Restaurants are Irresponsible.

Besides the fact that normal fast food places are horribly bad for you, I have even fell in to the trap of Subway being misleading. They have Jared for years telling us about 6 subs with under 6 grams of fat. But when you go to the place (as I do 5 days a week), its much different.

I used to get about what they advertize. I'd get a 6 inch turkey sub. Good so far. Then they immediately ask you what kind of cheese you want and if you say "none" as you would have to to stay under 6 grams of fat, they make you confirm it as if you are abnormal. Move down for veggies and then get your sauce. Virtually all fo them are bad for you. I used to get light mayonase. Its LIGHT so it must not be too bad. The problem is that legally "light" only has to be 30% better for you than the original, no matter how fatty that is. Then the serving size is 1 table spoon, but they would put about 2 times that on the sub. Now at 400+ calories and 17 grams of fat, they want me to get a drink and chips or a cookie. Unless i get a diet coke and no chips or cookies, those numbers go up again. Then double that on the days I got hungry and got a 12" sub.

Bottom line - I was gaining weight eating subway on a regular basis.

These days I still eat there but get a grilled chicken salad with no cheese or dressing and fat free Lays and I net about 250 calories.

Replies

• trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Restaurants are not irresponsible - people make irresponsible food choices.

You could try making and packing your lunch - easier on the belly and wallet. :)
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Look how smart you are - you actually did the research.

Now tell me how it's the restaurants fault for not stopping you from eating cheese or mayo if you look like you could stand to lose a few pounds?
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    When I go to subway, I get the kid's Fresh Fit meal. I have them put it on flatbread, add all the veggies, vinegar and oil. It comes with apples and milk. This is a pretty good option at subway, low in calories, high in fiber.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    I don't always go to subway, but when i do I get oven roasted chicken on wheat and a PILE of bell peppers and onions, double tomatoes, black pepper and that is it.

No sauce, no nothing.

Yum...
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    I used to work at subway, so often you get way more than the serving size on sauces, it also wasnt uncommon to fill light mayo bottles with regular mayo when we ran out. So much food was expired, and since the owners were horrible at ordering food, half the time our turkey/ham/tuna/ etc were from the grocery store, the cheapest we could get, so there goes your fat and sodium for the day. Don't get me started on the sanitation issues, I quit when they asked me to lie to the health inspector. Not all subways are like this, but I have severe resturaunt trust issues now. People never knew we were serving them garbage that at the best wasn't as healthy as they thought, at worst could make them sick.
    By the way, the chicken is really reconstituted chicken product/parts :P
  • mkstirp
    mkstirp Posts: 19 Member
    And subway is a restaurant trying to sell itself as heathy. Think of the ones that don't even bother!
  • Restaurants are not irresponsible - people make irresponsible food choices.

You could try making and packing your lunch - easier on the belly and wallet. :)

I think its irresponsible to base the majority of their adverizing on how healthy it is and how it is better for you when a realistic experience is rarely close to what they advertize. I dont have as much problem with what they sell and how they sell it as the implication that the majority of what you get there is good for you.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Its all about Our Responsiblity. No one forces you to have mayo, cookies & chips, no matter how many times they offer.
    Try no dressing or stick with mustard. No cheese, period. What part of any cookie seems like a good weight loss idea? H2O is by far the best drink option. Stick with a 6 in, avoid the meatballs, bacon and extra and triple meats. Chips, really?Load on the veggies(no, not the guacamole) & have it on whole grain.
    Personal responsiblity is key here, not blaming someone else for our bad choices. Advertising is not to balme.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Restaurants are not irresponsible - people make irresponsible food choices.

I think its irresponsible to base the majority of their adverizing on how healthy it is and how it is better for you when a realistic experience is rarely close to what they advertize. I dont have as much problem with what they sell and how they sell it as the implication that the majority of what you get there is good for you.

What should we do about it?
  • No one is really making you to go these resturants so I dont think you can call them irresponsible; plus since you go there all the time, on the subway napkins it clearly states without cheese and mayo. You are the only one that can choose what you eat, if you don't like it don't go there...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Subway doesn't force you to get cheese or mayo. I get mustard instead of mayo - far less calories. They have apple slices you can have instead of chips. They have water or ice tea instead of coke. I used to eat at Subway quite a bit - it is not the reason I gained weight.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Yeah but..... there's a lot of false implications in advertising. It's a business. Victoria's Secret isn't going to make 99% of the population hot and Slim Fast isn't making anyone's butt any smaller so.... it's up to the buyer to do the research. Trusting the media is like trusting someone elses dog.
  • I think there needs to be a balance of us taking responsibility and the restaurants serving what they actually promise.
    I like Subway occasionally, but I'm in UK and to eat every day is expensive, and we also have a different menu to US. But we do need to make ourselves accountable. And think how much money you could save making your own huge salad roll
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Then they immediately ask you what kind of cheese you want and if you say "none" as you would have to to stay under 6 grams of fat, they make you confirm it as if you are abnormal.
    Almost everyone gets cheese, so that is abnormal.
    Move down for veggies and then get your sauce. Virtually all fo them are bad for you.
    Sauces aren't "bad for you" if you eat them in moderation. You're the one who chose to go to Subway every day.
    I used to get light mayonase. Its LIGHT so it must not be too bad. The problem is that legally "light" only has to be 30% better for you than the original, no matter how fatty that is.
    How is that Subway's fault?
    Then the serving size is 1 table spoon, but they would put about 2 times that on the sub.
    You are standing right there, tell them how much you want.
    Now at 400+ calories and 17 grams of fat, they want me to get a drink and chips or a cookie.
    Of course they want you to buy more things. They are in business to make money. All you have to say is "no".
    Then double that on the days I got hungry and got a 12" sub.
    That's the choice you made. They didn't force it on you.

Don't blame restaurants for your own choices. You can go to their website and see the exact nutritional information. You can figure out what's healthy and what isn't. They are a business, and their focus is rightfully on turning a profit. Why on Earth would you trust them to make healthy choices for you?
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Um, the way they make money is to advertise. The way you choose where you spend your money is up to you.

They make it clear that without cheese and sauce you can eat less fat. Seems pretty responsible to me.

You can spend your money on the convenience of having them make your sandwich for them or you can spend your money at the grocery store and make your own sandwich.

Decide and don't complain.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Responsibility lies with the one making decisions on what to eat in the restaurant.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Corrected: PEOPLE are irresponsible.

tumblr_m6aepomYJR1r1thdeo1_250.gif
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    pancake.jpg
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    restaurants ARE responsible when you REQUEST something to NOT have an ingredient and then they put it on there anyway because they are too lazy or think you will not notice. Then they get all mad when you want to send it back.

Cool, I will just wipe off that 1/4 cup of mayo you dumped on my sammich with a big wad of napkins and leave it on the table for you to clean up.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    orly_spock.gif

Did they make you eat mayonnaise?