Any Adults Who Are Living At Home???

Options

Replies

• maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i have a little bit of a different situation. my mom and i are roommates. neither one of us can afford to live alone. so we share a house and we split the bills so that it's the same percentage of pay for each of us.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Get out of your parents' home! I am with the girl who said you could have had a good deposit for a house saved by now and if you can't put away at least 12 grand a year you'll never be able to pay a mortgage, utilities, food, car insurance, petrol, internet etc. It's a struggle sometimes, like when something breaks that you're unprepared for... but owning your own home is worth it. Get on your feet and get saving!

It isn't that I have never lived on my own, I did it from 19-21 and then from 23-31. I know it takes a lot. That is also the time I ended up with credit card debt so I could pay for my health insurance, doctory bills, food, gas.

I will also say again, when you have a roommate or a SO, who makes close to what I make, it would be no problem with saving and splitting bills, but that isnt' the case. I am by myself, and after cleaning up my mess ( debt from cc's and hospital bills from a outpatient procedure that left me with thousands of out of pocket expenses ) I can save about $800-1000 a month. I am NOT without bills living with my parents. Maybe it's different in big cities as to how much a "good living" wage is, but I live in a small town in Wisconsin.

I live in a small town in Ireland and I am not living with my SO...and cut up your damn credit cards!!!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I'm 29 and have been in your exact situation, except I have a child, so the saving money part is extremely hard for me. I have moved out about 3 times, only to end up back home in the end because my baby daddy is a POS and doesn't provide anything for us. So it's almost impossible for me to be on my own unless I want to collect welfare and food stamps and such. Which I don't, because I would rather live here at home with my most favorite people in the world. I as well pay rent, and help with all the chores. In return I get 2 rooms, one for me and one for my son.
    I do however feel a little bummy sometimes as well. It just feels like you can't grow up, when you are already a grown *kitten* woman! I hate the feeling sometimes, but I agree... I'm so grateful for my parents and all the help they have provided.
    All in all, the economy is crummy. There are many people who are living in multiple person homes now a days. I have a few friends who live at home with their parents and children. Cost of living is greater than our income... what can you do about that?!

You just make it work. My dad worked 2 jobs to raise my because that's what he HAD to do. Too many people now chooe to do what is easiest rather than what they NEED to do to support their kids or themselves..

I'm 25, POS sperm donor of a dad and I manage to support myself and my son. I didn't finish college, work as a secretary and have very little spending money. I've managed to pay $650/mo in rent, $360/mo in daycare and a $350/mo car payment. NO GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE. It is possible, hard work but possible!
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm 29 and have been in your exact situation, except I have a child, so the saving money part is extremely hard for me. I have moved out about 3 times, only to end up back home in the end because my baby daddy is a POS and doesn't provide anything for us. So it's almost impossible for me to be on my own unless I want to collect welfare and food stamps and such. Which I don't, because I would rather live here at home with my most favorite people in the world. I as well pay rent, and help with all the chores. In return I get 2 rooms, one for me and one for my son.
    I do however feel a little bummy sometimes as well. It just feels like you can't grow up, when you are already a grown *kitten* woman! I hate the feeling sometimes, but I agree... I'm so grateful for my parents and all the help they have provided.
    All in all, the economy is crummy. There are many people who are living in multiple person homes now a days. I have a few friends who live at home with their parents and children. Cost of living is greater than our income... what can you do about that?!

You just make it work. My dad worked 2 jobs to raise my because that's what he HAD to do. Too many people now chooe to do what is easiest rather than what they NEED to do to support their kids or themselves..

I'm 25, POS sperm donor of a dad and I manage to support myself and my son. I didn't finish college, work as a secretary and have very little spending money. I've managed to pay $650/mo in rent, $360/mo in daycare and a $350/mo car payment. NO GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE. It is possible, hard work but possible!

She is paying rent so not as if she isn't earning her own keep. There is nothing wrong with living with family if you're putting your work/money into the household. The only reason people look down at this is because society has put a stigma on it. I think a healthier environment would be to live with family then a parent having to have two jobs and are never home to have time for their kids (not meaning it as a slap to you but so many people tout that as if its something great but its really not, its unhealthy in many ways).
  • poshcouture
    Options
    I've been independent for a long time before I was laid off from my job of over 10 years with a well-known health insurance company. On top of that, my mother and father divorced and my mother was struggling to keep up with the bills. I made a hard decision to pack up and leave Texas to move in with my mother. Finding employment was difficult in itself; giving up my independency was almost torture.

The past 8 months has been rough. We do much better when we're not living within the same state LOL. Now that my Aunt has moved in, I know that I can start making preparations to move. Believe me! I'm ready! Three women living together in 2400 square feet is nowhere near enough space. TOO. MUCH. ESTROGEN.
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    If you've been living with your parents for a couple of years without paying rent, you should easily have saved $1000 - $1500 a month. By now you should have at least $24,000 for a downpayment.

If you're unable to save $1000 a month, then I don't see you ever moving out because owning a home cost $1000+ per month (incl property taxes, utilities etc).

