My fat doesnt turn into muscle

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Im really not a fan of weights, i try and stick to mainly cardio....

That's your main problem. How do you expect to build muscle without heavy resistance training?

I cant do heavy yet, i have a bad back

Heavy is relative. Start with an amount that challenges you, and work your way up. (With your doctor's ok, of course.)

I used to have a wicked bad back. I was once laid up on the couch for a week from a cat puke cleaning accident... turned the wrong way while cleaning hork, and ZING... I couldn't stand up. I haven't had any back problems since I started strength training.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Unless you are Jesus and can make wine out of water, you will not be able to change fat to muscle. You burn off the fat and you built muscle. Thus, you start lifting and doing crunches or whatever you like to built up the muscle, but to get that six pack look, you need to lose the fat - thus diet and exercise. Under every person's layer of fat over their abdomen, there are muscles waiting to be exposed.
  • amorrowmuffin
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)
    Unfortunately I HATE weights LOL but ill up the cardio and start working with light weights high reps!

I was the same way! Hated weights, terrified of them. But the more I began to do them, and the stronger I felt myself getting, and the quicker the weight was coming off....eventually I fell in love.

“If you keep doing what you have always done, you will keep getting what you have always gotten.”

Sometimes we just gotta change things up and try something different. (I apply this to eating new things too since I'm THE pickiest eater on the planet):tongue:

Good luck girl!:happy:

Thanks girl, glad someone knows how i feel :)
  • 2tang
    2tang Posts: 44
    Options
    I would be very careful about telling someone with scoliosis to life heavy weights; it can be done but she will need to be very careful not to make her condition worst. check out this article by a figure competitor with this condition http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/overcoming_obstacles2.htm . You should definitely consider getting a personal trainer or someone with knowledge of your condition before starting any routines
  • RobertaKR
    RobertaKR Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It seems no matter how much I work out, the fat around my core will not burn or turn into muscle. I lose inches no problem but i cant gain any muscle. I eat healthy and I drink plenty of water. I work out at least 3 times a week. Im really not a fan of weights, i try and stick to mainly cardio....swimming, belly dancing, walking, running. tennis.

As I understand it, there is a difference between fat-burning workouts and cardio-fitness workouts. It all has to do with sustained heart rate. I'm no expert but you could ask one or check the internet. I typed "difference between fat-burning and cardio" into google and many links like below came up. Good luck!
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/244027-the-difference-between-cardio-fat-burning/
  • amorrowmuffin
    Options
    I dont want a six pack, I just want enough muscle to support my spine and that i will be able to maintain for the rest of my life.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    I have/had mild scoliosis, and degraded disks in my lower back and also neck from injuries. (cartilidge between them is gone, bone chips there) I have a dislocated knee injury, that I was told would require surgery, and probably cause problems all my life. (from 20 plus years ago) Bone chips there in the joint also, torn cartridge, torn tendons, chipped knee cap...etc.

Often I used to have to "roll" out of the side of bed to try and get my feet under me, then try and balance and stand, and sort of inch my way around for an hour or two, until the pain passed and I could move again. Regular Chiropractic treatment was a must for me personally, just to be functional. I was totally unable to bend at the waist or sides, to get my feet under me or sit up. (until an hour or so after I woke up)

Since I started lifting heavily , regularly, I rarely have any back issues at all, I am much more flexible and mobile, get in and out of bed easily etc.

My chiropractor confirmed, that my story is not unusual - targeted resistance training is very beneficial in cases of back injuries. You certainly need to modify as needed of course, and learn proper form to prevent injury, and use common sense. You can "lift heavy" for you, as long as you are careful not to "overlift", and use good form, and take it slow and easy - and still get some terrific benefits. Resistance bands are an easy way to start.

I am going to be 48 in a few weeks, and I am very mobile, compared to many people my age I see locally.

Today I did a gazzillion bend jackknifes with weighted ball. (lay on the floor and raise hands and feet up to meet in the air, bending at the waist) I could not have done them 5-10 years ago.
    I get out of of bed easily everyday.
    My knee is in amazing shape, very little instability, no limps, no surgery.

