Weight loss surgery...

Options

Replies

• wheresheidi
    Options
    Please seek immediate help for your depression. You have to get those feeling under control before worrying about weight loss.
    I know that sounds crazy but it's true. With help you can control your depression & begin to live a healther life. For you & your child.:heart:
  • leahalissa
    leahalissa Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You know what surgery does for you? Forces you to eat cleaner and in small quantities with mild exercise or you get sick.
    You know what losing weight naturally is? Eating cleaner and in small quantities with exercise lest you get fat.

I mean. It seems like a no-brainer. It's not magic. Save yourself the recovery, expense, and pain and stop making excuses.

And it is comments like this that make people who have had wls feel really good about themselves. My surgeon is involved in reasearch which has found that in the morbidly obese or super orbidly obese group those who have tried and lost weight 'by themselves' in whatever manner they have over 90% regain all that weight and more. Being in that state is an illness it is not 'making excuses'.

WLS is a tool to support weight loss and after that has been achieved, a healthy life. I will be seeing counsellors to address my overeating and issues with food to ensure I never go back to the way I was. For every person that has regained since surgery there are those who have maintained a healthy weight through controlling food and getting in exercise.

Please do not belittle people who have chosen the surgery route, you do not know the effect your words may have.

She's considering lying to physicians and faking tests to qualify for surgery. This is someone that's making excuses. We're not talking about you, or anyone else.

ETA: "there are those who have maintained a healthy weight through controlling food and getting in exercise" -this is my point.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I was one of those I can't do it people. I had a hormone imbalance issue which was corrected. That was only 5% of the battle. I had a hunger I could not make happy some days. I am talking 5-6000 calories easy. I was 330ish in February. I am 264 as of today.
    I cut out all refined everything for the most part. I try to only eat what I can cook from raw.

Well, I TRY :)

And no way, you cant cheat a diabetes test or a sleep test. I wouldn't wish either on anyone. I have severe apnea and wife is type 1 diabetic.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I am working toward surgery. It's far from easy and most certainly not an easy or quick fix to obesity. Speaking from personal experience it sounds like you have other issues you need to deal with before addressing the weight. Depression is a real b!tch when you're overweight. I've dealt with it, or rather lived with it, most of my life. I didn't start actually dealing with it until a couple years ago.

It is virtually impossible to lose weight until you deal with the reasons you are overweight to begin with. You have to deal with and understand what drives you to overeat, the real reasons you don't exercise. Not the excuses we make for ourselves, but the true, deep seated reasons for our behaviors.

If you try and get surgery as a quick fix without dealing with all the other issues first you will fail. And when you fail after bariatric surgery it's not a good thing, it can be fatal.

I weight close to 600 pounds, deal with chronic pain, depression, sever social anxiety, panic and arthritis. I know where you're at right now. My biggest suggestion is to seek counseling and stick with it. Explore and deal with the issues inside your head before you worry so much about the rest of you.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Here's something to think about: they're going to require you to lose a certain amount of weight normally /before/ they'll even let you get the surgery. So surgery isn't as quick a fix as you might think.

This is true, I have to lose close to 70 pounds before surgery. And that is just one of a very long list of requirements.
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options

She's considering lying to physicians and faking tests to qualify for surgery. This is someone that's making excuses. We're not talking about you, or anyone else.

All you know about her is what she posted above. You do not know her struggles, her life and what has put her in the position where she would even consider such behaviour. It is completely wrong for her to do this but just to be told she doesn't need surgery is not helpful....what excuses is she making?
  • damedame
    damedame Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    alot of times the surgeons will have people lose a little weight prior just to see if you can lose wieght after the procedure is done. rememeber the surgery isnt a cure all. you can gain weight right away if you dont continue excersize anyway
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I agree with one of the other comments--give MFP a try and stay consistent. Use the tools and allow MFP to create a "plan" for you. I understand it's frustrating, but I really don't recommend you try to find a way to "trick" your doctor into approving weight loss surgery. Right now, and this is just a personal opinion, you're over weight but not to the point you'd require weight loss surgery. Most of the people I've known who have had the surgery, who were your height, were over 300lbs. I would just allow this tool to create you a meal plan and then start excercising. You can do it :)
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Weight loss surgery isn't a magic fix, you still have to work hard and eat right, and if you're not managing it now you certainly won't do it after surgery
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    The attitude of trying to "trick" medical tests prove that you are not a candidate for weight loss surgery and even if you have it you will also fail to maintain. Get some counseling and learn to live with food in the healthiest way.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

