Do MFP friends really help you lose more weight?

Options
I don't have any MFP friends. Does it really help with the weightloss?

Replies

• gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Not me. They entertain me when I'm bored.
  • JanelleG0122
    JanelleG0122 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people who love a support system. So yes, the more my friends support me, the better I feel and the more I feel as if I can accomplish anything!
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    I'm not sure it's so much the people as the fact that I'm motivated, but reading the forums certainly helps me to keep remembering why I'm here.
    And there are some great people!
  • hlinn01
    hlinn01 Posts: 36
    Options
    For me, it is helping. I love the support and encouragement, also motivation. In the Community setting, it is fun to read and get advice, but it's also nice to have friends who you know you can count on to help you out. It also is a sure way to keep me coming back, because I am a person who doesn't like to disappoint others.
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    i say yes, definitely. but i was already a huge facebook junkie before this so i'm used to the format. it's a distraction from food and keeps reminding you that you have goals.

also it feels nice to know that people are paying attention to you and trying to help. i don't have anyone like that in real life i would be too embarrassed to ask my friends for constant support. none of them really have weight problems or if they have food issues they deal with them in unhealthy ways like starvation.

there are athletes and trainers on here giving good advice which is cool
  • fitnotfluffy
    fitnotfluffy Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I used to be a social network FREAK. Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, everything...all day long. Now I'm always on MFP. The people I've met on this site have changed my life, and helped support me through some struggles. They keep me in check when it comes to food choices, and I do the same for them as well. A lot of my friends also have competitions to see if we can burn a certain amount of calories each week and things of that sort, which is also really motivational!
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It's kinda nice to say nice things and have nice things said back but its up to you :-)
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    It certainly helps me. I helps to keep me motivated to see others successes. It also helps to know that someone else is sort of keeping tabs on me. It helps to keep me motivated and honest!
  • liss125
    liss125 Posts: 77
    Options
    Most people find it very motivating, but I have never had MFP friends. I even have friends in real life who use this site and I don't 'friend' them. The idea of sharing my diet/exercise habits with others terrifies me.
  • AthenaArcher
    AthenaArcher Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    They help me stay on track......you can add me as your friend if you want.
  • misskim80
    misskim80 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well i work at a gym and biggest thing for most people to succeed in a weight loss goal is having a big enough support system, but some people do not need that type of system to lose weight so it really all depends on what you need. I so far only have my IRL friends on my profile. But as long as they motivate you to lose and do not hold you back that is key importance.
  • rebrcca3434
    Options
    I'm not a social network person but it had been surprisingly helpful. I have approximately 80 friends and if I disappear someone will notice lol. I could probably do it on my own but it's more fun this way.
  • Ltrautman80
    Ltrautman80 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think is always better to have a support goup. Whether it's a group of people you hang out with, talk over the phone, or on social networks. It's always more encouraging when people notice the changes you're going through and telling you that you're doing a great job. Especially people that are going through the same things you are. Plus it helps to know other people have been able to accomplish what you're trying to do. :smile:
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I started on here in March. The only friend I had was my Mom and I didn't use the message boards. I lasted about 10 days before falling off the wagon.

I came back in May, I found friends and used the message boards-- and 3 months later, I'm going strong.
    Not only do the friends give you support & motivation (and vice versa), but it holds you accountable too.
  • tonyote40
    Options
    It depends how motivated you are and how motivated the friends you choose are. Mine help me out huge. They keep me motivated and thier achievements keep me going.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Yes. Sometimes I'll post, "I don't feel like working out today". And, they'll all kick my @$$ and motivate me to do it. It's happened more than a few times. It's awesome.
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    Options
    I can't say they help me lose weight, but it's nice getting acknowledgements for weight loss and hard workouts. Plus knowing that I have friends who can view my diary each night and can see my calorie burns, helps me to make wiser choices.
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I totally think it helps! They are there to cheer you on and it feels great to cheer them on too!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I will come over to your house and slap the sandwich out of your hand and replace it with a carrot. Followed by a light beating.

That's what mfp friends do.
  • Esther50
    Esther50 Posts: 252
    Options
    Not really, they just keep me from quitting. The weight loss/gain is really my own doing.