Walmart Selling GE corn---unmarked

Options

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I does bother me to hear this. If I can, I try to buy organic produce. However, it's very hard to control what's in the food you get in a restaurant. I guess it all comes down to making as healthy of choices as possible and being as informed as you can.:flowerforyou:
    I do not think that organically grown means that it would not be genetically modified.
    It doesn't.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I does bother me to hear this. If I can, I try to buy organic produce. However, it's very hard to control what's in the food you get in a restaurant. I guess it all comes down to making as healthy of choices as possible and being as informed as you can.:flowerforyou:

I think it is best said, "Making as Healthy Choices as we can AFFORD!" That IS what it all comes down to! We can be informed all we can, but if the Numbers don't crunch, well...
  • ladydragon1951
    ladydragon1951 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Canola seeds???? There is no such thing. Canola oil is made from Rape seeds. When this was given to sheep it caused scraple! Canola oil is not good for you at all. It means Canadian oil company. Check it out on line.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    You do understand that most of the foods we eat, even the fruit & veggies are genetically modified, right? Try shopping at a farmers market...even though the seeds most farmers are forced to use are genetically altered...but they're a lot closer to natural than a lot of things we buy. Shopping at a huge chain like Wal-Mart if you're worried about GE food is just kinda funny really...

TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    GMO is SOOO vague. It can mean anything from Gregor Mendel's bean experiments to the spider DNA used to keep spiders away from most commercial tomatoes. Good luck finding any produce or animals that haven't been selectively breeded.
  • jmalone71
    jmalone71 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    "yeah, making it so that food can be grown in areas that previously couldn't support food is dumb. so is making crops need less pesticide, keeping it off the food and out of the run-off from watering, which then gets into water, to other animals, etc."

OMG you have got to be kidding me ? It is taking more and more round up to kill the weeds because of these crops, which have produced super weeds which the round up is not touching !! Monsanto overlooked this little problem, said that would not happen !! So soon that little plan is not going to be working !! Then what ? Crops are not being rotated like they traditionally where, the food that they are producing is losing more food value every year with the depleted soil !! And the soil is saturated with poison , where do you think that is all going ?? Just poof ..... no where ?? It is going into your water sources , the food that you eat , etc etc

* bangs head on desk *

You think the tons of round up they are using is not producing run off ? What rock have you been living under ??
  • phynyxfyre
    phynyxfyre Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    To clarify my position:

I realize most products sold are now in some way "altered"; whether by genetic engineering, pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, or general transport of the products, thus exposing them to pollution.

Thank you to the posters who cited the research and the article. I appreciate the help.

I realize General Mills does produce corn cereals; I was stating that they refused to use corn that was modified in this way, and thought that was quite interesting.

The reason I was concerned and thought this would be a great topic is because the population that shops at Walmart as a general rule tends to be the less financially able. They are becoming unwitting lab rats. I do not think most of them realize this is there.

I also wanted to find out what the opinion was on the FDA's role in this. Personally, I think there should be some responsibility on their part to inform the public so they can make educated choices. We are all responsible for our own personal health and well being, but there should be information readily available, whether the consumer chooses to read it or not.

Note: I do not necessarily think that this will cause anyone to explode, just that it sounds as though it could have some very serious health effects.

Also, as much as I can, I grow my own fruit and veggies organically, and save seeds for the following year. I also frequent farmers markets and go directly down to the local farms especially for you-pick berries. However, I do need to do grocery shopping for some things and think that if more people thought about what they put into their bodies, it would turn the grocery marketplace upside down.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i have a garden and try to utilize farmers markets as much as possible for this reason.

on the other hand. you're not a rat. the 'studies' show how it affects rats, not humans.
  • phynyxfyre
    Options
    True, but I wouldn't want to volunteer myself for the first round of human testing, either. Lol.
  • jmalone71
    Options
    IN Canada if it is marked 100 % organic, no GMO allowed .
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Monsanto is evil. I have very strong feelings here but once I start on this subject I get really worked up. So... I'll just say, you can buy non GMO seed. I buy mine from Victory seed company. Heirloom seeds.
  • jmalone71
    Options
    i have a garden and try to utilize farmers markets as much as possible for this reason.

on the other hand. you're not a rat. the 'studies' show how it affects rats, not humans.

