What is the fire that keeps you going?

ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
To the people who consider themselves succeeding...

What kept/keeps you going when most usually have fallen away, quit and given up? What kept you pushing foward when the scale didnt budge, when you were totally off track and felt like an bottomless garbage can, when your world was falling apart and weight loss didnt seem that important, when you just didnt feel like doing it, when your body was still aching, or when you had those negative little voices in your mind saying what does it matter give up? What is keeping that little ember burning during the long haul, the actual years, and the life time commitment?

Replies

• StormyGal8
    StormyGal8 Posts: 184 Member
    For me, it's that I simply REFUSE to be beaten by fat. I refuse to let the temptations and excuses win. *I* am the master of my body, *I* will dictate how heavy or light I am, or how strong or weak I am. Those are all up to me and only me!
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Two things, I think. The fact that since I changed my diet, I feel SO much better. And the fact that I am 41 years old, and I know if I did not make changes, my health would have probably started to fall apart before too long. I am still young enough to want to enjoy life, and I was killing myself slowly with my fork. No more.
  • There are just TOO many things that I want so badly that I can't give up. I love traveling and I want to fit comfortably in an airplane seat! The same goes for roller coaster seats. I am a very outgoing and outdoorsy person. I want to hike and run and climb and bungee jump, skydive, and zipline and a million other things. My personality is made for all of this stuff but currently, my body and my weight is not. The weight and the inches are keeping me from being who I really am and I can't pretend to be the quiet, low key person anymore. I WILL run a half marathon next year in Houston and I WILL climb the Manitou Incline in Colorado and next time I go to Belize I WILL zipline through the jungle instead of just sticking to the cave tubing. When I feel strong, athletic, outgoing and adventurous, it is the best high in the world. Yes, I want good health and to be able to wear cuter outfits but nothing beats this for me. That's why I will never give up. Just thinking about it excites me!
  • hillbillyannie
    hillbillyannie Posts: 139 Member
    For the first time since I was very young, I feel in control and I'm happy when I look in the mirror. I am not going back. Yes it's a daily struggle sometimes to not but I am going to win. I have given away all of my clothes that are more than one size bigger than I am right now so I don't have a choice, do I? I am in the process of regrouping and getting ready to push toward losing the last 25 pounds. I know I will have to buy more clothes but, yeah, I'm ready. And besides my mother who wears a 12-14 is going through her closet and giving me all of her large size clothes, well at least some of them. I told her I bet she never thought I would be wearing her sizes. I weighed what she weighs now when I was 12, 140 pounds, and was already 5 inches taller than her. She's 5'1" and I'm 5'7".
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    For me it's a feeling of totally being in control of what I do, and fear of wls. I highly respect those who have the surgery..they are far braver than I!
  • ThatDarnZach
    ThatDarnZach Posts: 52 Member
    I realized one of the motivations I have when I was flying from Chicago to Los Angeles yesterday. I want to be one of the people who you hope sits next to you on the plane rather than one that you pray passes by and sits next to someone else. It's a fine line but, to me, it's such a strong implication of so many different things that I aspire to be.
  • Jimmytreatingtons
    Jimmytreatingtons Posts: 128 Member
    Just keep plugging away, if you have a bad day today, make sure you have a good one tomorrow.

If you want it you can get it.

