Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

"BLACK or AFRICAN AMERICAN" mainly a question...

Replies

• zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    LOL funny I have always thought this. Not every black person is African American. Hell a white person can be African American. I am called white (even though I am more of a peach color:tongue:) and I dont care if people call me white instead of Hungarian American. If you are born in America then you are just American in my book.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    I'm half black, half gay, and I really don't care what you call me, as long as you........

CALL ME MAYBE o^_______________________^o;;;;;;;;;
  • danilee1020
    danilee1020 Posts: 85 Member
    I am not racist either, i am fair.
    Whew. Glad you said that. It's always best for white people who use the "n word" to follow-up with, "I'm not racist either".
    Referring to the time that I was insulted racially and fought fire w/fire. It really shows that either you have never been close friends with anyone black, or maybe they were raised different and don't use the word. IDK.
    Danilee...I will go out on a limb and defend you for a second...

I totally get what you mean..There are few ...I mean a few white people who have been around black people soo damn long..it's as iff they are now part of the family...I myself have a white friend who we call the n word too..and he is allowed to use it among me and my family and friends...he is trully a black man in a white man's body...AND get this ...he from Texas.

Thank you :) I guess that some people just can't understand.
  • skyblu263
    skyblu263 Posts: 91 Member
    *throws feet up on desk* who brought the popcorn?

HAHA!!!! HILARIOUS!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Referring to the time that I was insulted racially and fought fire w/fire. It really shows that either you have never been close friends with anyone black, or maybe they were raised different and don't use the word. IDK.
    I have many black friends, and I have my whole life. I've never used that word and none of them have called me the n word either.

I never called you a racist. I just find in humorous when someone feels like they have to say, "I'm not a racist" when it's preceeded with some deragatory racial slur or followed by one.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    I am not racist either, i am fair.
    Whew. Glad you said that. It's always best for white people who use the "n word" to follow-up with, "I'm not racist either".

I totally get what you mean..There are few ...I mean a few white people who have been around black people soo damn long..it's as iff they are now part of the family...I myself have a white friend who we call the n word too..and he is allowed to use it among me and my family and friends...he is trully a black man in a white man's body...AND get this ...he from Texas.

Thank you :) I guess that some people just can't understand.

As a white woman who has black family members, no I don't understand.
  • I personally do not want to be referred to as African American. Here is why...I do not hold a belief that all "Black" people are decendants of Africa. Plenty of people from countries such as the Dominican Replublic identify as "Black" even though they speak Spanish and are of "mixed" heritage. That is just one example. Myself personally...I identify as "black" but my great grand-father was in fact of Irish (white) descent. My father's father was hispanic. I feel that most "black" people are many things so to be labeled from Africa automatically is not ok to me. I don't get terribly offended when called African American because I know most people are meerly attempting to be politically correct. Howeverm those that I am close with I let them know I prefer Black. I think the term "black" also partially refers to our skin complexion (which is really brown...lol), but this is less offensive to me because as I stated before plenty of other nationalities (such as Dominicans) have dark skin besides "black" people. That's just my two cents.

Those of us from the Dominican or Panama or any of the Latin Countries are still of African decent and were brought over on the same slave ships. "Same ship different stop" is what my grandfather used to say.

This quote right above is correct!!!! Taken all African American and Latino history courses I can possibly take and all the books same the same exact thing. If Latinos really believe that they and I mean ALL Latin countries do not have African ancestors in their bloodline, than you really need to investigate and make it your business to educate yourself on your history. As a BlackLatina woman to be called PuertoRican annoys me because the translation of those two words means (Rich Port). I for one do look like a dock where ships can harbor on. lmao! All kidding aside, if you don't know your real history, that's just a damn shame. I'm just saying!: tongue:

I can understand that statement but if you are of Dominican descent but were born in American...do you really want to be called African-American by default? Did you come from Africa directly? That is all I am saying.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    ....for the Older generation. I know this is a weight loss site, but i know there's a diverse group of ppl here who i can get responses from. With that being said, why is it that some "ppl of colour" get upset when they are referred to as BLACK instead of AFRICAN AMERICAN. Maybe i hvnt spent enough time in history class, but i am black, whts the big difference?

