Aspartame Vs Sugar

Options

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Saw on Dr Oz the other day - they said it was fine. Lots of myths about aspartame but it's not harmful for you.
    Think about it - the FDA would pull it if it really caused cancer in HUMANS.
    http://www.drozfans.com/dr-oz-diet/dr-oz-sugar-substitutes-aspartame-vs-saccharin-vs-sucralose/

crap. if 'dr' oz says it is ok, I may have to rethink my stance on saying it is ok ...
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Japanese health is impeccable as well. Their obesity rates are nonexistant.

Japan has the highest rates of stomach cancer. They should be coating their guys with healthy protective Aspartame.
    It's probably more related to genetics than anything else.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

exactly...they also smoke more than any one on this planet yet have the lowest rate of lung cancer...go figure.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I don't put alot of sugar, maybe one to two packets

Yikes, not sure I'd classify 2-3 packets as "not alot".
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

for a really long time I have been using equal in my coffee.. over the weekend I read that aspartame either contains or turns into formaldahyde in the body. I don't know what to do at this point I am thinking of not putting either in my coffee anymore. Which one is better? ::sigh:: I don't put alot of sugar, maybe one to two packets but I usually use three equals in my coffee.

don't believe the anti-artificial sweetener blogs until their claims are backed up by real, peer-reviewed studies. you can check for real studies using pubmed : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    I don't put alot of sugar, maybe one to two packets

Yikes, not sure I'd classify 2-3 packets as "not alot".

really? I use more than that. mostly because it tastes good and I don't have diabetes.
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    3 options:

Gamble your life with Equal, Aspartame, Splenda, etc.

Use Stevia/Truvia and be safe.

Use real sugar and work it into your calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    3 options:

You can do all 3 option and be fine.

Lol, gamble with your life........................................

IDEA Fitness member
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    3 options:

You can do all 3 option and be fine.

Lol, gamble with your life........................................

IDEA Fitness member

chicken_little-sky-is-falling.jpg
  • kirstineu
    kirstineu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have tried to cut anything that was made in a lab from my diet. All this about there have not been any ill effects over the last 30 years - have they not noticed the obesity epidemic!! While I am sure it is not Aspartame alone that has done this but a combination of processed foods etc.

Don't overdo the sugar either it is all down to calories vs calories out.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you for all of the feedback! It really means alot to me. I had no idea that aspartame was not the only thing that caused that reaction in the body!! I think I am going to switch to plain coffee no sugar or substitutes!

^That's probably your best option...
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    I have tried to cut anything that was made in a lab from my diet. All this about there have not been any ill effects over the last 30 years - have they not noticed the obesity epidemic!! While I am sure it is not Aspartame alone that has done this but a combination of processed foods etc.

it isn't really that, either.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    for a diabetic unless you litterally spend your whole life eating tons of it a day your fine my mother has been using it since it came out (juvinile diabetic)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options

You're correlating obesity with artificial sweeteners as being part of the cause? Please enlighten me on how consuming something with zero calories causes someone to be obese?

IDEA Fitness member
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is actually a plastic (which is why it does not give you calories). And despite wild speculation, it is fine for your body to metabolize.

1 packet of Equal equates to 4 packets of sugar in sweetness.

The amount of aspartame you'd have to ingest to actually be able to accumulate enough formaldehyde is IMMENSE. So, unless you plan to have meals involving possibly gallons of pure aspartame, do not worry. Your body excretes anything bad from aspartame faster than you can collect it.

This... it only becomes a problem as a sweetner if you have a specific medical condition which I can never spell (you'll see it when you read any horror stories about artificial sweeteners) which you'd know about by now. Keep using it, it hasn't killed anyone without that condition and is used in moderation anyways.

To put your mind at rest, numerous studies have been done on it over the years on animals and himans alike and they have been approved time and time again by the FDA/FSA and major companies wouldn't use them if they thought they were so contraversial as noone would buy their products (coca-cola etc).

Keep using them in moderation on your way to a healthier life, but if at all possible, try and wean yourself off adding any sweetners, sugar or artifical alike to your drinks! :)
    :)
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

You're correlating obesity with artificial sweeteners as being part of the cause? Please enlighten me on how consuming something with zero calories causes someone to be obese?

IDEA Fitness member

Hahahaha agreed... fat people's excuse that sweeteners are the cause when really it's cos theyre still eating calorific crap and not moving enough!
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    There are seemingly a lot of Aspartame PR people on the boards.

Here's another approach:

Nutrasweet, who makes Equal, which uses Aspartame, recently bribed the FDA to not declare their newest sweetener, Neotame AT ALL. Neotame is even more dangerous than Aspartame, and there's no way to tell if it's even in the food you're eating.

Nutrasweet is a former subsidiary of Monsanto (can't wait to hear people try to defend them). Monsanto makes basically ALL of the pesticides that are killing you, and just spent 4 million dollars bribing the California government to withhold information from the public about which foods are genetically modified.

Who do you want to support with your money, even in the hypothetical situation where all artificial sweeteners were healthy?
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    All I know is Aspartame (and any other artificual sweetners) gives me bad headaches and/or migraines.

-Kimberly
    3foldchord

Me, too. Now I try to avoid aspartame as much as I can.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    any kind of sweet, fake or real, makes me crave more sweets, so that's why i try to avoid it all together. a little whole milk or cream in your coffee is better IMO than sugar. i used to drink a venti starbucks iced coffee everyday with 3 equal and was always starving by 9:30 a.m. now i drink black coffee with a splash of cream and that gets me through until about 1 p.m. no problem.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    After reading ALL of the posts in this thread, I think that it has made an impression on me. I have been a user of Splenda for quite some time and thought it was safe. I'm also a type 2 Diabetic and look for alternatives to sugar. I think I've made my mind up and I will now go with something more natural in my coffee, when I do have coffee that is. I will choose to have Stevia or Truvia. It is a natural sweetener and should be fairly safe. I don't know what to do about my yogurt though. I've been eating a lot of yogurt with artificial sweetener in it. I eat about two, 6 oz yogurts a day. I think after I eat the yogurt I have in my frig, I will buy yogurt that isn't sweetened with an artificial sweetener either. I don't drink sodas anymore, so, that's not a problem. These changes should solve my dilemma. This is a big change for me and will be a life style change. Thanks you all.
    Amy