Weight loss surgery...

Options

Replies

• strobems
    Options
    I would start measuring your food if you are not losing weight on mfp. It can be very eye opening at how many calories you're actually eating. I use to weigh 250 lbs and lost 109lbs from diet and exercise. I just ran my first full marathon in June. You can do it too! There is no quick fix.
  • drwgal
    drwgal Posts: 66
    Options
    OH MY GOODNESS..
    ENOUGH with the harshness..
    She did not ask for all this.
    She is desperate for help.
    Who are you to judge someone..
    I have seen MANY success rates from surgery.
    So everyone who is bashing it also needs to read up on their facts.
    I admit I was against it, until I WORKED for a surgeon.
    Do you think they would just let her through, no.
    She has a process to go through of psychological evals, and programs.
    Surgeons don't just pass anyone that walks in their door for money, contrary to popular belief.
    Stop beating up on the poor girl.

Actually, she did ask for it when she posted this. Maybe not the harshness in general, but how can she expect everyone to be all peaches and cream? Not everyone has the same opinion or ways that they approach things. If honesty is harsh, then why do we suggest that people tell the truth instead of lying?

I don't think the WLS is the main argument here, it is the fact the she is willing to LIE and FAKE certain medical criteria for WLS. It is just as unethical as someone walking into an emergency room saying they are in pain, just to get pain medication to feed their illness. It's a crime....and it is unfair to those who really need it to stay alive.

ETA- Everyone perceives rudeness differently.....What you may feel is rude, other's do not. I completely understand that, and just throwing out my opinion on it. Some people were rude, which I do agree with, but others are simply stating facts and being honest.

ETA again lol- I wanted to add that it is impossible to think that posting something, ANYTHING on a forum with thousands of people, thousands of different opinions, thoughts etc...will generate the same results. If people post certain things expecting thousands of people to be peachy, they are expecting way to much.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna be a hater, but I will offer this:

I have a friend who went thru Bypass surgery. Yes, she lost alot of weight - she had a medical condition that was causing her to rapidly become blind (something about a false tumor putting pressure on the optic nerve - this condition often occurs in overweight woman between 20-30 years of age, so she was told) and honestly needed something to happen fast.

She "knew" the right answers to get past the pysch eval, did all the tests, even tried a gym.... they did the surgery and now almost 2 years later.... she wishes she NEVER did it.

Plus.... she has malnutrition issues, vitamin troubles, more depression issues and unfornately has become a bit of a boozer (those who get this type of surgery absorb alachol VERY fast - they have done studies and have found alot of patients within 2-5 years have become alcholo dependent). She also can now almost eat normal portions of food, although it often times makes her sick.

I was thinking about the same type of surgery, but now after seeing what she has gone thru, I am glad I've chosen to go the harder & slower method of changing my habits & diet, instead of a medical procedure.

As much as you don't want to hear this, I really think you need to reevaluate why you want this done. This isn't a easy choice to make and will effect you for the remainder of your life.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    ETA: Theres a way to state facts without belittling someone...or being a complete *****

"nuff said....

p.s. Good luck with your decision and hope you decide for the best ma!
  • drwgal
    drwgal Posts: 66
    Options
    ETA: Theres a way to state facts without belittling someone...or being a complete *****

"nuff said....

p.s. Good luck with your decision and hope you decide for the best ma!

Yes, there are ways to state facts without being rude, but don't complain of other's rudeness when your being just as rude.
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Insurance fraud... it's what's for breakfast. Thanks for helping to keep my premiums up!
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It has taken me a year and a half but I have gone from 300 pounds to 188 and I feel great. I was at a plateau for over 6 months but never gave up and finally have started losing again. Keep trying!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Seeing as how you have only been on MFP since July, i would probably say you need to give it more time. As for failing the tests intentionally i'm not sure how you would do it or WHY you would want to. Weight loss surgeries have their own set of complications and losing it yourself is much safer and healthier. My opinion is don't cheat...try harder.