Not true , read the study !!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Canola seeds???? There is no such thing. Canola oil is made from Rape seeds. When this was given to sheep it caused scraple! Canola oil is not good for you at all. It means Canadian oil company. Check it out on line.

well, some call them canola seeds. but, technically, you're right. rapeseed comes from canola plants.

what you aren't right about is that it's bad for you. no studies that show any link between disease and canola oil. it also contains monounsaturated fats -- which, when used in place of saturated fat, brings down LDL levels, reducing risk of heart disease. it also contains omega-3. which, again, is good for your heart.

canola oil works really well for sauteing and baking because of it's smoke point. this means less carcinogens and free radicals being released. again. good.

and they named it canola oil because, well, who would buy rapeseed oil? and it is technically a GM product, but it wasn't done in a lab ... they worked to selectively crossbreed rapeseed plants to lower the euric acid in the oil. (the same process, by the way, was used to create things like the seedless watermelon.)
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Some one mentioned the price factor of these foods. For most people, organic is just not financially possible. I make my boyfriend a salad everyday for his lunch at work. I would be broke if I bought only organic!!

As far as causing problems in rats, well, my biologic injectable medicine I have to take for Rheumatoid Arthritis is MADE from rat DNA so I don't think I'll have a problem :ohwell:
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

You think the tons of round up they are using is not producing run off ? What rock have you been living under ??

no under-rock-living ... just rural living, amongst farmers and ranchers.

the way traditional pesticides were applied vs. the way roundup is different. traditional methods left LOTS of runoff of bad, bad stuff. it got to other animals. it got easily to the water. and it wasn't good for us, either. this new roundup, meanwhile, doesn't have runoff, because it goes into the soil. now, it definitely screws with the bacteria levels in the soil. it is throwing off stuff there, and they're working to figure out what that all means. but most studies have shown that roundup won't go deep enough into the soil to get into the water table.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options

well, some call them canola seeds. but, technically, you're right. rapeseed comes from canola plants.

and they named it canola oil because, well, who would buy rapeseed oil? and it is technically a GM product, but it wasn't done in a lab ... they worked to selectively crossbreed rapeseed plants to lower the euric acid in the oil. (the same process, by the way, was used to create things like the seedless watermelon.)

There is no such thing as a canola plant -- the plant is called rapeseed. It was developed in Canada so we get the name canola, short for "Canadian oil, low acid"

Canola is created as follows: "Almost all commercial grade canola oil is then refined using hexane. Finally, the crude oil is refined using water precipitation and organic acid, "bleaching" with clay, and deodorizing using steam distillation." YUM!
  • phynyxfyre
    Options
    Didn't know that about the smoke point or seedless watermelon! Awesome!

Also, I will definitely check into the Walmart Effect book.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Someone should have warned me to put on my tin foil hat before coming in here
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options

what you aren't right about is that it's bad for you. no studies that show any link between disease and canola oil. it also contains monounsaturated fats -- which, when used in place of saturated fat, brings down LDL levels, reducing risk of heart disease. it also contains omega-3. which, again, is good for your heart.

canola oil works really well for sauteing and baking because of it's smoke point. this means less carcinogens and free radicals being released. again. good.

Yes, canola oil is safe. The idea that it's bad for you is very outdated based on varieties that are most certainly not used to produce canola oil for human consumption.

I refer to the Mayo Clinic here for a very brief answer to this question correcting this misinformation:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/canola-oil/AN01281/
  • phynyxfyre
    Options
    Someone should have warned me to put on my tin foil hat before coming in here

Lol. No, that's called an AFDB: Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie!