What do you WANT to hear?

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    i want to hear what i have ALWAYS wanted to hear. "you look amazing, how about we take my private jet to the island paradise of your choice and i'll keep you in a style to which you wish to become accustomed".

But you never take me up on it!

you keep saying that, whip it out, Brett. come on. you know i want to see it...

the black amex, of course.

I now feel woefully inadequate.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    I don't tend to get offended when someone makes a compliment which is simply stating what they are thinking without filtering it. I do that myself, so I can relate. And I have a lot of friends on the autism spectrum, so I'm quite used to people speaking their minds with no ulterior motive. I'm quite happy for people to point out whatever occurs to them! Besides, I'm not particularly vain about how I look - I tend to observe my appearance in quite an objective way.

I just don't like 'compliments' that are deliberately back-handed - with a deliberate attempt to insult in a subtle passive-aggressive way while appearing innocent. To me, it's all about intention. Although, to be honest, I tend to take things at face value anyway, so a lot of the time I don't even realise when someone's trying to insult me - which can be frustrating for them, if they wanted to upset me and I'm not upset!

What i love to hear is that I'm looking healthy, that I'm looking well, that I'm looking happy. Because I want to be healthy, well and happy, and I want it to show. I don't care so much about my weight - people can tell me that I've lost weight or that I've gained weight, and that doesn't mean much to me - I already know if I've lost or gained weight, because I weigh myself.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    I want to walk into a room and have someone say, "whoa" because they can't say anything else.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    "You look thinner." Or "You look smaller." in regards to my weight. What I really want to hear: "You don't have to be on the DASH diet anymore."
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Nothing! I'd rather see it in their eyes and smile.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    "Wow, you look great!" or "looking good" would be fine with me. I really don't mind most of the comments I get, even if they're silly. It feels good to know that people have noticed a difference.
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    It makes me happy when people tell me that all my hard work and dedication is paying off.
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    I am absolutely horrible at taking compliments. I will almost always turn them around and put the focus back on the other person by complimenting them.

That being said, the compliments that I take the best or want to hear the most are when someone gives me credit for my effort and hard work or says that I'm doing a good job.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    There is this band called Fate Strikes Twice in Manhattan & Jersey. Their front man, Harry Dullys is this ripped beast of strength and power - im not tooting his horn and he cant even see this - but yesterday I PRd deadlifting and my picture on instagram auto-transferred to FB before I could stop it.

he begged for the opportunity to kick my *kitten*.

I consider this the highest compliment in a very long time because it reflected on the fact that people judge me by my appearance... in the most positive way possible. Im strong AND its noticeable.

598875_10152057872490107_1040422946_n.jpg

photo I shot of harry @ Gramercy Theatre

Also my boss just told me that my boobs look ****ing awesome today.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    give it to me now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    I want people to say, "Damn, you're a sexy beast! I can't keep my hands off you!"

Oh wait... they already do that... :tongue:
  • Flyer615
    Flyer615 Posts: 173 Member
    The type of statement someone gives about my weight loss tells me a lot more about THEM than what they said to me. I'm not offended by anything they say. Besides, I tell me I'm beautiful all the time.

When I had lost about 25-30 pounds, three people (in the same day) asked me if I'd gotten a haircut. That did sorta suck. :tongue:
  • Honestly Ive always wanted to be the skinny ***** that people want to feed a cheeseburger to
    Can't say I've never felt the same way either. Though not so skinny everything pokes through.
  • Sassy922
    Sassy922 Posts: 399 Member
    What do I WANT to hear? Its simple. The truth.
  • I don't want to hear anything at all.
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Weight loss compliments are AWESOME to me, but I am very sensitive about weight GAIN comments, even when meant as a compliment (this does happen to me, even when I've gained an unhealthy amount).

Just because I'm overly sensitive to comments about my weight, I will never compliment someone's body size, unless they specifically ask for it.
  • zestyzaftig
    zestyzaftig Posts: 103 Member
    "You look so healthy!" is the #1 thing I hope to hear.

"What's your secret?" is the second thing I'm shooting for, so I can extol the virtues of nutrition and exercise, without gimmicks or specialty diet foods.
  • Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    I want to hear, "Damn girl! Looks like you've been working your *kitten* off!" Cause I HAVE! :happy: Its always nice when somebody notices your hard work.
  • juliedozier
    juliedozier Posts: 184 Member
    I am an attention *kitten* and I love ALL the compliments I get! Sure beats feeling fat frumpy and invisible!
  • Anything! Being noticed and people taking the time to say something lets me know I'm on the right track. It feels awesome! IMO, most people mean to impart good vibes when complimenting, even if it doesn't come across that way
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!