They are all long. :-(
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    some nights are longer than others
  • vampire_cakes
    vampire_cakes Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    yay im overnight worker! friend call me vampire :) ironically im training to be a phlebotomist! har har..so i work 10pm-630am add me i could use some more friends plz
  • klpruitt7
    klpruitt7 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm an evening shift worker! Blah! I work 4-12... I would say most of us on the night work are in public safety or nursing? Am I right?!

Telecommunications at a Hospital.

Same here - computers @ hospital
  • lisa28115
    Options
    check out the official nightshift thread
  • boomrain
    boomrain Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My last night on shift. Haven't been feeling well. Working nights and being sick really suck. So then why did I eat that cupcake?!? Ugh. Not looking forward to my weigh-in this week.
  • pinkprincess1952
    pinkprincess1952 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Ok so its going to be a very long night.... Very tired... No sleep, at work till 7am and I am patient sitting :(
  • MsTonyaRenee
    MsTonyaRenee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm a night owl too! I work swing shift so I go on nights 2 months at a time, then days. working a 3-2-2 Schedule. Can make for a confusing food schedule :)
  • judykay05
    judykay05 Posts: 34
    Options
    I am a truck driver and I drive midnight to 11 am 6 days a week for 6 weeks at a time, then I have 2 weeks off. I do have breakfast around 1:30 am, a snack around 6 am, and my lunch at 11:30 and another snack around 4. It gets very confusing sometimes. So my biggest problem is that I eat for energy to stay awake.

I have a pretty good sleep routine, but sometimes I just can't sleep and that's normally when I get into trouble.

I have pretty much thrown in the towel and given up, but I keep gaining and I can't handle it!
  • uhlu
    uhlu Posts: 3
    Options
    I work 12hours night shifts, 6pm-6am. I am a 911 dispatcher so it's high stress and I've gone a whole night without eating (not good!). I keep the same schedule when I'm off for the most part, unless I have appts or things I HAVE to go to during daywalker hours. It's incredibly hard to eat normal with this work schedule! I have been at it over a year and I still haven't grasped it well. The ONE thing that does help me is to eat a big meal before midnight, then only have snacks after that. It prevents the dreaded occurance of laying in bed after a LONG shift... tired out of your mind... and realizing, I'M HUNGRY!!!!!!!!!!
  • girlsonly04
    girlsonly04 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I dont work nights but I have crazy hours. I am a dayhome provider and a single mother of two. My hours can run me to working 12-14 hours a day there are months where I can get only 2 days off. I have been at this for 10 years now. It is the only way I could be with my children while they are young and not work away from home. It can though be hard to eat properly it has taken me hitting my forties to realize if I dont start being serious I could lose out on seeing my children getting past high school. I had tried every diet I could (some not healthy) But now I am on the right track and through myfitnesspal I am feeling ten times better and excited about this journey. Still have my challenging times but going to keep focusing on the positives.
  • lisa28115
    Options
    hey guys ...