If you're going to continue living there, at least pay your parents a decent rent, they deserve it.

Depends on where a person lives. Here in Michigan you can buy a house for anywhere from $26000-$100000 the average house in a nice neighborhood $85000

http://www.trulia.com/home_prices/Michigan/

This website is funny...It says the average cost of a home in my county is almost $200k...I did not spend anywhere near that!! I have a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom, double lot so my yard is HUGE!!! with an attached garage and everything!!
  • fbmandy55
    Options

She is paying rent so not as if she isn't earning her own keep. There is nothing wrong with living with family if you're putting your work/money into the household. The only reason people look down at this is because society has put a stigma on it. I think a healthier environment would be to live with family then a parent having to have two jobs and are never home to have time for their kids (not meaning it as a slap to you but so many people tout that as if its something great but its really not, its unhealthy in many ways).

I agree that it's fine to put money and work into your parents household if you are living there but there is a difference between living at home of of necessity and convenience. What kid of example does it set for your kids when they live with their grandparents rather than a home with their mom or dad or both? Of course this is all just my personal opinion but I feel it is much healthier for a child to have a stable home environment that doesn't involve moving around or living with other people. Also, if you are smart/thrifty and can manage money, you can do it and be there for your kids. I only work 40 hours a week. Everything in my home (furniture, tv, etc) I have gained over 5 years. We don't have a computer, cable or internet but we have a happy life.
  • fbmandy55
    Options
    If you've been living with your parents for a couple of years without paying rent, you should easily have saved $1000 - $1500 a month. By now you should have at least $24,000 for a downpayment.

If you're unable to save $1000 a month, then I don't see you ever moving out because owning a home cost $1000+ per month (incl property taxes, utilities etc).

If you're going to continue living there, at least pay your parents a decent rent, they deserve it.

Depends on where a person lives. Here in Michigan you can buy a house for anywhere from $26000-$100000 the average house in a nice neighborhood $85000

http://www.trulia.com/home_prices/Michigan/

This website is funny...It says the average cost of a home in my county is almost $200k...I did not spend anywhere near that!! I have a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom, double lot so my yard is HUGE!!! with an attached garage and everything!!

I work for a real estate board and trulia is a joke. It's full of old/inaccurate data. Realtor.com is a better source with accurate daily IDX feeds from MLS associations and boards all over the country.
  • poshcouture
    Options
    Would it be any different if the OP was a man? I've met countless girls who would criticize men (who are even younger than the OP) that still live at home. I have a good friend that was online dating and would totally drop a guy if she found he was still living at home and over 30. Actually most women I know would do the same exact thing.

It seems that women are the first to stick up for another women who still lives at home and are beyond critical when they meet a guy who's doing the same thing.

Discuss.

I may seem like an *kitten* but yes it is different. As a friend I would understand that you would have to live at home since its hard times, but if you are living at home or dont have a job why are you dating? You cant go to dinner, you cant plan a future so is he just looking to move out of his parents place and into mine?
    Ha, so it's totally ok for a woman to be looking to move out of the parents place into a guy's place? What a pathetic attitude.

It's rough right for alot of people; loss of jobs, income, homes. These are perfectly legitimate reasons for singles AND couples to move back in with family members. However, there are some people that just refuse to get up and look for a job and live to mooch off of their parents. The stereotype is unemployed, overweight 40 y/o men living in their parents' basement playing Call of Duty all day. Not so much. I know some women that are just as complacent living at home and doing nada.

I work everyday (Okay, I'm wasting time in this thread at the moment) and I pay bills. I've taken over mortgage payments, utilities and the like for the sake of helping my mother.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Would it be any different if the OP was a man? I've met countless girls who would criticize men (who are even younger than the OP) that still live at home. I have a good friend that was online dating and would totally drop a guy if she found he was still living at home and over 30. Actually most women I know would do the same exact thing.

It seems that women are the first to stick up for another women who still lives at home and are beyond critical when they meet a guy who's doing the same thing.

Discuss.

I may seem like an *kitten* but yes it is different. As a friend I would understand that you would have to live at home since its hard times, but if you are living at home or dont have a job why are you dating? You cant go to dinner, you cant plan a future so is he just looking to move out of his parents place and into mine?
    Ha, so it's totally ok for a woman to be looking to move out of the parents place into a guy's place? What a pathetic attitude.

I am sorry, did I say it was okay for a woman to move into a guys place? I dont see where I said that. I do have my own house, but when I lived wih my parents I wasnt trying to date when I didnt have my own life together. Kind of pathetic yourself that when someone states their own opinion you talk **** instead of just saying you disagree
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I think that regardless of sex, if you live at home and you're COMFORTABLE there... "Oh, I could stay here forever...." There's an issue. Once you have the ability to be a contributing member of society and are doing so, you should not be content sponging off your parents.

But everybody has tough times and we should all be so lucky to have family to rely on.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I think that regardless of sex, if you live at home and you're COMFORTABLE there... "Oh, I could stay here forever...." There's an issue. Once you have the ability to be a contributing member of society and are doing so, you should not be content sponging off your parents.