All you know about her is what she posted above. You do not know her struggles, her life and what has put her in the position where she would even consider such behaviour. It is completely wrong for her to do this but just to be told she doesn't need surgery is not helpful....what excuses is she making?

I bet I can guess though, eating too much rubbish, taking zero responsibility and expecting someone else to fix it. Truth hurts
  • ladyfingers73
    ladyfingers73 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You're honestly is ....welll...ummm...shocking. From what I know about surgery, it's not an easy way out. Sooner or later you have to deal with your demons. I have a good friend on here who had it it's a struggle. Losing weight is 90% Mental....yes, it's a head trip. Maybe you should seek counseling if you can't deal with your own issues alone.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I think before you try to get surgery, you should consider seeking therapy. No amount of weight loss is going to make you love yourself if you don't already. Also, weight loss surgery is not a "quick fix". If you have trouble sticking to a fitness plan now, it'll only be harder after surgery. Most weight loss surgeries require you to be on an extremely strict food regimen with exercise.

But more importantly, look for counseling in your area. You said you were depressed and if weight is stopping you from enjoying life. That's a big problem that should be handled FIRST! You also mentioned you were a cutter. Therapy will help you figure out why you feel how you do and help you figure out how to change your thinking. Once you do that, you may find that losing weight on your own is easier because you have a different outlook.
  • jporte
    jporte Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Some people may disagree with me on this but I have had 5 co-workers who have had the surgery (and I know there are probably different kinds and I have no idea which one had what) but not one of them is normal weight right now.
    1 is in a nursing home after major complications from her surgery.
    2 was diagnosed with MS within a year or 2 after and started losing her eyesight.
    3 is the only one that looks kindoff ok but she's always cold (wears fleece coats in the summer too) so someting isn't right there.
    4 and 5 (5 gained it back fairly quickly too) both gained their weight back...not sure about any other issues though.

And I'm sure that there are probably plenty of people who are perfectly fine after having the surgery but if you can try to do it on your own why risk your life?

You need to try to lose this weight a different way...give it some time....good luck!
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You know what surgery does for you? Forces you to eat cleaner and in small quantities with mild exercise or you get sick.
    You know what losing weight naturally is? Eating cleaner and in small quantities with exercise lest you get fat.

I mean. It seems like a no-brainer. It's not magic. Save yourself the recovery, expense, and pain and stop making excuses.

This.

What I'm disgusted with is not your weight but your mindset.
    Frankly, it really pisses me off when people think there's an easy way out.

Woman up and lose the weight. I started at 275, if I did it, you can do it.
    Stop feeling sorry for yourself.
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    You might want to look into counseling - you sound like you are suffering from depression.

1200 calories a day seems very low for your weight. I'm your height and my starting weight is less and my calories are 1660 a day.
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    You need to consider seeking therapy before considering a life changing surgery like that... My mom had lap band that went horribly wrong.... which meant I had to rush her to the emergency room to get checked out... turns out the Dr screwed up and 80% of her stomach was damaged... she now has a permanant stomach sleeve. She has went from 285 pounds to 115 (she is 5'1") but now has extreme difficulty eating at all most days and is struggling to gain weight... use the surgery as a FINAL effort...
  • corriewarren
    Options
    I work at a sleep lab and I have also had lapband. First off, you do not want to "fail" a sleep study and pretend that you have sleep apnea. It is a very serious and can be a fatal problem if not treated. If you are diagnosed with sleep apnea, it will follow you in your medical record forever. Your insurance can be affected by the diagnosis. I would not recommend this thought at all.

