How much weight do you put on in a 2-week vacation?

Options

Replies

• jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    when I went to Domincan, all inclusive, drinks and food buffets....I indulged, pastries , alcohol, but I never had seconds.....I only gained a pound!!! I was shocked!!....I think the difference was we never late night snacked, after supper we never had the urge, also we walked a lot for exercise , and drank a lot of water.
  • NicoleMarie0409
    Options
    When I take 2 week vacations, the scale shows a 3 pound gain. Then I allow myself 2 weeks to get back to my before vacation weight on the scale. Enjoy it! Usually you are more active doing things while on vacay anyways :)
  • suzywuzy90
    suzywuzy90 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When I go on vacation, I always loose weight. My weight loss/gain is connected to my anxiety levels. Thus, while on vacation, I am happy and lose weight easily without even trying.

My mother looses weight easily while on vacation too, because while on vacation she can't snack or graze like she can at home. She and I are both looking foward to our cruise this fall so that we can shed some more pounds. She and I lost weight during last month's family vacation to see family.

My father gains a lot and easily [3 pounds in less than a week on our family vacation last month]. Will be interesting to see how much he gains during our 10 days cruise this fall.
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    WeCallThemDayWalkers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I went on a 1.5 week vacation/work trip. Got some workouts in and was pretty active. Didn't count calories, but also tried not to eat like a fool. Drank too much wine maybe! Gained 8lbs in as many days!!
    Got right back on track with exercise and portion control. Managed to get rid of almost 3 of those lbs in first few days back. Salt/water I guess.

NET DAMAGE = about 5 lbs in a little over a week. It's been 2 weeks since I got back and I haven't been able to lose a single lb in those 2 wks.

I am kicking my own @$$!! Travel just kills my efforts every time :(

I also wonder why I feel starving while on vacation every day while apparently eating more than double my calorie allotment (how else to account for 5lbs of new fat??) while I can eat a restricted calorie diet when I'm home... Don't get it.
  • Katetmay
    Katetmay Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Got back a few weeks ago from a two week vacation and I had put on 5lbs, even with walkign everywhere. It was not a surprise I put on that much as I did not eat balance healthy meals and frequently had dessert. It was a blast but it is hard getting back into a routine once you get home, I just wanted junk.
  • toomuchsweetness
    toomuchsweetness Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I put on like 5 or 6 and have struggled ever since to get back on track... I so wish I wouldnt have stopped...
  • toomuchsweetness
    Options
    Got back a few weeks ago from a two week vacation and I had put on 5lbs, even with walkign everywhere. It was not a surprise I put on that much as I did not eat balance healthy meals and frequently had dessert. It was a blast but it is hard getting back into a routine once you get home, I just wanted junk.

completely agree
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    Options
    Same here!! It's like it just ruins your control. I also felt sluggish and really hated my first 2-3 workouts after getting back. Really tough to get back in the swing of things!!
  • DallasEl
    DallasEl Posts: 54
    Options
    Heading to NOLA for a week long holiday this October. Gonna eat pretty much whatever I want. Even if I gain 10 pounds I know I can knock it off in no time. I lost 6 pounds on vacation last year. I ate pretty much what I wanted but walked hours and hours a day.
  • toomuchsweetness
    Options
    Same here!! It's like it just ruins your control. I also felt sluggish and really hated my first 2-3 workouts after getting back. Really tough to get back in the swing of things!!

I find it difficult to exercise.. I am quite upset with myself that I fell so easily back into the bad habits.. I find that for every good day I have, I have a bad one to match... no consistency
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    I gained 5 pounds in one week earlier this year when we were in California staying with friends.
  • Chelseatheturtle
    Chelseatheturtle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My family went on a two week +3 days vacation back in June, road tripping all the way to DC(main attraction) and back to Tejas. We tried to eat as healthy and cheaply as we could (Subway was our best friend). We didn't always eat great because of the options we had around us, but we were constantly walking around everywhere (especially DC(those museums are bigger than you'd think if you haven't been there)). Just remember - calories in : calories out. Two weeks later I had a Dr.s appointment and I had lost 4 pounds between the visits (about a month). Surprised and relieved. But in my opinion, if you've bee on a 1,200 cal/day plan, I would not go over 1,700 cal max. Just don't go over-board on the junk foods and drinks. Small 100 calories snacks and plenty of water is a must! Have fun!
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people will disagree, but I try to really be "good" on vacation because trying to lose 5 lbs when I get back is not fun. I just have bites and tastes of the yummy stuff while on vacation, but never really go overboard.
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    Options
    I know a lot of people will disagree, but I try to really be "good" on vacation because trying to lose 5 lbs when I get back is not fun. I just have bites and tastes of the yummy stuff while on vacation, but never really go overboard.

You're smart... I need to learn some control like that!! It's too easy to fall into an "F-it! Ima have a burger! And wine! And cheesecake! Well, maybe half a cheesecake! Spiltsies?!" attitude when on vacation.
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have been on two longer vacations both between 10 to 14 days, and may weekend get always since trying to get healthier.

Both times I have Los weight, the first was to LA and Disney area, and the second a road trip. My strategy is I try to as well as I can ,but more at maintenance calories. I have gotten rid of my out attitude of since it's vacation , can relax on the food front and o crazy.