I have had a few problems on the way, a few things have put me down but I find the focus to do it and crack on with it!
  • MaryRegs
    MaryRegs Posts: 272 Member
    Feeling like I have the CONTROL...not the food controlling me. I sure wish I would have "discovered" this power many years ago, but it is never too late-onwards!
  • chinadoll725
    chinadoll725 Posts: 36 Member
    Um, taking all of my clothes off in front of the mirror....and if thats not motivation enough, jump up and down a couple of times...naked...in front of the mirror...
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    I always, always think of my before and pic (that's my avatar). The before pic is just not someone that I want to be or am ever going to be again.
  • LarsyRagnhild
    LarsyRagnhild Posts: 29 Member
    I think motivation can be fickle. I try not to rely on something to keep the fire burning, but rather just know that this is what I'm doing now. Don't let yourself question what you're doing, don't listening to any excuses your mind comes up with (and it will come up with many). Go fiercely in the direction of your goals. As Nike has said said "Just Do It".
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    When the man who raised me committed suicide I was 6 months into my lifestyle change. He was so proud of me and I was finally doing the hard work needed to lose the weight. I felt lost, hopeless and I stopped for a moment. I had to handle cleaning up the mess he left behind (literally) and getting the funeral set up. I had no energy to go walk, cook or function. I started smoking again and drinking liquor on the stairwell at night. My roommate walked out about a week after and said "what the hell are you doing? This isn't solving anything Sarah" and I screamed. I lost it. I had kept it together for everyone, I hadn't even cried until that moment and she cracked my case. She sat next to me and just held me while I mourned the loss of my biggest support net. I realized he couldn't handle this life but I can. I gave the cigarettes to my roommate and went for a walk to clear my head and it worked. It was a relief to get back in tune with my body and it reminded me why I was doing this. I wanted to live and I couldn't letyself waste anymore time delaying my happiness. It wasn't all smooth sailing and I had 2 back injuries the following year but by that point I was able to modify my diet and still lose weight without working out. I had to "give up" on intense training but I knew that if I worked hard and consistently I could get back to walking and pilates eventually. There will be times when there really is no point in working so hard for a few nbers on a scale but once you feel the changes on the inside I think you start to change the way you view the outside. It went from trying to be the smallest to wanting to be the healthiest. Haven't been sick in a couple years and my bloodwork is beautiful. I will take health over a smaller weight any day. Don't give up because there really won't be a finishing or stopping point. You will need to maintain and that is no small feat. It may seem less overwhelming if you make small steady changes that snowball into a weight dropping, health machine ;)
  • cassiee1234
    cassiee1234 Posts: 14 Member
    The thought of how much happier i'll be when I loose weight. I feel like I can be more myself when im thinner! Let my confidence over flow! I also keep reminding myself that I WILL be thin enough to pull off a bikini for the first year ever this summer! (about 4 months away for me) I look at the bikini's on Victoria's Secret and pick out the ones that im going to buy and imagine myself wearing them and being proud :) It's a little supperficial, but it's what keeps me going!
  • LuisZav
    LuisZav Posts: 197
    The results is what keeps me going. As my body gets lean, and the inches come off. Those results are addicting, and I want more.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    First, it was type two diabetes--done it, gone. Then high blood-pressure--done it, gone. Last winter, two people I loved died of cancer--I don't want cancer, that's a tough one. Over-all answer, my health is too important to me, I value it immensely. If you cannot respect your body and keep it healthy, how can you say you respect anyone else?
  • Chipmunk222
    Chipmunk222 Posts: 240 Member
    Because every woman in my family is seriously overweight, and I never have been until now... I walk into a room with them and they kind of smirk and say "Ahhhh you've finally put on a few pounds, knew it would catch up with you sooner or later"
    Ummm, I don't think so, don't get used to it, cause it aint staying long.
  • JulieDerda
    JulieDerda Posts: 163
    i am almost to my goal.. well 30 more lbs.. and I want to reach gosh darn it! I want to be not just skinny but as fit as can possibly be. I also love the way i feel after I work out. Theres nothing like it. So much fun.. OMG I cant believe I cant believe I keep saying that. That exercising IS FUN!!! its actually my life.. my obsession now. being healthy :drinker:
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    There are several things.
    My dad died at age 55 from a heart attack. He never did try to take care of his health, and never felt well enough to enjoy his life. When I am 55, I want to feel good enough to dance and hike a mountain trail with my hubby, to crawl around on the floor with my grandchildren and keep up with them at the zoo.
    And I have other goals that I am working toward besides just weight. Right now, it's a healthy pregnancy and a smooth delivery (eating right and exercising helps that immensely!) I had just gotten into a size 6 for the first time in YEARS right before I got pregnant, and it felt great (was at a12-14). I want to get back there as soon as possible. I really want to reach the next rank (martial arts) in the next year. I want to go to instructors clinics and be ready for more when the guys are collapsed in sweaty heaps. I want to be able to do 100 consecutive pushups.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    I believe that my dietary and exercise framework is both sustainable and based in science.

It's not transitory, it's on-going and there is no feeling of deprivation so 'keeping going' isn't a issue.

There is no goal, I end up in whatever physical shape I end up in, it's just living.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    I like picking up heavy *kitten*.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!