My good friend in college said, "I am black I was not born in Africa, so I am not African American" lol
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member

It's one thing if she uses it with her friends because they're like family. She called strangers the n word because they pissed her off. Not cool.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    All my black friends are black except one that immigrated to the United States from Africa. He is the only one that refers to himself as an African American. That makes sense to me.
  • skyblu263
    skyblu263 Posts: 91 Member
    You asked for thoughts from "older" people and I qualify on that account. It is an interesting and important question. Way back when -- I'm thinking back to way before you were even born, the terms were either "people of color" or "Negros." But at that time, Caucasians were typically called "white." Now, I'm actually no more "white" than you are "black." I was always told my complexion was olive, which always upset me because it made me think of a sickly green shade. Yuch! And you, your hair is more black than your complexion. Actually, my hair was the same color as yours before it turned gray.

It was sometime in the 1960s as I recall that it was thought that if Caucasians were white, then Negros would insist on being called black. That was also the beginning of the phrase "black pride." A decade or so later, about the time the TV mini-series "Roots" came out, someone decided that black pride needed to incorporate a pride in the African continent. With that, came the African-American label. Why? We don't refer to Irish-Americans, German-Americans, Polish-Americans. But, the term stuck and left many with the same question you have. What term should we use? Besides, it seems silly to refer to anyone by a continent. There are many countries on that continent and it certainly makes a difference which part of Africa ones ancestors lived in just as there is a difference in racial traits between people from the USA and people from Mexico even though both are technically from the North American continent.

As for me, I try not to use any term except American, or American Citizen. Our census forms ask for race -- I write "American Citizen." Race or the continent of one's ancestors going back dozens of generations shouldn't matter, period! Sadly, it does. Maybe some day we can all just be people.

Of course, this is only my thoughts on the topic. I'm certain that others think differently and that's okay, too. Especially for those of different races. There is no way I can ever share the experiences of people in another race so I can't possibly wrap my thoughts around how other think and feel. Please forgive this shortcoming in me.

Awesome post!

Kick butt post!!!!!!
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    I have many black friends, and I have my whole life. I've never used that word and none of them have called me the n word either.

I never called you a racist. I just find in humorous when someone feels like they have to say, "I'm not a racist" when it's preceeded with some deragatory racial slur or followed by one.

It's pretty rare macpatti....

but it does happen...there are "some" white people who have just been part of the black community for so long...that the N word is used with them as if they are part of the community....
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    ....for the Older generation. I know this is a weight loss site, but i know there's a diverse group of ppl here who i can get responses from. With that being said, why is it that some "ppl of colour" get upset when they are referred to as BLACK instead of AFRICAN AMERICAN. Maybe i hvnt spent enough time in history class, but i am black, whts the big difference?

All my black friends refer to themselves as black and so do I... the African-American thing was kinda 90's political correctness, but I really don't hear anyone use the term or any of my black friends have an issue with being referred to as black anymore than I do with being white... it's a description, not an insult.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    I always thought "ppl of colour" was more offensive.

And technically, can you really call a "person of colour" an African-American since Americans don't spell color that way anyway?

Sorry... just picking on you a bit.

Funnily enough, even in Canada where we spell it "colour", black people are often referred to as "African Americans" even though they are usually neither African nor American.

Which is why I say black.

I really don't see how that is offensive seeing as how white people are called "white" 99% of the time. It's doesn't offend me.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Can I just say as well that most Black people in AMERICA have NEVER even been to Africa...I know I sure haven't!

Upon meeting a member of my choir my father says: "SO! What part of Africa are you from?"

My poor fellow choir member looked at him, smiled politely and said: "I'm from Canada."

D'OH! I just about died on the spot. My poor dad is just really, really clueless.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    African-American came into popularity during the error of "political correctness" back in the 90's. I call myself black. I'm young, gifted, and BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)))))

All of my black friends seem to prefer being called black.
    The "African American" thing never did make much sense to me. Nearly every American today is descended from people who were from other countries. We're all American, no matter what color we are.
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member

It's one thing if she uses it with her friends because they're like family. She called strangers the n word because they pissed her off. Not cool.

OH yea...Not cool...ONLY with your closest...I mean CLOSEST friends and family....because you don't want to cause an unnecesary azz whoppin
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    I am neither "black" nor "African-American", so I can't say my opinion is all that important on the subject.

However, I have always wondered why "African-American" is even a thing. I mean, many "black" people are not from Africa, many "black" people are not American, many African people are not "black" (Charlize Theron and Oskar Pistorius are two that jump to mind), many Americans who are of African descent are not "black", and so on.

I don't have a problem with it, I just don't get it...it vexes me linguistically...
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    ok, so someone who is from South Africa, they are of dutch decent. They immigrate to the USA. Are they African American?

22320830.jpg
  • Marianeyda
    Marianeyda Posts: 60 Member
    *throws feet up on desk* who brought the popcorn?

need some hot sauce!!