Do MFP friends really help you lose more weight?

Options

Replies

• emileesgram
    emileesgram Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    you are the doing the work for your weight loss but having MFP friends is like icing on the cake (maybe I shouldn't use that metaphor?) but in all seriousness it helps me to hear feedback and I like connecting with people all over the world. It's a;ways nice to have support and encouragement so I choose my pals carefully to make sure they are the kind of people I want to connect with.
  • JennifercitaDEgomez
    Options
    Not me. They entertain me when I'm bored.

Then it does help you... because if you dont get entrertain when bored... then you will be ending up EATING lol
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    For me it is a connection. I am all about motivating others, and the more I log food, and exercise and more weight I lose.. the more motivating I can be to others.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    I think the friends help a little bit, but its more about being involved in the MFP community. The more involved you become with this website as far as the people and forums, the more informed and motivated you become about choosing a healthy lifestyle.
  • docturtle
    docturtle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Making my food diary public to my fitness pals helps me to think more about what I am eating and drinking because my pals can view it! It also motivates me to workout when I see my pals have done their workouts.
  • ScottCadi
    Options
    Yup! I get updates from people that make me chuckle, motivate me, get me to motivate them and generally just maintain my grip on this new lifestyle I've chosen.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    yes because if i see they have all exercised and i didn,t feel like going it makes me want to get out there and do a big burn but you do need good friends who interact and comment i delete people who never comment or encourage me

plus if you check the success stories and see somebody who started at your weight and they have a really great toned body that spurs you on because you then realise it can be done and that you can do it too
  • Copperycat
    Copperycat Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! The support you get is great and I get inspired by others achievements, which motivates me to do more.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I can't say they help me lose weight, but it's nice getting acknowledgements for weight loss and hard workouts. Plus knowing that I have friends who can view my diary each night and can see my calorie burns, helps me to make wiser choices.

I agree with this. Sure I've been on diets before but having friends on MFP is helping me to keep on keeping on. And reading through the forums keeps me entertained and focused on my goals.
  • virgi51
    virgi51 Posts: 1
    Options
    My friend Arlin help me to keep in control with my weight.:drinker: :flowerforyou: :yawn: :laugh:
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    no
  • KNarrainen
    KNarrainen Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I find it really helps, it makes you think, and they can be great at motivating or just supporting you.

But even if you're not sure , why not try it, what have you got to lose, if they don't add something you;ve lost noting and if you're not happy after you've tried then just delete them all, nothing lost.
  • logicandlove
    logicandlove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It helps me on days like today when I don't feel like getting up and going to the gym because I have to go to work in 4 hours...but I hold myself accountable to my MFP friends, and it feels good knowing that people can see the progress you've made
  • marthathebear
    Options
    I think it keeps you accountable to others.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    No, I just have friends here to tell me that I am hot.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    If you pick friends who have the same goals you do (weight loss, weight gain, muscle building, etc.) I do believe that the support system your MFP friends provide help you reach your goal. For me they are critical - I left MFP for a few months and then came back...I realized (for me) that the support system was critical in holding me accountable for my choices.

Just my thoughts....Good luck!
  • scottg1024
    scottg1024 Posts: 224
    Options
    For me they help in that they keep me on here, which encourages me to log everything I eat. The downside is that I end up here instead of going to the gym.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    depends.... I ended up with some MFP friends that live really close by so you may find work out buddies who can recommend gyms, studios, walking trails, etc.
  • jennajocummings
    Options
    Everyone who sits on MFP all day should have a computer that's powered by manual labor like a bike. JM2C's. =)
  • Jimmytreatingtons
    Jimmytreatingtons Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I think it does. It gives you food and exercise ideas and your buddies are there to help you when you need to ask a question or something is puzzling you.