I LOVE living with my parents, I am comfortable and would totally live with them forever if it were possible. I think cultures where whole families live together and help each other out have the right idea. I get along great with my parents and since my husband is in the Navy, I sometimes go home for extended periods of time when he's deployed. My mom and I always fall into a routine where we work together. Taking turns cooking/cleaning/etc... It makes things easier for her and more enjoyable for me.

Sponging off your parents isn't cool though. I think if you're going to live with them, you should absolutely be contributing to the household.
  • DanTTX
    DanTTX Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Reading.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly certain you can find a one bedroom or studio apartment for under $700/month in most places. I don't really understand why you're still with your mother, TBH.

and where would that be?

Where I live in IL rent for a 1 bedroom or studio, starts at a minimum.. 1000. Plus the utilitles, food and everything else that comes along with renting an apartment.

It's freaking sick how much people charge to rent a place... and considering I make a little over a grand a month, there is no way I can go anywhere until I'm making at least 30,000 to 40,000 dollars a year.

OP said small town in WI... I live in a small town in WI and my one bedroom apartment is $490 with everything included but electric
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options

I LOVE living with my parents, I am comfortable and would totally live with them forever if it were possible. I think cultures where whole families live together and help each other out have the right idea. I get along great with my parents and since my husband is in the Navy, I sometimes go home for extended periods of time when he's deployed. My mom and I always fall into a routine where we work together. Taking turns cooking/cleaning/etc... It makes things easier for her and more enjoyable for me.

Sponging off your parents isn't cool though. I think if you're going to live with them, you should absolutely be contributing to the household.

Its also alot better then people who move out from their parents and never check on them as become elders! That's another plus side to families living together, someone is there to help the other person which can come in handy in emergency situations. My family has had this kind of culture, I'm not sure where it came from but maybe because my family comes from a poor background (when you several generations back). My husband and I live with my mom and grandparents. My aunts live with their uncle and my cousins living with their parents who may live with theirs, and so on. Its very common in my family for the younger people to move in with the older ones or the older ones move in with the younger ones, it makes chores easier, resources easier since we all pull together and we have a great social quality time with each other. I can care less if we fit in the norms of society. There's so much you can do as a family.
  • kadera37
    Options
    I have been there, too. I lost my job a couple years ago and had to ask my Mom to take me back (thankfully she said yes or I probably would have been homeless). I was only there about six months before I managed to move back out, but I was highly motivated because my Mom & I don't get along that well. Don't get me wrong, we love each other dearly, but we just don't do well in such close and continued proximity (we get along great now that I'm in Wisconsin the whole year and she's in Florida most of the year. :).

So yes, I think it isn't as unusual as it used to be (or at least what we're told it used to be), but like some others here have said as long as you aren't mooching, the situation is temporary, and you have some plan and you are both OK with it, it's not a bad thing. It's just a matter of how you feel and what your goals are.
  • Smiling_Sara
    Smiling_Sara Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly certain you can find a one bedroom or studio apartment for under $700/month in most places. I don't really understand why you're still with your mother, TBH.

and where would that be?

Where I live in IL rent for a 1 bedroom or studio, starts at a minimum.. 1000. Plus the utilitles, food and everything else that comes along with renting an apartment.

It's freaking sick how much people charge to rent a place... and considering I make a little over a grand a month, there is no way I can go anywhere until I'm making at least 30,000 to 40,000 dollars a year.

OP said small town in WI... I live in a small town in WI and my one bedroom apartment is $490 with everything included but electric

That is a decent price. I don't know where you live in wi, (I'm south eastern) in the nicer area of town rent is about 600-700. That is almost half of my take home pay. It would be very hard to swing. But if I save enough for a down payment and make my mortgage payments half that, that I could do.
  • Smiling_Sara
    Smiling_Sara Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    and just as I'm about to be able to save $300 and throw it into savings, the heatlh insurance bill comes for $600.00 Ugh.

Will be rereadign this entire thread again today. Thanks for all the replies all. =)
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    We have both of our adult children living at home...daughter is 25 this year and son is 21. Daughter has a full time job and helps buy food and stuff when asked. Son is still looking for a job..but he cleans our 2 story house..cooks and does anything asked of him. I LOVE having my kids here. I want them to be happy and if staying here with us makes them happy then so be it. When they are ready to wing it on their own they will go when ready and have my blessing but until then...I LOVE it!
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I have been divorced now for over 2 years. Because I rolled over and gave my house to my ex husband like the moron that I am I had to go back home to live with my parents mainly because I cannot afford to live on my own. I see it as a blessing to me especially now. My dad is on dialysis he is a Type 2 Diabetic and he can barely walk. I help my mother take care of him. I work part time draw partial unemployment and go to college. I help my parents I do give them money for bills and I do buy my own groceries and pay for my own bills as well. I don't sponge off my parents. I feel bad because I want to be able to get out on my own, but I know mom is struggling taking care of my father and since my parents took care of me I want to help take care of them.