Walmart Selling GE corn---unmarked

Options

Replies

• happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Canola seeds???? There is no such thing. Canola oil is made from Rape seeds. When this was given to sheep it caused scraple! Canola oil is not good for you at all. It means Canadian oil company. Check it out on line.

It does NOT mean Canadian Oil company, stop believing all the crap online. The name "canola" was derived from "Canadian oil, low acid" in 1978.

And the craptastic rumor that Canola is bad for you has been debunked: http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/canola.asp

Maybe you should check it out online :)
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Grow a garden.

Not everyone has the space, or in my case the sun. We are in a back corner with massive trees above us. I've tried many times but can't get anything to grow. So sad!
  • debrawallin
    debrawallin Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Now they are making apples that don't turn brown. I wonder what that will do for the digestion.

http://www.fastcoexist.com/1680290/meet-the-company-that-wants-to-make-your-fruit-perfect-and-genetically-engineered
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Canola seeds???? There is no such thing. Canola oil is made from Rape seeds. When this was given to sheep it caused scraple! Canola oil is not good for you at all. It means Canadian oil company. Check it out on line.

It does NOT mean Canadian Oil company, stop believing all the crap online. The name "canola" was derived from "Canadian oil, low acid" in 1978.

And the craptastic rumor that Canola is bad for you has been debunked: http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/canola.asp

Maybe you should check it out online :)

Sorry, but PUFAs are not the health food they are claimed to be.

http://www.naturalnews.com/035015_PUFAs_health_fatty_acids.html
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    You'd have to go back much further than 40 years. Not that many people grew their own food 40 years ago and even fewer grew all their produce. Processed and pre-prepared food was already available and popular in the 70's, though fast food was not yet as widespread as now. We had processed white flour, sugar, TV dinners, frozen pizza, Hamburger Helper, boxed sugary cereals, soda, Kool-Aid, etc.

I know somethings have changed relatively quickly. Like when I was growing up bread grew mold if you didn't eat it fast enough, ground meat turned brown and skim milk had a blue tinge. I don't know if any of these changes are harmful or not but we're not eating the same food we were in the 70's, processed or not, that's for sure.
  • chattah
    chattah Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Here is a good podcast transcript (audio available as well) from Brian Dunning where he talks about GM foods. While I agree they probably should be marked with a label GM foods are not the horrible bringers of doom that a lot of people speak of.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4112

Also I would take the article on the Institute of Science in Society's website with a grain or two of salt. I found articles on their site also where they claim that homeopathy works and is a valid medical treatment.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

The majority of large corn and soybean farmers are not growing for the general public. Their level of production is to supply corporations. That is where the money is.

um ... ok. you know that those corporations, then, sell that food to the public for consumption/use, right? do you just want every farmer to set up a road-side stand and skip the middle man?
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Here is a good podcast transcript (audio available as well) from Brian Dunning where he talks about GM foods. While I agree they probably should be marked with a label GM foods are not the horrible bringers of doom that a lot of people speak of.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4112

Also I would take the article on the Institute of Science in Society's website with a grain or two of salt. I found articles on their site also where they claim that homeopathy works and is a valid medical treatment.

Sanity. I agree with labeling, but GM sure isn't the madness we are told it is. I remember when BT was the "organic" way to prevent pests in agriculture. Now it's going to make our stomachs explode.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Funny, right after reading the newer posts on this thread, I saw there's a new TV show on now called, Time Machine Chefs. The premise is that "Four accomplished chefs compete for the title of Greatest Chef in History by using only the ingredients, utensils and heat sources available during a previous time period." (If you're in the U.S., it's on ABC.)

Edited to add:
    This first show is "set" in 1416 A.D. Ming Dynasty. Do you think they'll have any GMO food? ;-)
    Second half of the show is in 1532 A.D. Tudor England (King Henry VIII).
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options

The majority of large corn and soybean farmers are not growing for the general public. Their level of production is to supply corporations. That is where the money is.

um ... ok. you know that those corporations, then, sell that food to the public for consumption/use, right? do you just want every farmer to set up a road-side stand and skip the middle man?

um...yes. and so does everyone else. I thought it was common knowledge.
  • laulyn
    laulyn Posts: 70
    Options

um...yes. and so does everyone else. I thought it was common knowledge.

Sweet! I will even cut out the stand and I deliver. How many bushels of wheat would you like?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Living in the Mid-west, working in Agricultural all my life does not make me an expert but we (farmers) use less chemicals then the past. There is far less soil depletion or soil stripping.

