Getting Fit is Expensive! what do you do to save some $

Options
So my feet keep going numb in my work out shoes - esp as/after I do my JM-30 Day Shred, so I figure I reaaaallly need some new workout shoes! (&& would love some new gear too! lol)

Went online looking & HOLY POO, all the workout stuff I love/want/need is so expensive!!! ...and not only workout stuff - I would LOOOVVVEEE to buy more organic foods, but I hardly ever have money in my budget after all the other necessitites....

Im thinking there has to be a way around some of this stuff or maybe a place to buy stuff cheaper that I am not aware of...or something! lol

What do you do to save money now that you are being/eating healthier?

Replies

• McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    It's cheaper than doctor visits, prescriptions, i've seen a lot of times xxl clothes are $2 more than "normal" sized clothes, fast food isn't cheap. How much is a healthier life worth to you?
  • lg3703
    lg3703 Posts: 190
    Options
    Im lucky, we have a garden and our own mini farm. Also I prioritize - I do my own nails and go to the college for my hair cuts and highlights... $15 instead if $100. Hell I even turned off the cable at one time! (Football season- I gotta have it- lol) Remember YOUR health is worth the trade off! =]
  • GMPetti82
    GMPetti82 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Something you may want to consider is checking out places like Amazon for some of your fitness needs. Ebay and Craigslist are good for items you can take 2nd hand (dumbbells, exercise balls, resistance bands) Shoes, well, they are expensive for sure. See if you can find promotions, coupons or deals on line for them. They are probably one of the best investments you can make for exercise. They often have the same products for a bit cheaper. As far as organic fruits and vegetables, see if you can participate in a local co-op. In my area there is a company called Suburban Organics. Each week we get a box of organic fruit and veggies, and if we do the co-op with friends, you get a discount on your order.
  • SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Sierratradingpost.com is a great place for running shoes. I got 2 pair of my favorite shoes for the same price as one pair at the store. And they often have free shipping
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Walking and hiking are free and I love to walk with my little guy and pup. I've basically got my own home gym now from equipment I've gotten from craigslist for dirt cheap. Also, walmart and old navy are great for cheap workout clothing.

Just don't go cheapo on the shoes. Get the best pair of running shoes you can.
  • 1973CJ5
    1973CJ5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Don't skimp on your shoes. I buy the best fitting ones I can find regardless of the price. Makes a huge difference!!!
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Only thing Ive seen an increase of cost in is buying more fruits. Ok clothes too but I try to only buy 2 new shirts a month and a new set of workout clothes monthly as well top and bottom but I wear compression clothing for working out and that stuff sucks when its too loose. Shoes I try to replace every 6 months if possible.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    There is something of a learning curve to it. Also remember that a lot of stuff is a one-time expense; dumbbells aren't going to go bad and require replacing, for example. When I started out, I got an exercise mat, a set of resistance bands, and a pair of running shoes. My boyfriend got one pair of 60 lb dumbbells and we already had a Swiss ball as well. This has worked really well for a wide variety of exercises and probably cost less than $150 (about the cost of a one month gym membership for one person around here).

Also, get creative when you don't have something. For example, I've been doing a program that involves using a medicine ball for ab exercises but have had absolutely no money to buy one. So I grabbed one of my heavy casebooks and use that. It works just fine since I'm new to the exercises, and now I know that it'll be worth investing in a real medicine ball when I get the funds. Or I'll do dips that I see demonstrated on a low box; I don't have one of those, but I have a folding chair that is perfectly fine to use instead.

When it comes to food, I won't lie, organic is often out of my price range. But you can still get fresh produce and healthy foods within a tight budget rather than relying on prepackaged foods as people often feel stuck doing. One thing I've noticed when I visit people who claim that fresh fruits and vegetables are just "too expensive" and "not worth it" is that they'll have a fridge crammed with rotting produce. It's too expensive because they buy it and don't eat it. That means they've got to be spending even more money on the food they do eat, so it's no surprise that the bills go up. (And admittedly, I have been guilty of this behavior in the past.)

Now, I'll buy fresh fruit to eat but don't buy the other snacks I used to eat as well (only have so much money to go around). And we actually eat it all; the only thing that usually goes bad are fresh herbs when we can't use the giant bunches fast enough. When it's actually making up your diet, it doesn't seem like an extraneous expense; it's just food.