check out the official nightshift thread to talk to other nightshifters
  • pinkprincess1952
    Options
    Fun and easy way to shred lbs... Dance for kinect... Its fun and easy... you get to listen to all types of your fave music and it also has sweat counter on it, so you can tell how many calories your burning :)
  • somanyrhoades
    somanyrhoades Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I work nights and let me just say it makes you a crazy person! Well at least it has me anyways. pretty sure that's why I gained 10 lbs over the past year or so without changing my diet or exercise routine. It's taken me some time to get a meal schedule down. I work 11p to 7a 5-6 days a week. here's what I do, but this may not work for you since you probably sleep 8 consecutive hours whereas I only sleep in 4 hour blocks due to my family life. I eat breakfast when I come home usually around 8 or 830, definitely nothing heavy otherwise I can't sleep... usually a small bowl of cereal or a scrambled egg or piece of toast with a little peanut butter on it. I have a snack when I wake up aroun 1 or 2. I usually have "lunch" around 4 or 5 pm, but I try to keep it closer to 4 because I lay down again at 730 pm and I don't sleep well on a full stomach. I work in a hospital and the cafeteria opens at 1 am so that's when I eat dinner. Lucky for me they only serve healthy food. No cheeseburgers, no fries, no garbage. They have fish almost every night and also have a few veggies to choose from. Even the vending maching only contain low-fat snacks like pretzels, granola and baked chips. They also care things like soy milk, greek yogurt and smoothies so it makes eating at night a little easier for me. Sometimes I have a snack around 5 am, like almonds or a piece of fruit, but I don't always do this, just depends on how satisfying my dinner was. 3 or 4 days a week I pack my lunch but I am used to eating at that time so that's when I eat.
  • somanyrhoades
    somanyrhoades Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I work night shift at the hospital- 3 12 hr shifts 7p-7a. I have the same struggle as most people. More so with excerising than eating. I goto bed at 830am try to wake up at 230pm to walk the dogs and 45 min of cardio. but some people dont understand sleeping 6 hours during the day is WAAYYY different than sleeping 6 hours at night. If they think it is, then they should try it for a week. So when I wake my energy is zilch and feel like a zombie walking the dogs. I havent had problems with dieitng bc i bring small snacks to work, i love the green giant instant veggie steamers. very filling. I cook a weeks worth of chicken breasts and bring the veggies- what a filling meal. also bring apples and penut butter, carrot sticks, celery, small yogurts.

THIS IS MY EXACT PROBLEM! I find it so hard to find the time/energy to exercise. i try to walk for at least 20 minutes consecutively while I'm at work and on my "official" break (I eat and chart at the same time). And then I'm so tired by the time I get home I go to bed for 4 hours. wake up at 1 or 2 to get my daughter off the bus and god knows she won't let me get in any real exercise (we do some together but she's 7 so she can't really keep up with a vigorous cardio work out). By the time we finish her home work, make dinner and get a bath it's time for me to go to bed again. It's so hard, especially the not having energy part. Daytime sleeping is NOT the same thing as night sleeping and never will be! Sigh. i want a day job!
  • lisa28115
    Options
    I work nights and I know exactly how you feel
  • EyeBite
    EyeBite Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean! I work 7p-7a at a hospital. It's frustrating to watch what I eat. It's like my days run into each other.
  • lisa28115
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/706012-official-nightshift-thread?page=15#posts-10406368

checkout the above thread

this is where the nightshifters hang out
  • pinkprincess1952
    Options
    I work nights and let me just say it makes you a crazy person! Well at least it has me anyways. pretty sure that's why I gained 10 lbs over the past year or so without changing my diet or exercise routine. It's taken me some time to get a meal schedule down. I work 11p to 7a 5-6 days a week. here's what I do, but this may not work for you since you probably sleep 8 consecutive hours whereas I only sleep in 4 hour blocks due to my family life. I eat breakfast when I come home usually around 8 or 830, definitely nothing heavy otherwise I can't sleep... usually a small bowl of cereal or a scrambled egg or piece of toast with a little peanut butter on it. I have a snack when I wake up aroun 1 or 2. I usually have "lunch" around 4 or 5 pm, but I try to keep it closer to 4 because I lay down again at 730 pm and I don't sleep well on a full stomach. I work in a hospital and the cafeteria opens at 1 am so that's when I eat dinner. Lucky for me they only serve healthy food. No cheeseburgers, no fries, no garbage. They have fish almost every night and also have a few veggies to choose from. Even the vending maching only contain low-fat snacks like pretzels, granola and baked chips. They also care things like soy milk, greek yogurt and smoothies so it makes eating at night a little easier for me. Sometimes I have a snack around 5 am, like almonds or a piece of fruit, but I don't always do this, just depends on how satisfying my dinner was. 3 or 4 days a week I pack my lunch but I am used to eating at that time so that's when I eat.

I eat like I am suppose too, and I gained 15lbs from working the night shift :(
  • frankiedb
    frankiedb Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Yikes!! I feel for you.. I don't work nights, but if you sanity you can count on me.