How much weight do you put on in a 2-week vacation?

Options
Hi everyone,

Just wondering how much weight you put on in a 2-week vacation. I'm off to Florida soon for a fortnight and will indulge a bit without going overboard. I won't be sticking to my strict 1,200 calorie diet then! So how much have you put on in a fortnight vacation?

Replies

• actresskat
    actresskat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • FutureSkinnyMama03
    FutureSkinnyMama03 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've not ever went on a 2 week vacation but when I go on a week vacation and do not watch what I eat, I can gain between 2-6 lbs too easily (this is before I started MYP here and trying to be careful). I would recommend being really careful still even if you don't count calories. Just try your best to make wise choices that way you don't have to come back from vacation and stress about the new weight you need to lose. :) Have fun on vacation!
  • brentb71
    brentb71 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I put on 10 for a week and 1/2 vacation to Disneyworld. Would've been much more if not for all the walking.
    It came off pretty quickly once back on a routine.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I think it depends what you end up doing.. I had a week off and I put on 3 lbs, but when I go to Vegas for 3 days I can put on 8 -- probably becuase I drink like a fool HAHA!!!!

But in most cases I get the weight back off in a few days to a week, so I say just go enjoy yourself and get right back on the wagon once you return.

ETA - the weight you put on isn't really fat, it's probably water weight.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    3-4 lbs a week if I'm eating unconstrained and not exercising much. Like previous poster though it comes off pretty fast when back to a routine.
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I tend to not gain at all when I go on vacations because I am too busy enjoying everything to eat like crap and when I do get hungry I am wanting something protein heavy which is never a bad thing. I think a pound or two gain would be pretty typical up to 5lbs with water rentention... you should totally be fine.
  • mfoutch86
    Options
    Why not just plan on eatting healthy and not gaining anything? I think that is part of making health and fitness a lifestyle rather than a phase or diet....
  • hhichristina
    hhichristina Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I recently put on 3lbs over 13 days on vacation and lost it the first week we were back.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I put on 5 lbs in one week when I went to FLA and that was exercising at You Fit (a work out gym all over Fla). and trying to do my best at good choices.It came off pretty fast after I got home. On another trip I gained 12 lbs in 6 days with minimal exercise and a few binge meals.I gain very fast if I eat salty food, sometimes 2-3 lbs with just one meal.
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    Did three weeks in Australia, but we walked so much every day that we didn't gain anything, despite eating almost everything. The key for me is to keep active. I did a week in FLA last winter, didn't walk as much, and gained a pound.

Keep it moving and you will burn off the extras that you enjoy!
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I love vacations, I always lose weight on them. I need more vacations.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I generally lose weight on vacation because I am active, sight seeing, etc. I just make it a point that even if we have a "special meal" to eat healthy, so I don't miss out on enjoying the vacation. My husband and I even lose weight on a cruise with two simple rules - no elevators once we set sail and no bread/pasta/potatos/rice after 6 pm ship time. It works!
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Just got back from a 6 day vacation to the Oregon Coast. I exercised 4 of those six days, and I still put on 4 pounds. I ate and drank waaaay too much. But I knew I would, and I made a commitment to get RIGHT back on track when I got home, and I'm already down 2. I'm guessing about 2 pounds was water weight, and two were real fat. Back on track until Thanksgiving. :wink:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I haven't been on vacation in ages, but when I took a full month off from logging and exercise in January when I had a stress fracture, I did so with the expectation that I would gain about a pound a week. I was ok with that, because I knew it would come off when I was able to exercise again. Spend the entire month pretty much eating what I wanted, and playing video games.

I gained one pound. :laugh:

It depends on what your eating habits, unchecked, are like, and how active you'll be on vacation.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I barely gain any weight on vacation because I continue to exercise (I pack my running shoes...great way to sightsee) and I tend to eat a lot of seafood. Especially in Florida where fresh seafood is plentiful.
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I took a VERY indulgent week off (including rounds of ice cream cake, lots of heavy restaurant food, etc.), with minimal exercise, and I gained 3-4 pounds.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I love vacations, I always lose weight on them. I need more vacations.

Me too, I am busy and active, not stressed. This puts me in a good mood and keeps me focused on eating Right and LIGHT!
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've put on 4lbs in a week so double that!!
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    What's a two week vacation?
  • babersbh
    babersbh Posts: 32
    Options
    Just recently came off a 2 week vacation which included mostly camping food. I gained 10 pounds...OUCH! :(