This! Weight loss surgery will NOT make weight loss easier. With it comes the need to radically change your diet. Generally you can only eat small portions, and certain foods become off limits. Not to mention it does not guarantee you will lose weight. Plenty of people get the surgery thinking it will be a quick fix and fail to lose weight because they don't change their eating and exercising habits. Not to mention the malnutrition that can come with it.

My advice? Keep doing what you're doing and learn to love your body at every size. Losing weight will not make you love yourself more or remove your depression. Those issues need to be tackled before a dramatic choice like weight loss surgery.
  • brittanypeters1990
    brittanypeters1990 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOODNESS..
    ENOUGH with the harshness..
    She did not ask for all this.
    She is desperate for help.
    Who are you to judge someone..
    I have seen MANY success rates from surgery.
    So everyone who is bashing it also needs to read up on their facts.
    I admit I was against it, until I WORKED for a surgeon.
    Do you think they would just let her through, no.
    She has a process to go through of psychological evals, and programs.
    Surgeons don't just pass anyone that walks in their door for money, contrary to popular belief.
    Stop beating up on the poor girl.

Actually, she did ask for it when she posted this. Maybe not the harshness in general, but how can she expect everyone to be all peaches and cream? Not everyone has the same opinion or ways that they approach things. If honesty is harsh, then why do we suggest that people tell the truth instead of lying?

I don't think the WLS is the main argument here, it is the fact the she is willing to LIE and FAKE certain medical criteria for WLS. It is just as unethical as someone walking into an emergency room saying they are in pain, just to get pain medication to feed their illness. It's a crime....and it is unfair to those who really need it to stay alive.

ETA- Everyone perceives rudeness differently.....What you may feel is rude, other's do not. I completely understand that, and just throwing out my opinion on it. Some people were rude, which I do agree with, but others are simply stating facts and being honest.

ETA again lol- I wanted to add that it is impossible to think that posting something, ANYTHING on a forum with thousands of people, thousands of different opinions, thoughts etc...will generate the same results. If people post certain things expecting thousands of people to be peachy, they are expecting way to much.

I clearly stated there is a mental evaluation.
    The girl is DESPERATE clearly like I said before.
    I am not expecting "peachy" responses from everyone as you are correct in everyone's opinions.
    Not once did I say lying to insurance is ok.
    I said there is other comorbidities that she infact may qualify for.
    I did not condone the lying.
    once again THERE IS a PSYCH EVAL.
    Calorie counting does not work for all.
    Weight loss surgery is a tool just as MFP.
    There is a lifestyle change that comes along with it.
    So you can be rude, and discourage her and cause her to look more down upon herself all you want as it is a free country, but i figured people on MFP would want to help as it is a support system for weight loss.
    She reached out and made herself vulnerable and you all retaliate, that's not ok.
    You need to be supportie, and no i do not mean supportive of the insurance fraud.
    If you read my posts it stated things about WLS and things insurance require.
    You don't have to have diabeties or sleep apnea to have surgery.
    But once again, bashing and judging is not the way to come across to a desperate person, you put them more in the dark.
    But I am done arguing with people over the internet.
    Everyone is so confident behind their computer screen.

Good luck with your journey Kamakazie I hope things work out.
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I want to get weight loss surgery since none of my efforts on my own are working. My insurance requires that you have so many co-morbid issues along with your weight problem. I unfortunately don't. I have PCOS but that doesn't qualify. Is it possible to purposefully fail a sleep study so that it looks like you have sleep apnea? Can I trick a diabetes test into saying I have diabetes?

I had a baby in November 2011 and have packed on 50 pounds just since February of this year! I have worked hard in the gym and eating healthy since January. I just discovered mfp a little while ago to help me track my calories more accurately but I just keep gaining. I've had my thyroid tested and been tested for cushing syndrome but the doctors have no answer as to why I'm disgustingly fat. I can barely force myself to leave my house to go to work much less going out in public for anything fun. I'm 5'3 and have hit 250 pounds. I have been eating 1200 caloires and trying to stick to low carb eating although I have to be careful with that since I've already had ketoacidosis once and was warned that it could kill me if it happens again.