Second, I had lap band surgery and all was great. I lost 65 pounds. Then one day, I got food poisining and started throwing up. Now granted, throwing up before lap band and after lap band are two totally different things. It is like comparing an apple to a twinkie. I threw up as best I could all night long and thought I was throwing up the stuff I had eaten since it was brownish in color. That morning I got up, went to the restroom, threw up bright red blood, went to leave the restroom, and passed out in the hallway. My 15 yr old son had to drive me to the hospital with me throwing up blood in a bag. We got to the hospital and I was in such extreme pain, they considered it to be a trauma and rushed me through. I was immediately started on IV's and admitted into the hospital. After three days of being knocked out so that I would not be in constant pain, they gave me a barium swallow to test my lap band. I had had a barium swallow many times before with the lap band and there was never a problem. That day however, I did the swallow and then proceeded to throw up the barium. The doctor and nurses rushed into my room, and I was rushed to emergency surgery. They said that it was to the point that it was life threatening. My band had slipped down too far over my stomach since I had not eaten anything and then it had twisted. They removed my band. Seven days of hospital sleeping later, I was home for a week to recooperate.

Now, all that being said....would I do it again to lose weight? Yes, but I would be so much more cautious with my eating. I have not had Manwich meat and sauce ever since this instance. I know people who have gone through the surgery and others like it and have turned out 50-100 pounds less in the end and feel great. I would caution you to get a good physician (mine was rated in the top 10 in Texas for 12 years running - it was not his fault), get a good educator to help you with eating afterwards and have a plan of attack on what you will or will not be able to eat. They tell you soft foods. OK - ask yourself what soft foods WILL you eat? They say you can have soup? OK - what SOUP will you eat? and can you eat a lot of it? Also, find out BEFORE your surgery if you will be able to get PERSONAL insuarnce coverage afterwards. I didn't do this. Although I paid for the surgery out of my own pocket, unless my employer gives me insurance, I am not eligible for any private coverage. That and I owed the hospital over $250,000.00 after it was all said and done.\

Please be cautious about surgery and do not try to fake sleep study results. :noway:
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Look people - let's get one thing out of the way here... WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY IS NOT A "QUICK FIX", nor is it the "EASY WAY OUT"! I am 8 1/2 years post-op and still have my weight off. Why - Because I have done everything that the doctors told me to, I work my butt off every day in an effort to keep the weight off, AND, I got my head on straight before having WLS and addressed the issues that caused me to be addicted to food.

To the original poster - Based on your comments here you ARE NOT yet a candidate for WLS. I would highly recommend that you go see a counselor for a few sessions. If there is not a physical reason you are overweight it is highly likely that you are addicted to food - in the same way that people are addicted to nicotine, alcohol, etc. The problem is that when you are addicted to food you can't just stop consuming it or you will die. So, you have to address the problems that have led to the food addiction. Until you do that you absoultely should not have weight loss surgery. While you are doing this use MFP, reach out to the community that is her to be support for you and talk to your doctor about a food and exercise program for yourself. Absoutely (as others have said) do not fake anything medically. Can you imagine what you would be doing to your body if you faked diabetes somehow and started treating something like that that you don't have? You would really mess up your body.

Hope this is helpful - good luck!
  • rustyguy
    rustyguy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Have you tried seeing a nutritionist and a personal trainer? I began seeing a nutritionist and had no idea how badly I was eating. When you have a problem as serious as this it may require some professional help to get it under control. It took months for me to change the way I eat.

1200 calories may not be enough for you to not feel hungry. If you are not eating the right food you will constantly feel hungry no matter how many calories you consume. This leads to overeating. My nutritionist made sure I was eating a sufficient volume of food so that I felt full. This included so much chicken and vegetables that there were days I couldn't finish what he planned for me.