When it comes to vegetables, frozen can be even better than fresh, nutritionally-speaking, since it's frozen right away while the vegetables in the produce section might have to travel thousands of miles before you get your hands on it. I always keep bags of frozen broccoli on hand; they're an easy way to get vegetables into any meal (as a side, in a stir fry, as baked potato stuffing, lots of ways).

Finally, shop sales. I'll look up my grocery store's ad online before I go and make the list based on what's on special. So this week, stone fruit was on sale for less than $1.50/lb. We've been eating fresh peaches and plums every day for a grand total of about $5. I'll also buy chicken breast in bulk (it's on sale about half the time) and cook off five pounds or so in the oven at once; then I always have a healthy option quick and ready to throw into any meal. I also always keep a few staples on hand, like dry black beans (much cheaper than canned by volume, without all the sodium) and potatoes.
  • mulcahya
    mulcahya Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    www.wiggle.co.uk is good for cheaper high quality shoes / work out clothes :)
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'd spend my money on good shoes first!
    I always by good supportive comfortable shoes for workout and work. Buy the best you can afford! Your body will thank you.

THEN go to consignment/thrifty shops for clothes. This year I didn't buy any "new" summer clothes and just worked with what I had then about 2 weeks ago I went and got a bagful on clearance for $50, including new running shorts. :happy:

Now with food, we eat a lot of peanut butter, beans, chicken, ground turkey, milk, yogurt, tuna and fruit. Try to buy things that are versatile. I try to shop with a plan based off the sales folder or what coupons I have. And stock up when there's sales. Also I think it's the mornings (not sure?) when they mark down the meat. Inspect it really good and check the date (which sometimes I've found doesn't expire for a couple of days) then throw it in the freezer. Try not to be brand loyal, but on certain things like cheese I refuse to compromise.

I try to buy organic fruits and veggies but if it doesn't happen all the time, I don't sweat it. Oh I didn't catch your location, but some stores match sale prices of competitors so I take advantage of that too.

For exercise, instead of buying a DVD, I get a free apps for my phone or go to youtube. It's not real interactive but it's cheap.

Hope this helps! :happy:
  • annamc18
    annamc18 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions, everyone!

I definitely think I am going to find at least a good farmers market around here so I can buy from local farmers & get organic foods at least a bit cheaper than the stores. I will also save up some money for some better exercise shoes - the ones I have now will just have to work until then lol

I think the idea about craigslist or workout equipment is a great idea - didn't really thing of that at all!

Thanks again!
  • hilary57
    hilary57 Posts: 18
    Options
    Depending on where you are, see if there is some "community supported agriculture" farms near you, in addition to your farmer's market. These are a little less expensive than buying "organic" produce at the grocery store, especially if the grocery store is considered a "health food" grocery store. Some CSA's let you *work* for a portion of your share of food.

I buy everything as local as possible. The term "organic" doesn't matter so much ... the small time farmer may well be doing everything organic but chooses NOT to pay for the certification (I imagine it is not cheap!) and then have to pass off those fees to the consumer. *shrug* I also started buying all my meat from a local rancher ... and the beef is 100% grass fed. The feed he uses for his chickens, lamb and pigs is certified organic and non-GMO. There is a small dairy ranch just up the road from me where I buy all my dairy (from Gurnsey and Jerseys cows, not a Holstein in the herd ... good health benefits there, but long explanation) including raw milk.

None of this is cheap, but I find myself needing LESS food (we were all overeating!), and there's a lot less waste. My food budget is straining a bit, but there are other budget items I can cut to make it up. I quit buying wine and beer for one thing! LOL The raw milk is $8/gallon and will be going up to $10 the first of September. But I used to easily spend that on wine/beer each week. Oh, and no more Starbucks! Well, except for their whole bean Kenyan coffee which I brew every morning (did you know that coffee has a good amount of potassium??).

I agree with the poster who mentioned the cost of medications. You are probably young enough to not have that looming in your very near future, but trust us olders one ... you do NOT want to have to stay alive on prescription medications. Especially if you live in the US.

Oh, and one other thing, have you tried growing some of your own produce ... even in containers? A lot of folks can keep a good supply of salad makings even in their apartments, if the have a sunny spot on a balcony or something. If a sunny spot is not available where you live, look around at friends' homes and see if there is potential there. There are some good magazines devoted to urban vegetable gardening.

