UGH!!!!!! Need advice

Options
2»

Replies

• ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I do not believe his addicted to the pills, he only takes them when working the night shift. To be honest this is a problem that has been going on for a while. We have talked about it! Things got real good then went back downhill! I know we all have ruts, but I just feel unwanted. I know he's not cheating, so that's not the problem.
    A person doesn't have to be physically addicted for the behavior to be a red flag. People don't become addicts overnight; it's a gradual process that creeps up on you. If it were obvious, no one would ever do it. The things that stick out to me are that he is taking prescription painkillers that are prescribed to someone else and that it doesn't bother him that you will not have them if you need them in the future. That's at least worth a serious closer look.

The other thing about it is that these behaviors don't exist in a vacuum. People do them for a reason, and these are often reasons that contribute to loss of interest in sex. Stress, problems in life, mood issues, mental issues, or a variety of other factors can really mess with someone's enjoyment of life and relationships.

Of course, I can't say for sure what's wrong. But based on what you've said here, I think it deserves some serious attention and isn't just a case of a dry spell. If something's wrong, you'll help him. And if nothing is actually wrong, perhaps the extra attention will jumpstart something for you.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    I think you're in denial about the pain pills.

As to the topic at hand: Communication: you have to talk to him and tell him how you feel but don't nag, whine or blame him. Also ask him if there's something going on with him that's causing his lack of interest in sex. I know most men don't want to talk about their feelings but he may surprise you.
  • TxAngel79
    TxAngel79 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I do not believe his addicted to the pills, he only takes them when working the night shift. To be honest this is a problem that has been going on for a while. We have talked about it! Things got real good then went back downhill! I know we all have ruts, but I just feel unwanted. I know he's not cheating, so that's not the problem.
    A person doesn't have to be physically addicted for the behavior to be a red flag. People don't become addicts overnight; it's a gradual process that creeps up on you. If it were obvious, no one would ever do it. The things that stick out to me are that he is taking prescription painkillers that are prescribed to someone else and that it doesn't bother him that you will not have them if you need them in the future. That's at least worth a serious closer look.

The other thing about it is that these behaviors don't exist in a vacuum. People do them for a reason, and these are often reasons that contribute to loss of interest in sex. Stress, problems in life, mood issues, mental issues, or a variety of other factors can really mess with someone's enjoyment of life and relationships.

Of course, I can't say for sure what's wrong. But based on what you've said here, I think it deserves some serious attention and isn't just a case of a dry spell. If something's wrong, you'll help him. And if nothing is actually wrong, perhaps the extra attention will jumpstart something for you.

Thanks!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    He's taking your medication that you actually need, to give himself "energy". He values his high more than your well-being.
  • Glassjaw01
    Options
    As an ex user, pain medication will kill a sex drive almost all of the time.

Also, it is very easy to hide a pain pill addiction. You may not know it, but he can be heavily addicted to this things. It is serious.

And to those saying to drink alcohol with them......yeah...not a good idea. Its not even funny to joke about.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    The painkiller abuse is serious. Like, SERIOUS-serious. Forget the sex issue, work on the painkiller issue.
  • trm981
    trm981 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

This is an excellent post. Something is really wrong with the situation you described. Casual prescription pain medication use can escalate quickly. My younger brother took it occasionally. Soon it wasn't occasionally. It was every day. In increasingly large amounts. Until he died two years ago at the age of 23 from overdosing on it.
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    maybe he suffers from low Testosterone?
  • obrendao
    obrendao Posts: 318
    Options
    Anyone who uses painkillers for anything aside from their intended use is at the very least misusing them. And as with above poster, painkillers plus alcohol = severely hepatotoxic. Most painkillers are opioids combined with acetaminophen, and its the latter which is toxic to the liver.

Definitely address the painkiller issue first, they are not to be used this way. It could be he is using them to cope with stress of nightshift work or other factors, which is a bad idea. The stress, the use of painkillers, all of it may seem benign right now but it has potential to snowball.