I just can't live like this any more. My depression as a result of my weight is getting out of hand. I spend most days crying and thinking about self harming behaviors (I used to be a cutter) I need to lose the weight to get healthy both physically and mentally. If weight loss surgery is the only way it's going to happen I'll do WHATEVER it takes to get the surgery (I'm a perfectionist and never fail at anything I do and I feel so out of control in the fact I can't make my weight come off) .

So: After reading your post, this is what stuck out to me.

I have been eating 1200 caloires and trying to stick to low carb eating although I have to be careful with that since I've already had ketoacidosis once and was warned that it could kill me if it happens again.
    **1200 may just be too low for you. You MAY do better eating more calories and eating every two or three hours to ALWAYS keep your metabolism roaring. And the fact that you are playing with something that could 'kill' you is a bit concerning.**

My depression as a result of my weight is getting out of hand.
    Your depression is probably not so much about your weight, as much as your mental torture about your weight. Try and be nicer to yourself.

If weight loss surgery is the only way it's going to happen I'll do WHATEVER it takes to get the surgery (I'm a perfectionist and never fail at anything I do and I feel so out of control in the fact I can't make my weight come off

And this is a helluva IF! This is not the only way to lose weight. It is a shortcut with potential dangerous consequences... I pray that you find inner confidence and motivation to make it happen. Think about it, what would you tell your children? That keeps me moving forward and trying to do things the right way. Because if they try to shortcut doing something because its 'too hard', I want to be able to let them know that THEY are worth the effort and tears! No matter how long it may take or how bad it may feel, achieving whatever it is that you want for yourself is PRICELESS!! Good luck, no matter what decision you choose.

Please don't try and get diabetes to get this surgery. Having diabetes is the only way to fool a diabetes test!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,246 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and fake whatever tests you want, you WILL fail the psych eval, and rightly so. Also, if you have insurance, you should hope that they don't find posts like these, which would go a long way in proving insurance fraud. Not necessarily for the WLS, but if you successfully convince then that you have sleep apnea when you don't, the CPAP machine and mask they force you to get for your "condition" that they would be on the hook to pay for would certainly be fraud.

I believe that you may have selective listening skills. I imagine your conversation with the doctor went something like this "Kamikaze (oh, how ironic a username) based on your pre-existing conditions, your body type, yadda yadda yadda, 125 pounds is not a reasonable or safe goal weight. You will not be able to reach your idea weight. However a more reasonable weight is ____"
    But you zone it all out and only hear that you can't be 125 and it's the end of the world.

I also highly doubt your doctor or nutritionist looked at your log, saw you ate 3 breakfast burritos from McDonald's for breakfast (at almost 1000 calories of your daily 1200, I believe) and told you that you were doing "everything possible" to lose weight on your own.

You have depression and I would believe a myriad of other mental issues you need to iron out before you deal with your weight.

Really??? You dont have to be so rude.

Geezus people...

Okay, I read the post you quoted like 10 times and I don't see anything rude about it. It is to the point and not sugar coated, but it lays out the facts. Being to the point and pointing out facts is not in any way rude.

bull *kitten* its not rude....read it again for the 11th time.

Again, stating facts is not rude. The only one rude would be you. There is no reason to resort to swearing at people.

FACTS are not rude. I am sorry that some people think everything needs to be sugar coated. But that does not help people! Sometimes people need to wake up and deal with life. Life is not happy and pretty. It has it's ups and it's downs.

I still see nothing in the post that could be taken as rude. Please point out what you are seeing. I see facts stated as just that... facts.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    this thread is just all sorts of wrong.