I do have supplements I take also to help with joint and bone structure and overall health, based on my needs. But they are a small part of the picture - the resistance training was the key for me anyway. And my Dr and Chiropractor agree
  • amorrowmuffin
    Options
    I would be very careful about telling someone with scoliosis to life heavy weights; it can be done but she will need to be very careful not to make her condition worst. check out this article by a figure competitor with this condition http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/overcoming_obstacles2.htm . You should definitely consider getting a personal trainer or someone with knowledge of your condition before starting any routines

Thank you :), I will have a look at them.
  • raeraeti
    raeraeti Posts: 108
    Options
    Unfortunately I HATE weights LOL but ill up the cardio and start working with light weights high reps!

that wont really work.... lift heavy things...

LIFT HEAVY THINGS :)
    agreed. try it out, you might like it more than ya think
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    To the original poster, you mentioned a bad back and scoliosis. So in that light if you are serious about muscle building you have to learn how to do strength training safely while protecting your back. It can be done. Invest your dollars in a trainer who has experience with working with someone with your specific limitations.

You can lift heavy if you are taught how to do so using your core muscles so that your back is protected. I know this because I have back issues from years of working in nursing and lifting people (prior to all the fancy lifts they have now!). So my back is "fragile" and I protect it. I have been working with my trainer for 3 months on a program, 3 times a week, we do legs/glutes one day, shoulders/back, and arms/chest/core. I am ready now to "fly" solo with check ins to tweak my program. As far as I am concerned it is worth every penny I have spent.

Learn how to do squats, lunges, and many other exercises that will build muscle in your legs, glutes and core. If you have strength there you will be able to protect your back. Good luck. oh and I always thought I could not lift heavy or do the things I am doing now, but you know it is pretty easy and it feels fantastic to be able to say "I did it, I lifted heavy!" Anyone can get on a treadmil and walk! but lifting is very rewarding, far more so than any cardio I have ever done.
  • amorrowmuffin
    Options
    I have/had mild scoliosis, and degraded disks in my lower back and also neck from injuries. (cartilidge between them is gone, bone chips there) I have a dislocated knee injury, that I was told would require surgery, and probably cause problems all my life. (from 20 plus years ago)

Often I used to have to "roll" out of the side of bed to try and get my feet under me, then try and balance and stand, and sort of inch my way around for an hour or two, until the pain passed and I could move again. Regular Chiropractic treatment was a must, just to be functional. I was totally unable to bend at the waist or sides, to get mt feet under me or sit up.

Since I started lifting heavily , regularly, I rarely have any back issues at all, I am much more flexible and mobile, get in and out of bed easily etc.

My chiropractor confirmed, that my story is not unusual - resistance training is very beneficial in cases of back injuries. You certainly need to modify as needed, and learn proper form to prevent injury, and use common sense. You can "lift heavy" for you, as long as you are careful not to "overlift" - and get some terrific benefits.

I am going to be 48 in a few weeks, and I am very mobile, compared to many people my age I see locally.

Today I did a gazzillion bend jackknifes with weight ed ball. (lay on the floor and raise hans and feet up to meet in the air)
    I get of of bed easily everyday.
    My knee is in amazing shape, very little instability, no limps, no surgery.

I do have supplements I take also to help with joint and bone structure and overall health, based on my needs. But they are a small part of the picture - the resistance training was the key.

Thank you for the support and advice :) also happy early birthday.
  • amorrowmuffin
    Options
    To the original poster, you mentioned a bad back and scoliosis. So in that light if you are serious about muscle building you have to learn how to do strength training safely while protecting your back. It can be done. Invest your dollars in a trainer who has experience with working with someone with your specific limitations.

You can lift heavy if you are taught how to do so using your core muscles so that your back is protected. I know this because I have back issues from years of working in nursing and lifting people (prior to all the fancy lifts they have now!). So my back is "fragile" and I protect it. I have been working with my trainer for 3 months on a program, 3 times a week, we do legs/glutes one day, shoulders/back, and arms/chest/core. I am ready now to "fly" solo with check ins to tweak my program. As far as I am concerned it is worth every penny I have spent.

Learn how to do squats, lunges, and many other exercises that will build muscle in your legs, glutes and core. If you have strength there you will be able to protect your back. Good luck.

thank you :)
  • siriusalien
    Options

that wont really work.... lift heavy things...