The people that are really fooling you are the organic people. Some use more fuel. They are all not totally honest with consumers. Also some use practices that are so out dated.

How can we continue to feed a growing population without the use of technology? We grow more corn and soybeans on LESS land with LESS chemicals then in the past. Farmers have been recycling before recycling was the it thing.

As a person in ag, I feel that farmers are more aware of what they are doing to their land. Yes, there are some very bad people out there.

Do you stop and think if farmers did not produce at the level we are: what would you eat? We are in a drought this year and things are going to change in the World in the next year.

Prior to corporate takeover, our society ate rather well by growing their own crops or simply selling locally. The only people I see suffering from a downsize of corporate agriculture are those who choose choose not to fend for themselves (for lack of a better phrase).

I feel if money didn't rule the agricultural soul, then this country to go back to eating as healthy as they were 40 years ago.

You'd have to go back much further than 40 years. Not that many people grew their own food 40 years ago and even fewer grew all their produce. Processed and pre-prepared food was already available and popular in the 70's, though fast food was not yet as widespread as now. We had processed white flour, sugar, TV dinners, frozen pizza, Hamburger Helper, boxed sugary cereals, soda, Kool-Aid, etc.

Not everyone in the 70;s and 80's grew up eating that crap. I grew up on farm raised meats and eggs, garden fresh fruit and vegetables, home made bread and desserts when we got a treat.

Getting a coke in a glass bottle was a rare treat and the only fast food I remember eating was Taco Bell.

I grew up in an old-fashioned, rural Midwestern town in Southern Illinois.
  • Family_Man
    Options
    Is it going to matter on Dec. 21 2012?

Sorry....lol.:wink:
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    pooh i thought people all knew the 2 things to never buy at walmart: veggies and meat(unless frozen or canned)
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

Not if you're Mayan. The rest of us may still be around though.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options

...General Mills refuses to use this corn in their cereals, and I believe they are owned by the tobacco company. That tells me a lot if they are refusing to use it.

no general mills is not owned by bigg tobacco
  • Family_Man
    Options

Not if you're Mayan. The rest of us may still be around though.

Excellent point.lol
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I know somethings have changed relatively quickly. Like when I was growing up bread grew mold if you didn't eat it fast enough, ground meat turned brown and skim milk had a blue tinge. I don't know if any of these changes are harmful or not but we're not eating the same food we were in the 70's, processed or not, that's for sure.

Your store bought bread doesn't grow mold and your ground meat doesn't turn brown?!?!? :noway:

Where do you live/shop? The reason I rarely buy bread is that I can never eat the whole loaf before it molds. I don't remember a blue tinge for skim milk since no one I knew back then drank skim, so no thoughts on that.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Living in the Mid-west, working in Agricultural all my life does not make me an expert but we (farmers) use less chemicals then the past. There is far less soil depletion or soil stripping.

The people that are really fooling you are the organic people. Some use more fuel. They are all not totally honest with consumers. Also some use practices that are so out dated.

How can we continue to feed a growing population without the use of technology? We grow more corn and soybeans on LESS land with LESS chemicals then in the past. Farmers have been recycling before recycling was the it thing.

As a person in ag, I feel that farmers are more aware of what they are doing to their land. Yes, there are some very bad people out there.

Do you stop and think if farmers did not produce at the level we are: what would you eat? We are in a drought this year and things are going to change in the World in the next year.

Prior to corporate takeover, our society ate rather well by growing their own crops or simply selling locally. The only people I see suffering from a downsize of corporate agriculture are those who choose choose not to fend for themselves (for lack of a better phrase).

I feel if money didn't rule the agricultural soul, then this country to go back to eating as healthy as they were 40 years ago.

Not everyone in the 70;s and 80's grew up eating that crap. I grew up on farm raised meats and eggs, garden fresh fruit and vegetables, home made bread and desserts when we got a treat.

Getting a coke in a glass bottle was a rare treat and the only fast food I remember eating was Taco Bell.

I grew up in an old-fashioned, rural Midwestern town in Southern Illinois.

I doubt everyone of any generation ate the same things. That was hardly my point.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I just picked up some corn from Walmart last night, here I took a picture. Is this the stuff?

gmocorn.jpg&sa=X&ei=ej8uUIr2BM3DyQGNyYHwAw&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNG6rO4u70XfmOH-dzHG3WuBkVNDag