"BLACK or AFRICAN AMERICAN" mainly a question...

Options

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    N word is used by mostly blacks, and some whites. I say the N word. Maybe it's a TX thing. I am not going to lie, it is what it is, oh and when I use the N word, I don't discriminate.

blacks. i hate when people refer to "black people" "african american people", whatever, as blacks. irritates me so much.

blacks = no no

black folk , black people = all good

exactly. you don't hear people saying "oh look at those whites!" its so annoying when anyone says blacks. /end rant. :bigsmile:

I say white people...or white folk.

I don't even say caucasian...seems disrespectful...I can't explain why

Probably because not all white people feel they originated from the Caucasus mountians near the country of Georgia... I hate being called Caucasian... I don't mind being called White... or if we HAVE to do the hyphenated American thing than Euro-American (as I'm a Euro mutt of mostly Anglo-Saxon descent from both Germany and England).
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    im going to ink my whole body so I can truly be a person of color ............ shi ya'll cray im blacker than most these heads round here
  • _MissTerious_
    Options
    *Hands Heather some popcorn*

Here ya go.... ;)

it's about damn time. you can't watch this *kitten* w/o popcorn.

There has got to be some butter in this popcorn. Nom nom nom.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've often wondered the same (I'm white). I have a friend who is black and is offended when called African American becuase he was born in Brazil.
  • MrsCCWoods
    MrsCCWoods Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have never been bothered by being called black or African American, the thing is with me is that my race shouldn't matter i dont judge people based on the color of there skin i base it on the character of the person.

25438163.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • danilee1020
    danilee1020 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    LOL, Black people say whites. lol-some of y'all are really sheltered. I am not racist either, i am fair. Treat me kind. Maaybe since I've grown up in a diverse area it's different. None of my black friends or family would consider me racist. Honest-yes :)
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    OP, I think this is a totally fair question, and it's something I've also wondered. In my own experience, I really just avoid using either descriptor, unless I'm trying to point someone out in a crowd and need some sort of visual cue to go off of. If I'm in a sea of white people and there are only a handful of black people, I'd use "black" as a descriptor, not African American. If I'm in a sea of black people and there are only a handful of white people, I'd use "white" in the same manner. If I need to identify a person in a sea of people all the same color (black or white or some other race), I'll use the color of their shirt or something else unique about them (height, hair color, etc. - whatever is the most obvious thing that sets them apart (visually) from the people around them.)

When my daughter was about 4, she came in from playing outside with some neighbor kids, and told me about a new girl she'd just met. I looked out the window at the kids playing and asked which was the new girl. My daughter commented "the girl in the pink shirt." Turned out that out of a group of ten or so kids, all were white, except for the new girl who was black, and indeed, wearing a pink shirt. The fact that a 4 yr old would notice a new friend's shirt before the color of her skin really taught me a lesson that's stuck with me ever since.

Actuallly you TAUGHT your daughter a lesson and you didnt realized it....Racism is a learned behavior...usually from their parents....which is something you do not teach your daughter...those indirectly teaching her NOT to see color....I applaud you
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Can I just say as well that most Black people in AMERICA have NEVER even been to Africa...I know I sure haven't!

If u ever go, hit me up! lol
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    N word is used by mostly blacks, and some whites. I say the N word. Maybe it's a TX thing. I am not going to lie, it is what it is, oh and when I use the N word, I don't discriminate.

See, I'm caucasian (or white, I really don't care either way), but I get extremely offended when I hear ANYONE use that word! It's just an ugly word! It no longer has a place in modern language, in my personal opinion. The word is never used in it's correct context, therefore, when used it is always offensive.
  • fatboypup
    Options
    Some say the blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice
    I say the darker the flesh then the deeper the roots
  • sassylm22
    Options
    awesome and rightly stated!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

It's not a Texas thing, it's a racist thing. I've lived in Texas all my life, and the only white people I know who use that word are people who intend to be offensive.
  • fighterdiva
    fighterdiva Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I personally do not want to be referred to as African American. Here is why...I do not hold a belief that all "Black" people are decendants of Africa. Plenty of people from countries such as the Dominican Replublic identify as "Black" even though they speak Spanish and are of "mixed" heritage. That is just one example. Myself personally...I identify as "black" but my great grand-father was in fact of Irish (white) descent. My father's father was hispanic. I feel that most "black" people are many things so to be labeled from Africa automatically is not ok to me. I don't get terribly offended when called African American because I know most people are meerly attempting to be politically correct. Howeverm those that I am close with I let them know I prefer Black. I think the term "black" also partially refers to our skin complexion (which is really brown...lol), but this is less offensive to me because as I stated before plenty of other nationalities (such as Dominicans) have dark skin besides "black" people. That's just my two cents.

Those of us from the Dominican or Panama or any of the Latin Countries are still of African decent and were brought over on the same slave ships. "Same ship different stop" is what my grandfather used to say. My family comes from Panama, and some of us use the term Afro Latino and some say Black Latino.
  • ladyluch99
    ladyluch99 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I, personally, would prefer to be called "Black American". To use the term "African American" denotes (to me) that I was born in African and then became an American which is not true. I have never even been to Africa and therefore, am not African American. My ancestors were, indeed, Africans who became Americans. Just my 2 cents.
  • fatboypup
    Options
    and I always get a better haircut at a black barbershop
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    im going to ink my whole body so I can truly be a person of color ............ shi ya'll cray im blacker than most these heads round here

ahahah, too funny =)
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was in Grade 2, her best friend was a sweet little girl named Magenta. They played together all day at school. Two weeks into their very intense friendship, Josey comes up to me after school and says "Mom, I don't understand why Magenta's parents named her Magenta" (please keep in mind that at this point I hadn't met or seen Magenta) I said...oh..why is that? It's a very unsual and pretty name.

To which Josey replied "Well Magenta is brown...do you think they are color blind? Magenta means purple"

The color of her friends skin was NEVER an issue for her (except for her concern with the parents eyesight) and at that point I really felt as a mother I was doing something right.

in our house we call them black, for exactly the reason stated earlier, we are Canadian so the people we meet may be african (they may not) but they are not american.

Most of my friends prefer the term black also.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    In one of my society sociology classes, this black/African American girl stated she did not like being called "black" because her skin was not black, it's more like brown. She also does not like being called "African American" because neither she or her family is from Africa. Well... what do I call you then??? My skin is more like a peach or maybe olive tone...but I'm WHITE. I just don't understand it. :noway:
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I've often wondered the same (I'm white). I have a friend who is black and is offended when called African American becuase he was born in Brazil.

This further proves my point. Her friend is from Brazil and identifies as Black. Not an "African-American" because he is in this country and his skin happens to be dark.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    aflac.jpg

Aflack!!!

Luv ya skitty!!! \m/