Cigarettes and Cardio?

Options

Replies

• ash1976
    ash1976 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I also smoked more because I could smoke anywhere and couldn't tell how long a normal cigarette would last.

I found this too.
  • mystikalbeanz
    mystikalbeanz Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I just quit smoking a month and a half ago and couldnt be happier! I have a very addictive personality so quitting wasnt easy at for me but i used the patches and they really did help! I just wouldnt wear them at night because they cause crazy dreams! I feel so much better since quitting and can exercise harder and longer without feeling like im going to pass out or my hearts going to explode. The only negative i have to say is the 7 pounds i gained from quitting and the insomnia that i had for 3 wks after i quit! I will say that i did do cardio when i smoked although when i tried doing the harder longer cardio i would have to stop because of my heart pounding and feeling like i was gonna blackout! You have to be ready to quit, really want it and when you are you will! So until then i would do as much exercise as you feel comfortable with. Just remember when you quit your bodys able to absorb more nutrients from the food you eat and food tastes sooo much better! I couldnt believe how good everything tasted once i quit! Hence the 7 pound weight gain haha! Good Luck!!
  • mystikalbeanz
    mystikalbeanz Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I quit on January 6th. Haven't had one since. I feel awesome. It took some doing to get to the point where I no longer was out of breath. But it's not a problem anymore. Make the decision. It's amazing how great you can feel, how much money you save, how much better your skin will be, how you can breathe and not cough, how much better your clothes, car and home smell, how great it is to eat a whole meal in a restaurant and not have to go out to smoke, how your life is not revolving around a cigarette. But that's just me. It's really a hard thing to do. Best of luck!

Congrats on quitting! I know it's tough--I've tried and failed a couple times. It's just a habit I'm really not ready to give up right now, though. It's one of the few things that relaxes me. I have a very high-stress, type A personality. Granted, there are healthier ways of coping, but this is mine for right now. Your story is inspirational, though. I hope one day I can be at the point you're at.

I just wanted to comment that i am a high stress person as well and always swore that smoking relaxed me only to find that it really didnt! It a stimulent so it actually makes you more hyper! Im so much more relaxed then i was when i smoked! I think its mainly because im not always worrying about when i was going to have my next smoke or have to goto the store to get more etc!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say, your here to look better and feel better.
    Well smoking is pretty sexy looking, so go with it.

Loot at this girl, she looks great!
    tumblr_l0g1piXcj71qzkhano1_500.jpg
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Yep and I don't do so before cardio. Ever. I wake up and work out IMMEJITLY! Therefore everything that I do after...I already got my workout on!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I quit for a while and my cardio leveled up 100+

provape.com <-- best e-cigs on the market. Worth the price.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    The difference in your performance and speed is amazing even after a couple of weeks off them
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I was a smoker years ago. Quit cause I was tired of the extra steps to combat the smell from my husband who HATED it! Even after not having one for years I still had the craving occasionally, but when I'd give in and bum one off family or friends, I'd hate everything about it, but would still get a craving later. Somehow during this weight loss journey the cravings kept getting worse. A few months back I bought a Mistic E-Cig. I figured that might be better than just buying a pack, but who knows, in time we'll probably learn they kill ya faster lol I know you didn't really ask for my story, but point is that I "smoke" that Mistic on a daily basis now and currently I'm doing the Insanity workout. I haven't researched a ton, so I'm not sure how much different that effects your lungs, but I'm sure someone on here will figure out a way to bash it lol
    I'm sure every smoker is aware that it's not good for you, so no point in even mentioning that, so I say if you're still able to do a workout without feeling like your chest is exploding, then I wouldn't worry about it so much until you really feel that you're ready to quit. It has to be something you really want or you'll just fail at quitting. Nobody likes a quitter, right?
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    im a smoker trying to quit. havent had a cig since monday afternoon. i do notice it being easier to breathe when i am playing racquetball if i dont smoke as much throughout the day. i also run better when i dont smoke. i have my doubts about making it through the weekend smoke free though lol
    dont doubt yourself! you are strong and can do this! you are giving up nothing and gaining everything! Good luck!
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I quit over a year ago ,... Definately feeling the benefits but I always ran and kick boxed when I smoked .
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 10 years. I smoked while being active and fit for all ten years, Including one full season of playing college soccer (not advisable), six rugby union seasons and one Aussie Rules football season. I did Tough Mudders, rebel races, warrior dashes, half marathons, 5K's, 10K's, Turkey Trots. I didn't *think* it affected me for any of that time.

Then, in February of this year I quit cold turkey. I was just ready, I guess. Since I quit I've realized exactly how much smoking was affecting me.

Since quitting smoking I have:

- shaved a full two minutes off my mile time
    - finally started losing the fat around my waist
    - finally finished a full two hour Aussie Rules training without needing my inhaler
    - finally gotten really solid sleep (when I smoked I woke up throughout the night. I thought I was just a poor sleeper, turns out it was the nicotine, who knew?!)
    - not woken up feeling totally crummy once after a night out despite amount of alcohol consumed
    - not wheezed going up the four flights of stairs going up to my fourth floor walk-up apartment (when I smoked, I thought it was weird that someone as "fit" as I was was still wheezing going up stairs)
    - found other, more productive ways to deal with stress (I'm also a high strung Type A personality)
    - made new connections with my fitness enthusiast friends because I no longer felt like I needed to hide my dirty little secret from them

The list goes on. Rather than ask for advice on how to continue smoking while working on your fitness tackle the underlying issue first. You need to quit, and yes, you can. It's a filthy nasty crutch of a habit that's impeding your growth, both fitness-wise and as a human being, every time you light up. You can do it girl! I believe in you. :flowerforyou:
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Yup! I smoked for 8 years and started doing regular cardio about a year ago... I never had much of a problem, but as others have mentioned, smoking soon before or after a workout isn't particularly helpful. I've been quit for about 6 weeks now, and I have to say the difference in my stamina is already just... spectacular.
  • wisegirl_k
    wisegirl_k Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I quit in June. My stamina has improved 100%. I used to have to hit an inhaler during/after cardio exercises, but not anymore.
    I've also taken up running, when that was a pipe dream in the past.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Congrats, Joe, on going since Monday without smoking. I tried to quit earlier this year and made it a week before I relapsed. Unfortunately it is my favorite pasttime.

