Man, I love Family Guy but...

Options

Replies

• ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    The purpose of comedy is catharsis, not disrespect. If you hold something so sacred that it can't be lampooned then you should look into why and try to change that, whether it's rape, abortion, eating disorders, death, 9/11, etc.

All of these things have horrible connotations for billions of people, but comedy allows you to laugh about it, which helps you move on from it. No one should ever be offended by comedy.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    No such thing as too far. Change the channel.

^This.

People have different levels of what they find funny.

To me, nothing is overboard. There is nothing that can offend me. If it offends someone else, I will probably find it funny.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I find anything on Lifetime or Oprahs channel instantly offensive to me. Also anything on telumundo.
    If the world isn't going to speak American and buy American, what is the point of having all these nukes.
    That's right mr. TV broadcaster.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    The purpose of comedy is catharsis, not disrespect. If you hold something so sacred that it can't be lampooned then you should look into why and try to change that, whether it's rape, abortion, eating disorders, death, 9/11, etc.

All of these things have horrible connotations for billions of people, but comedy allows you to laugh about it, which helps you move on from it. No one should ever be offended by comedy.

Good post.
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Family Guy is all about inappropriate, offensive jokes. The show is never afraid to say exactly how it feels and that's one of the reasons it is so popular. Most of the jokes they make are incredibly shocking, but it's like when you're in a church and trying not to laugh- you know it's horrible, but it's funny still. Of course, they cross the line many times, but there's nothing you can do about it, so why get upset? Just my personal opinion.

agreed! you think in youre head "wow that's not funny i shouldnt laugh" but at the same time you catch yourself smirking. thats why its so popular
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    i like when stewie is on steroids and bullies bryan
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    We all generally choose to laugh at the other jokes bar the ones that offend our particular sensibilities.
    Me, the Jewish Jokes in Southpark that push it a bit too far.
    Especially as this has seeped in to popular culture in the UK, where it wasn't before Southpark - the use of 'Jew' as a general put down etc.
    But, I'm sure the Christians* feel similar about their depiction of Jesus.

*I'm not religious at all - the last religious step in my family was Grandparents (and an Aunt) who were. However, grand parent on one side had Jewish Origins, having escaped Nazi Germany prior to the war I believe.

Actually I think how they portray Jesus and the devil is hilarious(I'm Catholic)! I am sorry about your family though.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I love Family Guy and South Park! The most offensive thing for me was when Peter said something about Michael J Fox playing Zorro. South Park - if you like it, go to youtube and looking up Randy wheel of fortune.
  • pittskaa
    Options

exactly. comedy is comedy for a reason. we should all just enjoy it!
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    grinds-my-gears.jpg
  • pittskaa
    Options
    i like when stewie is on steroids and bullies bryan

hahahahaha that episode is funny!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Nothing will ever top "Kiss Saves Santa". But, yes, they are crass. It's what they do.
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Family Guy is hilarious along with all the other shows like it. :)
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I watch Family Guy every night. I love that show even though I'm half black & half gay.. the references don't bother me a bit! It's just a cartoon.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I personally never liked Family Guy (I don't mind offensive humor [done right], but the non-sequitur style jokes sort of lose me), but I do actually really like McFarlane as a person, from what I've seen of him in interviews.

To be honest, I find the bulimia jokes on Family Guy to be less offensive than the fat jokes on How I Met Your Mother. At least Family Guy, you go in knowing you're going to hear some offensive stuff.

I know I shouldn't be so bothered by it, but it really gets under my skin when the cast of HIMYM continues to make jokes on how you can't date a fat girl, can't sleep with a fat girl, "omg no fatties allowed" and etc. I remember one episode in which Ted runs screaming from a date once he finds out (through the help of his friends who are trying to 'save' him) that his date used to be fat. So not only are fat girls free game but also girls who were fat and lost a lot of weight. It just really irks me after a while, even though I know I'm being silly about it. Still a good show otherwise, though.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I can name several other things on TV that are "offensive." Family Guy is NOT one of them! It's effing hilarious.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I don't really see how it bothers you. It's a joke, right? Just that. A joke. And seriously, Family Guy is so raunchy and offensive, and that's the only thing that bothers you? LOL..
  • MissShancey
    Options
    South Park. Canadians. nuff said.

^this
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I find anything on Lifetime or Oprahs channel instantly offensive to me. Also anything on telumundo.
    If the world isn't going to speak American and buy American, what is the point of having all these nukes.
    That's right mr. TV broadcaster.

Lifetime sometimes has too many movies about women being victimized. At least in the past that is what I took from it. Now and then I do watch it.
  • MSimm62385
    MSimm62385 Posts: 227
    Options
    I turned on Family Guy last week right as the "Prom Night Dumpster Baby" song came on. With other people in the room who aren't that familiar with Family Guy. The whole experience was awkwardly uncomfortable, and I thought to myself "really...how is this funny?"