salt. For some reason it's about a buck cheaper than the other natural peanut butter brands, and it's delicious IMO. I eat it every day on toast for breakfast. :D
  • Katze_e
    Katze_e Posts: 4
    Options
    computer hiccup reposted it, sorry.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    For every Peanut Butter Dilemma, there is a....

peanutbuttersolution_138.jpg
  • heliumheels
    heliumheels Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    For the real deal, I buy unsalted organic peanut butter, whichever brand is the cheapest where I am shopping at the time. Either crunchy or creamy (I swing both ways). You want to make sure that the only ingredients are peanuts and salt (if you like the salted variety). I also recently decided to venture the powdered peanut butter path. I bought Betty Lou's Just Great Stuff organic powdered peanut butter at my local whole foods. Though it was $8.99 a jar, I would say it has been well worth it. So far I have used it in smoothies, homemade almond milk ice cream, and granola. It definitely isn't the same as regular peanut butter, but a good substitute for the flavor and it saves you 145 calories for 2 tablespoons.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I just get organic peanut butter, ingredients are "peanuts" .... nothing else ....... almond butter is good also ......

And remember that a little goes a long way :drinker:

MMmmmmmm....this is the best! Once you try it you will never go back. I had to add a little salt and sugar when I first started buying it and gradually reduced until there wasn't any. I love it on apples and in smoothies. Store bought peanut butter is full of crap that you don't need anyway and I am absolutely against anything that is supposed to be "like" any food. Your best bet is to get as close to the actual REAL food as possible, your body will love you for it!
  • JenniferARoss
    JenniferARoss Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Why don't you make your own? Throw a bunch of shelled peanuts in a food processor and process it until it gets creamy. Voila! If you like it crunchy, after processing it add more peanuts and process it just a little more. You can always add honey, chocolate, anything! :)

I don't have a food processor but that sounds like a great idea, thanks! :smile:
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I've made my own in a food processor and I love it!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    get whats on sale
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I like Laura Scudder's all natural peanut butter. Be sure you look at the ingredients. The best peanut butters will only have peanuts and maybe salt. If it contains sugar, it goes back on the shelf in my book :)
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter and Co - White Chocolate Wonderful and Dark Chocolate Dreams = YUMMMY and natural
  • JenniferARoss
    JenniferARoss Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    For every Peanut Butter Dilemma, there is a....

peanutbuttersolution_138.jpg

Lol! :smile:
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    For a diet you should definitely try PB2.

For "real" peanut butter get NY Peanut Butter and Co.

Or be even healthier and get Almond Butter, Hazelnut Butter, or Sunflower butter instead.

I would avoid brands like Jiff, Skippy, Peter Pan, etc. Avoid added salt. Get raw not roasted.
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm a convenience kinda girl. I like the thought of making my own "peanut butter" but ultimately just can't be bothered, haha! *Guilty face*

My suggestion is buy what you like the BEST! And eat it!! In moderation ;) Don't force yourself into eating something you don't enjoy just because "it's good for you" or "better for you". You will prevail in the long run with eating what you love and loving what you eat!

Cheers :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    get whats on sale

This ^^^^

:tongue:

I usually stock up on Peter Pan or Skippy when they go on sale, that way I don't have to buy an unknown generic.
  • sisterphonetica
    sisterphonetica Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is my downfall. I get the natural kind, just peanuts and try to eat it in moderation when I could eat the whole jar. "Light" versions of nearly everything are a con.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why almond or sunflower butter, etc, would be "healthier"... Unless you're allergic to peanuts of course, which the OP clearly is not. And if cost is a concern, those will certainly not be the answer. Anyway, I live in the NE and we have a brand called Teddy's, which has an unsalted variety that I think tastes perfectly normal (not something I ever would have believed, since any time I had tried unsalted pb before I was always disgusted). I get that, because it's only got peanut ingredients and I give it to my dogs, so I like that it's unsalted and uncomplicated.