intermittent fasting critis

Options

Replies

• Jamochadiva
    Jamochadiva Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've been IF for over a year and I have lost the most weight I have ever lost in my life
    (75lbs) and still counting. This works for me, butI am fully aware this is n magical fix, if you consume more cals than you burn you will gain weight. I like this b/c its a no brainer for me. Yeah this been around for a long time, perhaps centuries, but we have been indoctrinated w/massive advertisement that tells us we must eat breakfast or eat 6 small meals a day etc. At the end who is really profitting from this? I am baffled as to why there is so much negativity surrounding this, as mentioned up thread this concept isn't entirely new; research done on subjects on calorie restriction goes as far back as WWII showed that subjects didn't die of starvation nor did they go into starvation mode. My point is everything is not for everyone, but for those who have never tried this to put it down is ridiculous! Don't knock those who are succesful with this, we are adults why is so hard to fathom why it works for some but not for others? Do we all have the same genetic makeup, strengths or weaknesses? Obviously not.
  • pixelberry
    pixelberry Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 3 of a 16/8 split, so far, so good. My only problem was the first day - normally I had started my day off with a latte before a 27.75 mile bike ride at 5 AM. By 9:30 AM I was falling asleep. So much for the article that said it's not for women (sleepless? Hardly. I fell asleep even earlier despite my morning nap.) Maybe they should do more studies with humans than rats.
  • evaleung87
    Options
    Thank you allinseven2 and asgumbs86 for your feedback! Sorry was meant to ask this earlier too.. during the window when we eat, are we meant to stick to the calories that MFP has put us down for? In my case, 1,200 or are we meant to be eating more when we fast?
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Thank you allinseven2 and asgumbs86 for your feedback! Sorry was meant to ask this earlier too.. during the window when we eat, are we meant to stick to the calories that MFP has put us down for? In my case, 1,200 or are we meant to be eating more when we fast?

I would start with the calories MFP has allocated. It will help you reach the goal you set. IF is not a diet.
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Why is 14 X 10 recommended for women? What is the difference?

I found the following on
    http://www.armilegge.com/lean-gains-explained

Meal Timing
    Martin has found that his female clients tend to have trouble maintaining a 16 hour fast.  This makes sense for hormonal and evolutionary reasons.

“Men can do 16 hours quite easily, not so with women; for them, 14 hours is the sweet spot.”

Men: 16 hour fast followed by an 8 hour feeding period.
    Women: 14 hour fast followed by a 10 hour feeding period.

The frequency of the meals you eat in the fasted period doesn’t matter.  Martin usually recommends three meals for simplicity.
  • evaleung87
    Options
    cool, thanks!
  • vernessie
    Options
    INTERMITTENT FASTING DOES WORK!! I have been doing it now for a month. My scale weight has not changed but my body is losing inches and I am very happy about this.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Interesting idea, i recently watched a program on alternate day fasting (BBC) and wife and I are now in second week of trying it. Seems very different to the hours split most people are talking about though.
    We are fasting 2 days a week (not consecutive) and eating sensibly other 5 days. Fast days are really very restricted calorie rather than complete fast. The science seems to be logical.
    So far so good, not as hard as I thought it would be but energy levels in the gym are understandably low on fast days.

Hoping to use it to gain control over my hunger - my big downfall is eating when I'm not really hungry or eating just because I like the taste of something. Seems to be working so will stick with it for a few weeks - or until I hit my target!!

Here's a link http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549
  • dortress
    dortress Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    why anyone would want to screw up their metabolism doing this is simply beyond me...
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I got in to it because I was already doing it too- just didn't know skipping breakfast had a name!

Needs more love...

--P
    ???:huh:

Your post. I meant your post needs more love, i.e. more attention. Because if you think about it, IF is really just skipping breakfast... You can talk about 16/8 feeding windows, and yada yada yada. But it's really just skipping breakfast. Which, is kinda funny if you think about it...

--P
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    just because it's your answer doesn't mean it's everyones. if someone doesn't want to try it why not let them do what works for them?

didn't really see the OP forcing anyone to do it, he's just stating he doesn't understand why you wouldn't want to try it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    why anyone would want to screw up their metabolism doing this is simply beyond me...

In what sense would it mess with metabolism?
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options

I am looking for the magic in this. 1,200 calories during IF or standard way of eating. What's the difference?

I think the basic idea is that you just feel more full when eating in smaller windows and less deprived.
  • billyh333
    billyh333 Posts: 213
    Options
    well first off It does nothing to your metabolism.your body does not go in2 starvation mode for like 48-72 hrs don't tell me that u believe that six small meals speeds up your metabolism and it you don't eat every 4 hrs your body goes in2 starvation that's just not true.
  • smoffette
    smoffette Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    funny i'm seeing this thread right now! i'd been thinking about doing IF for health for a while (increased lifespan, protective against dementia and brain illnesses, etc http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermittent_fasting) and just did my first 26 hour fast yesterday. I plan to fast 1 - 2 days per week for 24+ hours each time (I've read that the majority of benefits occur at in the 18-24 hour time window during a fast).
    My mother in law does this and looks fabulous and fit and looks about 30 when she is actually in her 50s! She fasts one day a week, eats healthy, on the other days, and does yoga....she's my inspiration!
  • smoffette
    smoffette Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    this is an article on the benefits for alzheimers, from a recent scientific study http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2012/02/21/2003526021
  • billyh333
    Options
    And intermittent fasting has been around along time.its not New but when everyone starts getting amazing results.then its going to be a loss for all the supplement companies.:happy:
  • billyh333
    Options
    funny i'm seeing this thread right now! i'd been thinking about doing IF for health for a while (increased lifespan, protective against dementia and brain illnesses, etc http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermittent_fasting) and just did my first 26 hour fast yesterday. I plan to fast 1 - 2 days per week for 24+ hours each time (I've read that the majority of benefits occur at in the 18-24 hour time window during a fast).
    My mother in law does this and looks fabulous and fit and looks about 30 when she is actually in her 50s! She fasts one day a week, eats healthy, on the other days, and does yoga....she's my inspiration!
    you so right its a lot more then losing weight or getting lean its about your health also more then anything
  • paytonOMG
    paytonOMG Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump