Paleo diet? Your thought?

Options

Replies

• PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options

How can one be better off than disease free and healthy?

Not sure if you are looking for a fight or making a legitimate inquiry, but my response to that would be "prevention".

Prevention of what? I've been eating things Paleo restricts for half a century and have remained healthy with no known disease risk factors. Even if I ignored the science showing that restricted foods can be part of a healthy diet, my personal experience alone is enough for me to keep doing what I'm doing.

Not looking for a fight, just wondering why anyone would suggest someone like me should change their diet.

I never suggested you should change your diet. If other people do that is for them to defend. I even said earlier, "to each his (or her) own". If what you are doing works for you then more power to ya! I did edit my earlier post to also say that eating Paleo has made me feel better in my personal life.

If what you are doing works, I am not here to change your mind. And I didn't mean to offend (if I did) when I asked if you were looking for a fight. Many people on here seem to be, and it is just so hard to sense tonality when reading text on a forum... :drinker:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My thought is that it can be healthy, but outside some disease requiring it, restricting the foods they restrict is completely unnecessary for weight loss or health.

I have heard some complete nonsense regarding food from some MFP members doing Paleo, but that doesn't mean the diet is unhealthy.

I, being disease free and healthy, would not restrict foods I like and know to be healthy just to because a "diet" told me to.

^^^^ This

Fad diets are what they are. If you want to try it. Good luck. Personally, I'm not a caveman, so I choose not to eat like one. :tongue:
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options

Not sure if you are looking for a fight or making a legitimate inquiry, but my response to that would be "prevention".

Prevention of what? I've been eating things Paleo restricts for half a century and have remained healthy with no known disease risk factors. Even if I ignored the science showing that restricted foods can be part of a healthy diet, my personal experience alone is enough for me to keep doing what I'm doing.

Not looking for a fight, just wondering why anyone would suggest someone like me should change their diet.

There's been some research, although not a lot, stating that risk factors for cardiovascular disease have been diminished and those already with type 2 diabetes had improved glycemic control.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2787021/

If you believe your particular diet works for you, there really isn't any reason to change. As for me, nothing has worked except for paleo, but subjective testimonial doesn't prove that paleo is right for everyone.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

There's been some research, although not a lot, stating that risk factors for cardiovascular disease have been diminished and those already with type 2 diabetes had improved glycemic control.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2787021/

If you believe your particular diet works for you, there really isn't any reason to change. As for me, nothing has worked except for paleo, but subjective testimonial doesn't prove that paleo is right for everyone.

I don't believe any diet is right for everyone.
  • tsavisky
    tsavisky Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The most popular 24 diets were ranked in 2011 and 2012 for quality, safety, and effectiveness. Paleo finished dead last both times.

The science behind it is not only disputed, but never proven to begin with, and it's basically just a fad.

That being said, if it makes someone happy and it helps them to lose weight, more power to them.

Could you post a link to these rankings? What is your source?

This was a US New and World Report ranking from last year. You can read Dr Cordain's rebuttal here:
    http://thepaleodiet.com/dr-cordains-rebuttal-to-u-s-news-and-world-report-top-20-diets/

Nice link Caribougal!
  • bcattoes
    Options

I never suggested you should change your diet. If other people do that is for them to defend. I even said earlier, "to each his (or her) own". If what you are doing works for you then more power to ya! I did edit my earlier post to also say that eating Paleo has made me feel better in my personal life.

If what you are doing works, I am not here to change your mind. And I didn't mean to offend (if I did) when I asked if you were looking for a fight. Many people on here seem to be, and it is just so hard to sense tonality when reading text on a forum... :drinker:

No offense was taken. I'm sure restricting the things Paleo restricts work for some. Even some people with no known diseases or disorders may benefit from restriction if they have symptoms such as bloating or other digestive problems when eating grains, legumes, dairy or anything else, or if certain foods trigger cravings or binges. But, outside symptoms or known diseases, I see no benefit from it as there is no evidence that restricting these things in a normal healthy person provides health benefits, either immediate or preventative. This was the point I was trying to make.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    While the Paleo diet is certainly more healthful than the Standard Amercian Diet (SAD), I do not recommend it. I highly recommend "Eat to Live" for the most dramatic weight loss and healthiest diet.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Question for those doing Paleo: Why do most Paleo followers choose butter or coconut oil over olive oil?
  • ipag
    Options
    Question for those doing Paleo: Why do most Paleo followers choose butter or coconut oil over olive oil?

