"BLACK or AFRICAN AMERICAN" mainly a question...

Options

Replies

• fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I'd like a world where we're just people. Plain ole folks, who cares what color you are.
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    You asked for thoughts from "older" people and I qualify on that account. It is an interesting and important question. Way back when -- I'm thinking back to way before you were even born, the terms were either "people of color" or "Negros." But at that time, Caucasians were typically called "white." Now, I'm actually no more "white" than you are "black." I was always told my complexion was olive, which always upset me because it made me think of a sickly green shade. Yuch! And you, your hair is more black than your complexion. Actually, my hair was the same color as yours before it turned gray.

It was sometime in the 1960s as I recall that it was thought that if Caucasians were white, then Negros would insist on being called black. That was also the beginning of the phrase "black pride." A decade or so later, about the time the TV mini-series "Roots" came out, someone decided that black pride needed to incorporate a pride in the African continent. With that, came the African-American label. Why? We don't refer to Irish-Americans, German-Americans, Polish-Americans. But, the term stuck and left many with the same question you have. What term should we use? Besides, it seems silly to refer to anyone by a continent. There are many countries on that continent and it certainly makes a difference which part of Africa ones ancestors lived in just as there is a difference in racial traits between people from the USA and people from Mexico even though both are technically from the North American continent.

As for me, I try not to use any term except American, or American Citizen. Our census forms ask for race -- I write "American Citizen." Race or the continent of one's ancestors going back dozens of generations shouldn't matter, period! Sadly, it does. Maybe some day we can all just be people.

Of course, this is only my thoughts on the topic. I'm certain that others think differently and that's okay, too. Especially for those of different races. There is no way I can ever share the experiences of people in another race so I can't possibly wrap my thoughts around how other think and feel. Please forgive this shortcoming in me.

Awesome post!
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    At my last job the African Americans got angry at you if referred to them as black. When I started my new job the Black people were offended to be called African American. As a rule of thumb I use AA for over 40 and B for under 40.
  • musiche
    musiche Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    When did colours get so offensive? Lol

I, personally, am white in some places, tan-brown in others. My cheeks turn pink when I exercise. My hair is black. My eyes are green...
  • fighterdiva
    fighterdiva Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I personally do not want to be referred to as African American. Here is why...I do not hold a belief that all "Black" people are decendants of Africa. Plenty of people from countries such as the Dominican Replublic identify as "Black" even though they speak Spanish and are of "mixed" heritage. That is just one example. Myself personally...I identify as "black" but my great grand-father was in fact of Irish (white) descent. My father's father was hispanic. I feel that most "black" people are many things so to be labeled from Africa automatically is not ok to me. I don't get terribly offended when called African American because I know most people are meerly attempting to be politically correct. Howeverm those that I am close with I let them know I prefer Black. I think the term "black" also partially refers to our skin complexion (which is really brown...lol), but this is less offensive to me because as I stated before plenty of other nationalities (such as Dominicans) have dark skin besides "black" people. That's just my two cents.

Those of us from the Dominican or Panama or any of the Latin Countries are still of African decent and were brought over on the same slave ships. "Same ship different stop" is what my grandfather used to say.

I can understand that statement but if you are of Dominican descent but were born in American...do you really want to be called African-American by default? Did you come from Africa directly? That is all I am saying.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Exactly who does the NAACP encompass now????
  • fatboypup
    Options
    How about instead of any term you just call people by their name?

Hi Steve. Hi Michelle. etc.

screw steve and michelle ....... im rollin wit DeQuanna, Sharkeisha, LaDarrius, Shamyra, Marketta, Shontella, LaRochelle, Shandrika, Charmonique, Myosha, LaKeisha, DeQuan, Rhondella, Raviona, Rominthia, Tomika, LaVenia, Trishela, LaTasha, Tyeisha, and Traevion
  • danilee1020
    danilee1020 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am not racist either, i am fair.
    Whew. Glad you said that. It's always best for white people who use the "n word" to follow-up with, "I'm not racist either".
    Referring to the time that I was insulted racially and fought fire w/fire. It really shows that either you have never been close friends with anyone black, or maybe they were raised different and don't use the word. IDK.
  • EyeLikeTacos
    Options
    At my last job the African Americans got angry at you if referred to them as black. When I started my new job the Black people were offended to be called African American. As a rule of thumb I use AA for over 40 and B for under 40.

LOL!

you are a trip!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I am sick and tired of everyone saying they are something then american. If you live or were born in this country you are american.

If i was in germany would I say i'm ameican german?? See how stoopid that sounds! And yes I spelled it that way for a reason.
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

My job requires describing strangers.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I think that regardless of their preference, calling them an African American when you have to trace their family tree back about 8 or more generations to get to someone who was actually from Africa makes that title just plain silly. If you trace my ancestry back far enough you'll get to someone from France (back to the early 1800s). But I'm not a French American.
  • fighterdiva
    fighterdiva Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Very few of us come from Africa directly. I personally use the term Black Latina to describe myself. I don't feel the need for the Afro or African prefix.
  • fatboypup
    Options
    Mexican Americans took over "brown" ya'll shouldn't have waffled so long now you gots to be "black"
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options

screw steve and michelle ....... im rollin wit DeQuanna, Sharkeisha, LaDarrius, Shamyra, Marketta, Shontella, LaRochelle, Shandrika, Charmonique, Myosha, LaKeisha, DeQuan, Rhondella, Raviona, Rominthia, Tomika, LaVenia, Trishela, LaTasha, Tyeisha, and Traevion
    but what about laruthaliyn?
  • EyeLikeTacos
    Options
    I am not racist either, i am fair.
    Whew. Glad you said that. It's always best for white people who use the "n word" to follow-up with, "I'm not racist either".
    Referring to the time that I was insulted racially and fought fire w/fire. It really shows that either you have never been close friends with anyone black, or maybe they were raised different and don't use the word. IDK.
    Danilee...I will go out on a limb and defend you for a second...

I totally get what you mean..There are few ...I mean a few white people who have been around black people soo damn long..it's as iff they are now part of the family...I myself have a white friend who we call the n word too..and he is allowed to use it among me and my family and friends...he is trully a black man in a white man's body...AND get this ...he from Texas.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I call all the white people I see, European Americans.
    Barring that I call them crackers.

hey there UK, I'm looking at you.
  • Sexy5Footer
    Options
    ....for the Older generation. I know this is a weight loss site, but i know there's a diverse group of ppl here who i can get responses from. With that being said, why is it that some "ppl of colour" get upset when they are referred to as BLACK instead of AFRICAN AMERICAN. Maybe i hvnt spent enough time in history class, but i am black, whts the big difference?

Me myself, I prefer being called African American. The title "African American" does sounnd a little friendlier to me. The term "Black" seems offensive, dirty, a spot, something of no beauty.... when in fact to me African American people are very beautiful. we have many shades of skin color, eye color (non contact lens I mean LOL), our hair grades are different and vary in color and texture...we are beautiful!!! "African American" to me just states that our heritage many generations ago took us back to the African decent, but now we are Americanized.

This is MY opinion and the way I view things personally.
  • fatboypup
    Options

but what about laruthaliyn?
    she missed da bus
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

the point of this thread is determine what black/african americans should be called. not about interacting with an individual person. of course you call an individual by their name.

but we need a term for when they are beind dscussed as a group...like for the upcoming election...How much of the black/african american vote can Romney get?

i tend to use both terms but i use AA much more frequently.