THIS^
  • usmcjarhead3
    usmcjarhead3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I know this will probably not sound appealing, but as a former Marine DI, we did have to go through a lot of health and nutrition stuff for the recruits. Usually, if you are a recruit that comes in overweight with a high BMI, you will drop pounds and lots of them. I've watched multiple parents come to bootcamp graduation walk right by thier sons because they came in at 200 pounds and graduated at 170. Of course our "high and tight" haircut doesn't help. In the reverse (which was me) I was always a kid on the go and never sat down for 3 good meals a day in my life until I went to bootcamp. I went in at 148 and came out at 163. So the theory is this. Muscle exists in some shape or form already, toned or untoned. Fat usually covers the muscle so until you burn the fat, you won't be able to begin to get to the muscle. If all you are doing is cardio, you will eventually get to the muscle but it probably won't be as toned as you like it. Push ups, sit ups, crunches, planking and jumping jacks and mountain climbers were our staple core of exercises. If you've seen Insanity or PX90, even though they are seriously tough programs, they use those core exercises and many variations of them. Muscle will not form or tone without resistance. Start slow with push ups sit ups crunches etc and maintain the cardio.
    My goal is to eventually get back to triathalons. I went through a lot of stress being in Iraq and Afghanistan for 3 tours so I let myself go. Not bad, but on the verge of no return. I am an avid hockey player, I love to swim and cycle, but the military took the run out of me. So, in closing, there are many many resitance exercises you can do to start firming up the muscle while you are loosing the fat. Plus, there are a lot of studies that say cross training will keep your body from hitting the wall longer becasue you are always on focusing on different activities, muscle groups and such. If you keep your body guessing, it will be harder to hit the wall and plateau. I apologize for this article being so long, but I hope there is some advice you can use. Good luck, Semper Fi!
  • InsaneReidy
    Options
    your doing the wright thing buy doing your cardio this is the only way you can reveal your abs!

Your abs are there its just that stubborn bit off fat is the last place that burns off ( Frustrating as it is)!!

Sounds like your on the right path, Just remember calories eat and calories burnt my be worth figuring these sums out, just dont get obsessed like some people do, Also you might want to increase your workouts and/or intensity to burn that stubborn bit off fat to hell!

GOOD LUCK!!!
    Oh god...

Cardio is not the only way to reveal your abs. A calorie deficit will reveal your abs, no matter how you achieve it, once your bodyfat is low enough.

If you read properly you can see i mentioned calorie intake to calories burned

Its a mixture of them both but just having a calorie deficit will not burn fat stores

Shuld of gone to specsavers m8
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    It seems no matter how much I work out, the fat around my core will not burn or turn into muscle. I lose inches no problem but i cant gain any muscle. I eat healthy and I drink plenty of water. I work out at least 3 times a week. Im really not a fan of weights, i try and stick to mainly cardio....swimming, belly dancing, walking, running. tennis.

How is your daily diet? Are you on a calorie deficit?
  • amorrowmuffin
    Options

I would say that i am because I eat a lot less calories than i burn daily. I have been drinking fruit and veggie smoothies in the morning rather than not eating breakfast at all and it keeps me fuller longer. Today for instance I had a strawberry smoothie with carrots, celery, coconut yogurt, flax and granola for breakfast then for lunch i had salad with balsamic dressing and right after work im going shopping then going for a 45 min speed walk.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

I would say that i am because I eat a lot less calories than i burn daily. I have been drinking fruit and veggie smoothies in the morning rather than not eating breakfast at all and it keeps me fuller longer. Today for instance I had a strawberry smoothie with carrots, celery, coconut yogurt, flax and granola for breakfast then for lunch i had salad with balsamic dressing and right after work im going shopping then going for a 45 min speed walk.

I am not an expert but I often hear people saying by cutting carbhydrate while increasing protein intake they see immediate result...You might want to try that? I am not sure...I just feel it's too much carb to my liking. :)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    your doing the wright thing buy doing your cardio this is the only way you can reveal your abs!

Your abs are there its just that stubborn bit off fat is the last place that burns off ( Frustrating as it is)!!

Sounds like your on the right path, Just remember calories eat and calories burnt my be worth figuring these sums out, just dont get obsessed like some people do, Also you might want to increase your workouts and/or intensity to burn that stubborn bit off fat to hell!

GOOD LUCK!!!
    Oh god...

Cardio is not the only way to reveal your abs. A calorie deficit will reveal your abs, no matter how you achieve it, once your bodyfat is low enough.

If you read properly you can see i mentioned calorie intake to calories burned

Its a mixture of them both but just having a calorie deficit will not burn fat stores

Shuld of gone to specsavers m8
    Hmmm...
    Should have gone to school, mate.