I effing LOVE smoking. IT was so hard to actually quit because I enjoy doing it. That's a problem for sure. I don't smoke unless I'm out partying with the guys now or something but I always pay the price for it every time I do any cardio after. I noticed I have way more energy and stamina when I don't smoke.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Congrats, Joe, on going since Monday without smoking. I tried to quit earlier this year and made it a week before I relapsed. Unfortunately it is my favorite pasttime.

I effing LOVE smoking. IT was so hard to actually quit because I enjoy doing it. That's a problem for sure. I don't smoke unless I'm out partying with the guys now or something but I always pay the price for it every time I do any cardio after. I noticed I have way more energy and stamina when I don't smoke.

can I just switch to cigars or a pipe? Is it just the cigarettes?
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Those who think smoking is not affecting their cardiovascular fitness are deluding themselves. At a minimum, when you smoke carbon monoxide binds to the red blood cells thereby reducing their ability to transport oxygen.

When you quit it gets easier and you go faster for longer. I smoked for a long time and quit in Jan 2011.

Yeah same here. I used to think smoking didnt effect me or my ability to run, fight ect. Then I stopped smoking for about 6 months and was amazed at what a difference it made. Downside was I started smoking again for a few months before quitting again for good

If you think that you are negating the effects of smoking by running or cardio you must realize that you are only negating the harmful effects by very little. Not to mention that smoking after you exercise is terrible for you and possibly more harmful as your body is needing more oxygen

"Smoking after exercise places enormous stress on the heart. Like all healthy organs and muscles, the heart requires oxygen to function properly. However, cigarette smoke depletes the body's oxygen, replacing it with harmful carbon dioxide. As a result, the heart must pump harder to supply the body with needed oxygen. The nicotine in cigarettes also acts as a stimulant, further elevating heart rate beyond the already raised levels produced during exercise."

You need to stop kidding yourself.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I was a long time smoker. I started around age 14 :embarassed: and smoked anywhere from a few cigs a day to half a pack if i went out.

I did plenty of cardio while still smoking but I noticed an immediate diffrence once I quit in ways I didn't anticipate.

I knew once I quit that I would get less winded and be able to breath much better but I didn't put two and two together until I actually had about a month free of smoking that increased oxygen in my lungs meant more oxygen in my blood which meant more oxygen getting to all my muscles. I experiened a dramatic reduction on cramping and sore muscles. I felt like I could work out longer and recover faster.

As a smoking runner I would get horrible calf cramps the first mile to mile and a half of each run. BAD. But I would push through the pain and eventually as I ran it would go away. Once I stopped smoking so did the cramps! It made running so much more enjoyable!

I have been smoke free for over 3 years and its one of the best decisions I have ever made for myself health wise. It took a couple tries and it was hard at first but its been a long time now that I don't even think twice about smoking. Its not easy, but there is support out there if you want to quit.
  • phoenixoncemore
    phoenixoncemore Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I smoke and run. I have smoked since about the age of 15, which is terrifying. I want to give up for my health, but I still enjoy it. It's so frustrating. I read the Allan Carr book a while ago and quit for, oh all of 3 days. I didn't sleep for 3 days, I was full of rage and stress, kept getting dizzy and the shakes. As much as Allan Carr doesn't like the nicotine replacement therapy I think I'll try that next time. I liked my e-cig but it broke and I can't find them to buy in the UK, Amazon used to do them but have now stopped. It is so difficult to quit, most people don't realise unless they have been through it and even then I know of some people who have suffered more than others.

Anyway, I can run 9/10 minute miles for about 2 miles without a walking break. I just started HIIT so I do 60 second intervals at about 5 minute mile and then walk for 90 seconds for 20 minutes. I smoke directly before and after my run (I'm aware that is really stupid). I have nothing to compare to but it doesn't seem to affect me too much. I do wonder how much better I'd be if I didn't smoke though. I have not noticed any problems with my CV health..yet...in fact if I go for a walk with my friends (smokers and non-smokers) I'm the one it affects least of all. It does make me think that my lungs must be really good and I feel guilty for abusing them. :embarassed:
  • anneerick
    anneerick Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I quit January 21st of this year after being a smoker for 16 years. I have noticed a 100% turn around in my ablility to do cardio. Such a difference!!
    However, my husband still smokes (and is a long time smoker) and he can still kick my a** when it comes to cardio. Out runs me with ease.
    Of course (everyone knows) smoking is unhealthy but the degree to which it effects ones ability to do cardio (I think) depends on each individual.
  • babybs
    babybs Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Saturday the 18th will be 5 months without a smoke.
    After 37 yrs of smoking. It takes a made up mind.

It's a no-brainer that smoking effects all you do in life.
    Cardio, etc.....good luck!

Way to go! Congrats on your progress.