Birth Control/Weight Gain

Options
13»

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my weight while taking Levlen. (monophasic bc pills)

I have maintained over the last year, and I have had an Implanon (inserted into my arm) for the last 6 mos or so.

bc can make you gain but only if you are eating at a surplus. If you maintain a deficit, you cannot gain weight.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Its not about light periods. Its being regular and knowing when you ovulate so you can nix the birth control. If your cycle is all over the place doesn't arrived when expected most of the time then wouldn't recommend no birth control.

NFP/FAM isn't the same as "no" birth control... although most mainstream physicians would disagree with that. It's a system of learning your body's fertility signals, and keeping a daily journal so you know when you are likely to conceive. And it can be used regardless of how your cycle tends to run, by just using the variation that works best for your body and your lifestyle. Right now I just rely more heavily on daily temperature charting than I used to - but for a long time I barely needed to bother with recording temps at all. It's not really something you can do without hubby's agreement, though, or if you have a more... spontaneous... intimate life... lol... as it requires more communication than drugs, and does mean allowing for a bit of planning.

I was on Ortho Tricyclen for five years, before deciding I wasn't okay with taking it any longer due to its methods and possible health risks. But no, during that time I didn't gain or lose anything, other than the "newlywed ten"...
  • redsoxy
    redsoxy Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I put on 15lbs with Mirena in the 3 months following getting it put in. I eat 1200 cals a day and work out burning between 500 to 1000 calories. There is NO other explanation for the gain other than the Mirena. I also have had a long lasting and annoying rash and comes and goes all over my body - also due to the Mirena. Going to be getting the bugger removed!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Obviously, you are also one of those lucky people who have light, easy periods.

Nope. Although they did improve after I had kids. And not regular, either, lately... cycles from 23 days up to 35+. It still works.

Its not about light periods. Its being regular and knowing when you ovulate so you can nix the birth control. If your cycle is all over the place doesn't arrived when expected most of the time then wouldn't recommend no birth control.

I understand that it's about being regular. However, many of us use our birth control for reasons other than preventing pregnancy.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my weight while taking Levlen. (monophasic bc pills)

I have maintained over the last year, and I have had an Implanon (inserted into my arm) for the last 6 mos or so.

bc can make you gain but only if you are eating at a surplus. If you maintain a deficit, you cannot gain weight.

Explain that to my body then, because it seems to not be listening to this rule.

I tried -- just to see what would happen -- eating 500 calories a day for two weeks. I did not lose an ounce. I did not eat more and I did not decrease my exercise when I got Mirena, but I gained 20 pounds that won't budge, anyway.

Nothing annoys me more than people insisting that BC doesn't ever cause weight gain as long as you're eating right. It just isn't true. It's incredibly frustrating for someone to tell me that what is happening to me isn't actually happening, like I'm insane or something.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Obviously, you are also one of those lucky people who have light, easy periods.

Nope. Although they did improve after I had kids. And not regular, either, lately... cycles from 23 days up to 35+. It still works.

I understand that it's about being regular. However, many of us use our birth control for reasons other than preventing pregnancy.

That would be me.

I'm not sexually active at all.. so pregnancy isn't an issue.

What is an issue is the fact that my periods are debilitating and I'd actually like to be able to do what I want during that time, instead of being a slave to the pain.

Birth control fixed a lot more then the pregnancy issue for me.. and I do believe that it affects everyone differently, so you can't tell someone oh just ditch the birth control without knowing why they are taking it.
  • skrentz
    skrentz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    this totally!! Me too And to top it all off besides the shiney new 20lbs. I feel a bit crazy some days. Thank you Mirena...Though I havent had a TOM in 5 years, so eh?......still rather be 20 lbs thinner.