Strange reaction to buying smaller clothes :-(

Options
I have lost about 42lbs so far, but still have a long way to go. For a few weeks now my jeans have been falling off me, so last weekend I went out and bought myself three new pairs of pants which were not one but TWO sizes smaller. To say I was thrilled would be an understatement, spent a lot of time looking at myself in the mirror, feeling so good about myself.
Now, heres the thing, I felt good on that day, I felt good on the Monday when I went to work in new clothes and everyone admired me. Since then, how do I feel? Fat and frumpy because now my clothes are not loose! They fit me properly, but instead of making me feel smaller they make me feel bigger :-( I know I should be feeling happy, but when I feel a waistband that fits instead of one that is huge for me I just feel huge! Anyone else ever feel this? How can I get that "thin" feeling back?

Replies

• sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 42lbs so far, but still have a long way to go. For a few weeks now my jeans have been falling off me, so last weekend I went out and bought myself three new pairs of pants which were not one but TWO sizes smaller. To say I was thrilled would be an understatement, spent a lot of time looking at myself in the mirror, feeling so good about myself.
    Now, heres the thing, I felt good on that day, I felt good on the Monday when I went to work in new clothes and everyone admired me. Since then, how do I feel? Fat and frumpy because now my clothes are not loose! They fit me properly, but instead of making me feel smaller they make me feel bigger :-( I know I should be feeling happy, but when I feel a waistband that fits instead of one that is huge for me I just feel huge! Anyone else ever feel this? How can I get that "thin" feeling back?

I have been there. I try to focus on how tight my body feels, on the lesser muffin tops, the decrease in jiggle. Focus on the changes and the positives. Stand tall and walk proud! :)
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Yep been there, just watch how quick the new ones get to big then you
    will really be PUMPED :)
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Use that as motivation to continue your weight loss journey so that THOSE pants become too loose!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I can relate. In my opinion, it takes awhile for your brain to adjust to your new body and the changes you've made. Just keep at it, everything will even out eventually. And congrats on being 2 sizes down! That's nothing to sneeze at my friend!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Your not alone, just hang in there!!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I know, but just wait till your skinny pants start to sag. Then you will get that thrill all over again.
    It's good to buy cloths that fit along the way because we get used to feeling like we are done.
    Celebrate the new size and let it motivate you to shrink out of them. (unless you truely are done)
  • CricketWhiskers
    CricketWhiskers Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Take a picture of yourself in the baggy clothes and take a picture of yourself in you fitting clothes, once you SEE how much thinner you look it should help you FEEL how great you look!
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You have what most of us have--body image issues. Sometimes you have to turn off your brain when it comes to looking at yourself. Stick with your plan and keep going. You can be smaller, but your brain's perception is not telling you that. Stay motivated and really believe and work toward your goals.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that really loose feeling is niiiiice. I've only gone down one size and I've kept the jeans in the bigger size and wear them sometimes. I would say you should probably wear the proper fit for work, but when you're at home on your own time, do what you want. :wink:
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    This boggles my mind, but somehow...I understand! I agree with taking some side by side pics. That should help!
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I can understand that. I do prefer my clothes to feel loose around the belt line. But I must say, when I have pants the fit my properly, it makes my butt look hot! :wink:
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I remember that feeling... and I remember when my new jeans got to big for me and I had to put them in a hot wash just to shrink them enough that they didn't fall off! Just one more thing for you to look forward too :)
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I had this same thought today. I just cant wait until these new ones fall off too!
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I went down from a 24 to an 18 and as exciting as that is, its still no where near my goal or how I want to look and it took time to adjust to the form fitting pants/tops, now 4 months later they feel as good as my old clothing, so give it time, you will enjoy it.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I actually have the opposite problem, but I've always liked wearing tight clothes. I really hate wearing loose clothes. I feel lost in the clothes & that the clothes are just covering fat, not me or my body, kind of like my body is all fat and nothing else. I'm just dying to wear clothes that fit properly. I can't wait to go clothes shopping and get the latest styles and not have to worry about whether or not the clothes will fit. I want jeans, shorts, skirts, dresses, coats, work out clothes. I want it all. Oh, and boots, I love wearing boots in the Fall! And when I do go clothes shopping, I am NOT buying anything with a stretchy waistband except the workout clothes.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I agree with a previous comment that your brain has not yet adjusted. You've been so used to your clothes fitting loosely that it feels strange for them to be snug. It reminds you of how you felt when your old clothing was tight on you before you lost the weight. I guess you just have to keep telling yourself that you're NOT the same person you were. Also, it helps to make sure you look as nice as possible, not just in the way you dress, but also your hair and makeup. Try and remind yourself of the visual changes, and no matter how you are feeling mentally, ALWAYS carry yourself like you own the whole world. Somehow projecting confidence actually makes me feel more confident, too.
  • ShannonMarie81
    Options
    Use that as motivation to continue your weight loss journey so that THOSE pants become too loose!

Yes I agree with this!

Use all of these feelings (the good and the bad ones) to keep motivating you and moving you forward!
    But then..you have to start talking to yourself in a postive way..and telling yourself how for you have come
    already..and how beautiful you are inside and out no matter what size you are...and start loving yourself
    at every single stage!
    Some people never are happy with themselves no matter what...and I have struggled with this..so start
    being happy and enjoying each stage...and then celebrate each new one that comes along as an accomplishment!

Congrats on your weight loss so far...and keep up the great work! =)
  • jlwbeans0823
    jlwbeans0823 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You are not alone, I definitely relate. I wish I could snap out of it and feel good about my progress/changes.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    You get adjusted! I promise!

I have been in limbo land for the past 2 months, with very small changes on the scale! I decided it was time to hunt down another pair of jeans! (One of my "goal" outfits was colored jeans, but I hadn't found any yet.).

Well I went to the store to try on pants. And they were down one size compared to the pair I bought a month ago! They could be stretchier. Or fit differently, but I'll take it. (I have been basically shifting the same 3-4 pounds for the past 6 weeks.)
  • lois4468
    lois4468 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have been purchasing some jeans at the Goodwill. Amazing how many good jeans you can get there. Anyway I started out at size 20, then got some 18s, 16s, 14s, and even some 12s. I got these on dollar day or at my local thrift store where stuff is only 50 cents. I buy the ones that look like new. As I get smaller I take them back and donate them, it's like renting clothes. Really helps with the budget and keeps the closet in check. So far I am now in the 14s. I noticed a couple were loose so tried a 12. Almost there. Since all my pants used to have elastic waists wearing jeans feels good. I still have a lot to lose but as I go down in jean size they are tighter and have a muffin top hanging over. But I tell myself how far I have come from a 20 down to a 14 even though they were tight. I still feel really good and even better as they get looser. Just remind yourself how far you have come. Good luck!!