I hate coconut so I use olive oil. I've read everything from coconut is a better cooking fat because of its high smoke point, coconut oil is a medium chain fatty acid so it has anti microbial properties and that's better for your gut and that lauric acid (the main fatty acid in coconut oil) is better than oleic acid (the main fatty acid in olive oil).

I don't know truthfully, nor do I care. Coconut tastes like sick.

Butter is not paleo but primal.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

I don't follow a Paleo diet but I choose butter and coconut oil over olive oil when cooking is because of the higher smoking point. The reason I eat butter and coconut oil at all is for the healthful saturated fats.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I hate coconut so I use olive oil. I've read everything from coconut is a better cooking fat because of its high smoke point, coconut oil is a medium chain fatty acid so it has anti microbial properties and that's better for your gut and that lauric acid (the main fatty acid in coconut oil) is better than oleic acid (the main fatty acid in olive oil).

Oh yeah. Butter, dairy. Duh!!

Thanks for the answer.
  • PhilyPhresh
    Options

Clarified butter is considered Paleo because all of the milk solids have been removed.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Personally I choose to use all 3 of those for cooking for different reasons and flavors. Personally I don't think that you can go wrong with butter in most cases, but sweet potato chunks fried in a pan in coconut oil are great.

I get most of my calories from fat these days, and my blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar etc are all stellar.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Olive oil is a salad oil, not a cooking oil. Most Paleo followers use both, just do not cook with olive oil.

In the Paleo community I am part of, many people use GRASS FED butter made from raw dairy.

The rule with Dairy in the Paleo / Primal community is that you can consume it as long as it does not cause you issues showing signs of intolerance, such as lactose intolerance, sinus / allergy type symptoms, etc.

Raw butter and raw cheddar cheese made by the local Mennonites or Amish is the most awesome tasting stuff in the world.
  • cherryacid
    Options
    A friend of mine has been following a Paleo lifestyle for almost a year now and has lost 48 pounds. She isnt strict and will very occasionally eat what she likes but she really loves it and doesnt feel like she is dieting. She is chef though so always seems to make some lovely sounding dishes.
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    1st - There are carbs in the fruit, veggies and nuts you're allowed to eat.

Everyone is different. Personally I find I fair a lot better on diets of the low carb nature. NOT because I'm trying to lose a lot of weight fast. I just don't get the blood sugar highs and lows with a low carb diet that you do with regular diets.

I also love meat and nuts. My skin cleared up considerably on a paleo-esque diet.(Primal blue print)
    On Primal you CAN have dairy but it has to be WHOLE milk and cream.

The key is being creative and being willing to cook with natural ingredients. Sticking to the outside of the grocery store helps.
  • ipag
    Options

Clarified butter is considered Paleo because all of the milk solids have been removed.

I stand corrected!

That's the cool thing about Paleo it's so flexible that it fits to everyone's needs and wants. The only thing that's really restricted are grains and legumes. As long as it is whole, unprocessed and if it was an animal, taken care of properly,(ie grass fed, pasture raised etc), and doesn't give you a bad reaction, then it's good to go. I keep pointing back to vegetarian paleo, as proof this isn't a low carb, all out bacon fest but I guess some people can't grasp that.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Join in and you too can be better at eating than those who are non-paleo.
  • PhilyPhresh
    Options
    Join in and you too can be better at eating than those who are non-paleo.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • bcattoes
    Options
    That's the cool thing about Paleo it's so flexible that it fits to everyone's needs and wants. The only thing that's really restricted are grains and legumes. As long as it is whole, unprocessed and if it was an animal, taken care of properly,(ie grass fed, pasture raised etc), and doesn't give you a bad reaction, then it's good to go. I keep pointing back to vegetarian paleo, as proof this isn't a low carb, all out bacon fest but I guess some people can't grasp that.

Those first two sentences are oxymoronic for me. I need and want legumes. I eat them just about every day. And what is processed or not whole about a legume? Some can be eaten with right off the vine, and for others I don't see how shucking off the pods is less processing than skinning and deboning meat.