However, what I have done is instead of deciding it was okay to ea like crap when ever I want while away, I decided to modify my thinking that I wll indulge and splurge when feel that it's really worth it, and miss out otherwise.

For breakfasts, I find it really to eat healthy, it lunch and dinner tha we are always out. My theory was if it was fast food places or places that didn't have anything that I would consider 'Special' or could get at home, I didn't indulge, adjust ate health. If was something really new, or special in terms o local cuisine, or a different preparation, I would try. If it was something special, then I would just enjoy it, and attempt to watch my portion.

As a total foodie, I LOVE food and different things. I find that less we are eating out at fancy restaurants where it's like art, and I may not ever have again, I can live with having something healthy. I also bring snacks and go to the grocery store witha cooler bag almost everyday.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I went on a 7 day vacation recently and went with the attitude that I would try as best I could, but I wasn't going to obsess over it and still try to enjoy myself and indulge a little here and there. Since there was a breakfast buffet everyday, I tried to choose the healthiest options - usually fruit if I could. For lunch and dinner, I did the best i could with the options that were available.. but we definitely ordered room service late at night a couple times, plus I was drinking a lot of sugary frozen drinks all week. When we got back, I was up about 4 to 5 pounds, but that came off within a week. I think a big help was all the walking that we did and I still tried to drink A LOT of water. Come that Monday, I got back on track immediately .. it actually felt good to be eating healthy again and having a routine and a plan every day.

You really need to go on the vacation with an attitude that you aren't going to gain anything, otherwise you will go too far off the wagon and it will be harder to get back on track when you get home.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I have been on two longer vacations both between 10 to 14 days, and may weekend get always since trying to get healthier.

Both times I have Los weight, the first was to LA and Disney area, and the second a road trip. My strategy is I try to as well as I can ,but more at maintenance calories. I have gotten rid of my out attitude of since it's vacation , can relax on the food front and o crazy.

However, what I have done is instead of deciding it was okay to ea like crap when ever I want while away, I decided to modify my thinking that I wll indulge and splurge when feel that it's really worth it, and miss out otherwise.

For breakfasts, I find it really to eat healthy, it lunch and dinner tha we are always out. My theory was if it was fast food places or places that didn't have anything that I would consider 'Special' or could get at home, I didn't indulge, adjust ate health. If was something really new, or special in terms o local cuisine, or a different preparation, I would try. If it was something special, then I would just enjoy it, and attempt to watch my portion.

As a total foodie, I LOVE food and different things. I find that less we are eating out at fancy restaurants where it's like art, and I may not ever have again, I can live with having something healthy. I also bring snacks and go to the grocery store witha cooler bag almost everyday.
    um, what?
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have been on two longer vacations both between 10 to 14 days, and many weekend get aways since trying to get healthier.

Both times I have lost weight, the first was to LA and Disney area, and the second a road trip. My strategy is I try to eat as well as I can, but set my target more at maintenance calories. I have gotten rid of my old attitude of since 'it's vacation , I can relax on the food front and go crazy.'

However, what I have done is instead of deciding it was okay to eat like crap when ever I went while away, and worry about it when I return. I decided to modify my thinking that I wll indulge and splurge when I feel that it's really worth it, or would feel like I missed out otherwise.

For breakfasts, I find it really easy to eat healthy as I am usually in the hotel or room which I have control, it is lunch and dinner that we are always out. My strategy is if it is a fast food place or a place that didn't have anything that I would consider 'Special' or could get at home, I didn't indulge, adjust ate healthy. If it was something really new, or special in terms of local cuisine, or a different preparation, I would try a little bit and share. If it was something really special, then I would just enjoy it, and attempt to watch my portions

As a total foodie, I LOVE food and different things. I find that unless we are eating out at fancy restaurants where it's like one of a kind art, and I may not ever have the chance to eat again, I can live with having something healthy. I also bring snacks and go to the grocery store witha cooler bag almost everyday.
    um, what?

Sorry, I was typing on my Ipad, and it auto corrects and doesn't register my keystrokes all the time. I corrected my quoted version to you. I really am articulate when I am not rushing on my Ipad. Hopefully, with my corrections, it's a little more understandable. :embarassed:
  • shaxnax
    shaxnax Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a two week vacation from Seattle. We were averaging walking 7 miles a day and I was EASILY eating 2500 calories a day while we were there. I ended up "gaining" one pound, but the second day home I was down two so I'm pretty sure it was all water retention and I didn't actually gain anything. I was happy to have maintained. I ate a healthy breakfast every day, and a semi healthy lunch and allowed myself to try something new and deliciously bad for you almost every night, and I don't regret a moment of it.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I went to Mexico last week for 7 days. I ate whatever I wanted but I walked a lot. When I came home I thought I'd be happy if I had only gained a pound. But low and behold it seems I LOST like 2-3 pounds, not kidding, and I was actually stuck at a plateau for a long time. Idk what it was, because I would take weeks off at home and eat whatever I wanted and still couldnt get past my plateau. Maybe I burned a lot more calories than I thought? Well anyway I guess you never know.