OP - you should seek some serious counseling, and take a good hard look at what you're actually eating. for one, i would probably starve to death eating the way you are, and for two, keeping at 1200 calories is pointless especially when you're spending a goodly portion of it on junk. More fruit, less fruit juice. More brown rice, less red velvet cookies. More grilled chicken, less hamburger meat. More more more more veggies, fewer random beverages that are empty calories.

just a thought.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and fake whatever tests you want, you WILL fail the psych eval, and rightly so. Also, if you have insurance, you should hope that they don't find posts like these, which would go a long way in proving insurance fraud. Not necessarily for the WLS, but if you successfully convince then that you have sleep apnea when you don't, the CPAP machine and mask they force you to get for your "condition" that they would be on the hook to pay for would certainly be fraud.

I believe that you may have selective listening skills. I imagine your conversation with the doctor went something like this "Kamikaze (oh, how ironic a username) based on your pre-existing conditions, your body type, yadda yadda yadda, 125 pounds is not a reasonable or safe goal weight. You will not be able to reach your idea weight. However a more reasonable weight is ____"
    But you zone it all out and only hear that you can't be 125 and it's the end of the world.

I also highly doubt your doctor or nutritionist looked at your log, saw you ate 3 breakfast burritos from McDonald's for breakfast (at almost 1000 calories of your daily 1200, I believe) and told you that you were doing "everything possible" to lose weight on your own.

You have depression and I would believe a myriad of other mental issues you need to iron out before you deal with your weight.

Really??? You dont have to be so rude.

Geezus people...

Rude, but likely very accurate.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    What is with all the surgery bashing? From what I've read it hasn't been the surgery that has failed these people but rather the people that failed the surgery. For those of you who are under the mistaken impression that it's "the easy way out", educate yourselves before you sound any more foolish than you already do.

Oh, and I'm not suggesting it nor encouraging it, but it is quite possible to fail a test for diabetes on purpose. They require a 12 hour fast before the blood draw to get accurate numbers. All you need do it eat a substantial amount of sugar before that and you will show as being diabetic. Not that I would at all suggest doing that.
  • mownt
    mownt Posts: 9
    Options
    this thread is just all sorts of wrong.

Agreed.

Here is my advise (take it or leave it)

Make small adjustments to your daily life. Start by cutting out soda, give it a week or two, then change to eat smaller meals more times a day (I personally eat 6 times a day), give this a week or two so it becomes second nature. Just focus on the small changes, once they are second nature add a new one. Keep doing this until you have a healthy balanced lifestyle. Make a journal of how the changes are making you feel, both physically and emotionally.

Increase your Calories I don't know where the 1200 came from that you are currently trying to do everyday but, that is low. 1200 should be the minimum you eat daily not the max.

Make a large goal and a bunch of small ones. When I started 50 days ago, my first goal was to see under 220 pounds when I got on the scale, then under 215, etc... with my large goal being under 200. Once I reach 200 I will re-evaluate and create new goals.

I personally weight myself daily, at the exact same time, in the exact same manner, this way I can see my progress or lack there of. My morning ritual is, wake up, brush my teeth, use the restroom, get on the scale. If I get on the scale first my weight can fluctuate 1 pound or more.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I'm not suggesting it nor encouraging it, but it is quite possible to fail a test for diabetes on purpose. They require a 12 hour fast before the blood draw to get accurate numbers. All you need do it eat a substantial amount of sugar before that and you will show as being diabetic. Not that I would at all suggest doing that.