Best wishes! And like every one said, pay good money for good shoes, but don't pay premium $$$$. Depending on how much mileage you are putting on them, they wear out within 6 months, on average. I ignored my shoes and ended up with a royal case of plantar fasciitis. Ouch.
  • KStambulic
    KStambulic Posts: 131
    Options
    I bought my weights and weight bench from listings on Kijiji. A lot cheaper than buying new. Workout clothing; nothing special, just old tee-shirts and shorts since I work out at home. Walmart if I was working out at a gym. Costco had yoga pants on sale a couple weeks ago for $14 each; those online, name-brand workout clothes are so expensive.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    It's expensive when you ramp up. And, you buy all the wrong things in the beginning, so, later you re-buy the right things later. Yes, that is expensive. But, once you get rolling, it's cheap as hell, and if it's not, you're probably doing Cross Fit or something.
  • NoSpandex
    Options
    You can also get good tech gear (shirts, pants, shorts, socks, etc) pretty cheap at Target. If you have an Off Broadway Shoes in your area you can get the good name brand shoes at a much cheaper price than at the athletic store.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I can't afford to buy organic. Where I live, I can get enough fruits and veggies to get me through the week for probably ten dollars. I don't eat a TON, but I think I get enough.
  • sskk2000
    Options
    What are your expenses?

1) Shoes - find the best shoes regardless - and then search the net for best prices
    2) Gym memberships - we have a community Gym that cost $100 a year and everything is in this gym including personal trainers
    3) Clothes to wear to the gym - if you are cycling then you need the padded butt cycle shorts - look for them on ebay or buy an off brand - otherwise wear shorts, capris and any top - no one cares
    4. Eating healthly - find a farmer's market - they are growing the fruits and vegetables - you get a ton of nutrients and lower prices
    5. Eating healthy proteins - what is your budget for grocery shopping per week - then work back from that - if you have a very tight budget remember all the beans are protein and inexpensive. Some frozen fish is very inexpensive. You can purhcase deli meat and eat a slice for your protein and it will last all week. Fill up with vegetables. Buy produce in season when the cost is lower.
    6. Buy only what you will eat. throwing away food is a waste and expensive. Buy frozen vegetables which is the second best nutrient value. You can eat them and have no waste.
    7. Can you share more information? What is costing you so much more money? If it is clothing - go to the discount stores, big box stores.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    for workout shoes
    -also if they are going numb, get a size bigger and tie them tight - it helps me.

joesnewbalanceoutlet.com for like 80% off new balance fitness shoes organized by sport

for workout wear

- check out the danskin line on wal-mart.com - you can spend almost nothing and get a few outfits. sets of two bright sports bras - $6, stretch yoga/running pants $5-10, workout tanks and tops $3-10

a cheap gym-

planet fitness gym - $10 a month
    YMCA
    local park and rec center (sometimes $50/year)

dumbbells

10pound dumbbells on Amazon $25

MISC:

yoga mat - $8 at Target
    used DVDs on amazon - 50 cents plus shipping
    running socks - $5 old navy
    sports bras - champion ones will last you for years, get a size too small at target for $16

magazine subscription for pre-planned motivation delivered to your door - $12-15 for the year

running - free
    yoga - free
    pilates - free
    body weight circuit training - free
    playing outside - free
    shadow boxing - free
    cartwheels - free
    dancing in your livingroom - free
    free pass to test drive a gym - free
    ride along with a friend to the gym day - free
    bypassing mcdonalds - free
    skipping two extra sugars in your coffee - free
    parking far from the entrance to the store - free
    walking instead of driving - more than free

good healthy foods?

contact your local paper and ask them where and when any and all farmers markets are - but shopping the sales in the produce section and the meat section is just as good.

The problem is that people are used to buying food and stocking their cabinets for a few weeks. the healthiest foods go bad within a week - so dont SAVE it for something awesome- eat it NOW and dont be afraid to do so.

yeah I know that melons and avocadoes and broccoli and everything isnt that cheap but guess whats more not cheap?

chips and dip
    prepackaged meals
    fast food a couple times a week
    covering everything in cheese
    fried chicken
    cooking everything in BUTTER
    over indulging in sour cream on that healthy burrito
    adding salt and condiments to everything and not knowing how to eat without them
    eating double the serving sizes
    filling your whole plate
    thinking that meat is supposed to take up half your plate.

research and realise that getting fit saves you an enormous amount of money and health costs
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    for work out shoes, i usually buy the clearance rack at sports authority. i don't care if they're last years shoes. and i don't need micheal jordans signature on the side of them. good old new balance is good for me.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    free pass to test drive a gym - free

this. i worked out in my neighborhood gyms for about a month for free just trying them all for a free week each. they should be having fall sales coming up soon.