desk jobs

Options

Replies

• gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Living in Florida doesn't allow this in the summer months... after 1 minute out there I'd be a sweaty mess! hahaha I plan on doing this when it cools down, though. I see ladies do this daily.
    Ha! Same here in Houston. I'd be a hot mess after even a 5 minute walk outside during the day.

It's been over 100 here for weeks and I still walk every day around 10 am (when it's only 80-85). I sweat, but I don't really care. We don't have the humidity that Florida does though. Short 20 minute walks a couple times a day help keep you moving. My last job was in Seattle where it rained a lot so I went up and down the 13 floors of stairs twice a day. Every little thing adds up. I've also been known to drop to the floor and do pushups (or do them against the desk if you don't want to get on the floor.) They wake you up quick! I also go to the gym on my 30 minute lunch break and again at 5:00.
  • GeorgiaTina
    Options
    Desk job here too, nine hours a day. Great ideas from everyone! I need to bring in my excercise band to my office :)
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Stamina-55-1610-InMotion-Elliptical-Trainer/dp/B000VICRO8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345225314&sr=8-1&keywords=inmotion+elliptical

LOVE this thing. It's pretty portable too... i can carry it in one hand. I'm sad because mine broke.... ( long story, i brought it home to use while watching during breaks in a concert webcast... while watching the actual concert I didn't have it out of the way enough... I was dancing around, spun in circles, got dizzy, fell over it and knocked it super hard into my OTHER elliptical...a huge clunky thing, and it wound up messing up the one leg... :(... tried to fix it to no avail, but it's pretty cheap to get a replacement...;)

I used it under my desk ( turning it backwards for some reason, helped my knees not hit my desk) and then as often as i could, would set up a box to put my keyboard on, and then would do my regular office work while pedaling away :) per my bodybug, i was burning anywhere from 7-9 cals per minute while on it...not bad for a machine! It also works your core when you are standing on it because you have to learn how to balance...since there are no arms to hold onto... i likes it better that way after awhile actually!

Actually considering selling the big clunky thing and getting one of these for home... it's a lot quieter and VERY compact.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I'm an admin assistant somewhere where I can't really walk around a lot outside my office, and to my dismay I share an office (with a rather annoying person at that D:) so I don't really do much in the office to keep moving. I rather have my back to them and pretend they don't exist so they don't start with the annoyingly boring conversations about the same stuff on a different day.

BUT what I do is when I go to the rest room since it's a single person restroom, I might do some squats or jumping jacks in there. Just something to get moving :D Also works great if I'm low on energy! I just dip out. Granted, I don't do it often, don't want people thinking I have a problem. lol.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I walk on my breaks, but that's about it. I leave my workout for home because we don't have showers at work to wash off the sweat! :tongue:
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!!! I workout every morning from 6-7 and then again at night but sitting here all day has been driving me crazy! I guess I'm not used to it since we are usually pretty busy solving crimes and whatnot. I love the squat/tri dips idea... and just walking around my building. You all rock :)

Just did 100 squats... blood is flowing!
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I take what I call "creative loops" around my building (Houston here, too, so I don't dare go outside in work clothes for too long at a time :sick: ).

I take either my phone or pen/paper and walk around (my building actually has a loop and 6.5 times around = 1 mile) - it gives my brain a rest and my body a change of pace and sometimes I even have ideas to write down!

It's kind of like the "sudden cognitive inspiration" in the Shower Principle mentioned by Jack Donaghy on 30 Rock :smile:
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and it sucks for exercise.
    I do make a point to try and get in some walking exercise as much as I can throughout the day.

Ways that I do this:

Take the stairs.
    Park my car further.
    Take a walk on my breaks.
    Take a walk or a short run at lunch time.

I pretty much use any excuse to walk.
    By the end of my workday, my fitbit has usually recorded about 9000 steps.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    On my short breaks I’ll walk and/or do the stairs. On my lunch I get in a good 30 minute jog. I also do random calisthenics through the day, like squats & lunges.
  • Mama_Mila
    Mama_Mila Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I sit all day and it sucks :( I get up to walk a patient to an exam room and then I sit back down...it's terrible!
  • AshleyBananas
    Options
    There's something called a pedal exerciser. It's an under the desk little foot pedal bike type thing. I friend has one, I'd like to invest. They're about 40 bucks. May be a good option.
  • Careolyn
    Careolyn Posts: 61
    Options
    I have little mini workouts. Todays I am doing:
    10 push ups
    20 mountain climber
    20 mountain climber with twist
    30 second plank
    50 jumping jacks

I do my mini workouts at least 3 times a day, takes about 4 mintues. I do have my own office and everyone on my floor knows I am really into fitness so when they hear me jumping around it's not anything to be alarmed about :)
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Take the stairs as often as possible. Get up and walk around, too, if possible. You can also get an In-Motion elliptical which you can use while sitting. If you're allowed to keep one under your desk, I recommend it!
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    every time you go to the bathroom do some squats & on the spot jogging. Any movement is better than no movement.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I talk walks during lunch just to get out of the office. Thats about it though
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    lots of pushups and jogging up stairs. We even had a punching bag in our storage for a while.
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I do kegels non-stop at my desk...
  • stharrison23
    stharrison23 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I work in a small office, so there is not a lot of space for walking around. I try to get up every hour to do something. I also do squats in my office. I try to do 25 every two hours. By the end of the day I have done 100 squats. Every little bit counts.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I try to add some walking when I have the time.