Most doctors will order an A1C test before telling you're diagnosed as a diabetic. That test does not require fasting beforehand. The A1C test is a blood test that provides information about a person’s average levels of blood glucose, also called blood sugar, over the past 3 months. So just having a high fasting glucose isn't going to nail the diagnosis for her. Just sayin'
  • jella74
    jella74 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    OMG ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Weight loss surgery and lie to Dr's and insurance to get the surgery??? This is a very dangerous thing to do, especially if you would need surgery after have WLS, cause sleep apnea and diabetes need to be treated differently when they have to put you to sleep. So if you lie and you die or have some serious damage then you'll be your fault. I had a friend who said she had sleep apnea and when they put her under for a hysterectomy she flat-lined but thankfully she lived, cause they gave her the wrong thing because SHE LIED! Now she's trying to sue the crap out of them but can't cause SHE LIED! Is lying worth your life to lose weight when something random can happen afterwards with a horrible result? Just wait a couple of more years Obama will have that surgery covered no matter what insurance requires.

After reading this I am FURIOUS!!!! For many reasons!!!! POCS IS THE MAIN PROBLEM! CONTROL THAT CRAP OR IT CONTROLS YOU, and from what I have read from your post it already has got you in a vice grip and winning that fight!!!!
    TREAT YOUR PCOS FIRST!!!!

I HAVE PCOS and have so far lost 22 pounds from eating only 1200 calories and RUNNING the c2-5k program for 175days. With hardly ever eating back a burned calorie cause I allow myself a cheat day every other week. So I know you can lose weight without trouble.

IF YOU CONTROL YOUR PCOS THEN YOU CAN CONTROL YOUR WEIGHT!!!!!
  • jella74
    jella74 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm also adding that My Mother In Law had WLS done via lap-band, and it's worked wonders for her! She had retinal diabetes, diabetic neuropathy, and a few other things wrong with her.

So I'm not saying it's a bad thing but for You wanting to lie about getting surgery would be horrible with a dangerous outcome like my friend had.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    OMG ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Weight loss surgery and lie to Dr's and insurance to get the surgery??? This is a very dangerous thing to do, especially if you would need surgery after have WLS, cause sleep apnea and diabetes need to be treated differently when they have to put you to sleep. So if you lie and you die or have some serious damage then you'll be your fault. I had a friend who said she had sleep apnea and when they put her under for a hysterectomy she flat-lined but thankfully she lived, cause they gave her the wrong thing because SHE LIED! Now she's trying to sue the crap out of them but can't cause SHE LIED! Is lying worth your life to lose weight when something random can happen afterwards with a horrible result? Just wait a couple of more years Obama will have that surgery covered no matter what insurance requires.

After reading this I am FURIOUS!!!! For many reasons!!!! POCS IS THE MAIN PROBLEM! CONTROL THAT CRAP OR IT CONTROLS YOU, and from what I have read from your post it already has got you in a vice grip and winning that fight!!!!
    TREAT YOUR PCOS FIRST!!!!

I HAVE PCOS and have so far lost 22 pounds from eating only 1200 calories and RUNNING the c2-5k program for 175days. With hardly ever eating back a burned calorie cause I allow myself a cheat day every other week. So I know you can lose weight without trouble.

IF YOU CONTROL YOUR PCOS THEN YOU CAN CONTROL YOUR WEIGHT!!!!!

I have often wondered what would make a person lie to a doctor about certain things. I know that people do it to get pain meds and the like, sadly I understand that. But to lie before any kind of surgery seems, well, stupid. You are putting your life in the hands of the people in that room, they need to know everything about you. Seems like a pretty convoluted way to commit suicide.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    You seem to have the mistaken idea that surgery is a quick fix cure for obesity. That just isnt true. I did have surgery, but I have to work hard for my weight loss. I have to watch what I eat, count my calories, count every gram of carb and protein I eat....and I have to do this for the rest of my life. I no longer take medication for my high blood pressure and high cholesterol...those are gone. My diabetes is in fabulous control. For me< surgery was necessary and it saved my life. I have lost 80 pounds...but I work it. I eat well, I exercise regularly. I think that if you go into a situation where you pursue surgery and you think it is going to instantly fix your problem and make your life all rosy and fabulous, you are going to be very disappointed. I suggest that you speak seriously with your doctor about such a life altering surgery. Would I do it again? Absolutely. It was the best decision for me. Best of luck to you.