skinny is[n't always] healthy

2»

Replies

• princessquitealot
    princessquitealot Posts: 58 Member
    You are absolutely correct....skinny isnt always healthy...thank you for the reminder.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    How tall are you exactly that you were too skinny at 161? That kind of rants piss me off. I am 5'6 127 and want to drop to around 120 (for estetic reasons, I won't lie). And I am not nor will be too skinny at that weight. People are different and just because you were not eating right and felt like crap when you were thin does not mean everybody is. It pisses me off how easily people trash those who are slim and how easily it comes to some to call someone anorectic, yet "fat" is almost an swearword. It's not the "skinny" that is a problem but bad eating habbits.

I'm sorry of my use of the word anorexic offended you, but I used it in its medical scene - for the neuritic and obsessive way I purposely starved myself. I have nothing against healthy thin women, look at so many that participate in this site! They're all an inspiration. My complaint is merely on the frivolous and inaccurate way people judge what is healthy. It's true, they weren't living in my home, seeing my empty pantry shelves, seeing me hurt myself in punishment when I did eat - but I still feel, when people tell me they want me to be healthy again, referring to that point in my life, it just infuriates me. Especially while I'm this weight loss journey now. Why not tell me to "keep getting healthy" instead?
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    :drinker: keep getting healthy! I'm trying really hard today!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Yup. When people don't realize you lost weight by starving yourself, they think skinny=healthy. Fortunately, I made no secret of how I was losing when I was crash dieting and my family would raise holy heck if they thought I was doing it again. But strangers and coworkers and people who weren't close friends never had a clue until I dropped into the underweight category.

If they saw me now, they'd think I 'really let myself go'. Well, I did. But that wasn't less healthy than keeping hold of myself with an iron fist to lose weight through starvation diets. I'm trying like crazy to do it right this time, but I'm not a patient person, and it's hard.
  • OhKelsey1
    OhKelsey1 Posts: 139
    How tall are you exactly that you were too skinny at 161? That kind of rants piss me off. I am 5'6 127 and want to drop to around 120 (for estetic reasons, I won't lie). And I am not nor will be too skinny at that weight. People are different and just because you were not eating right and felt like crap when you were thin does not mean everybody is. It pisses me off how easily people trash those who are slim and how easily it comes to some to call someone anorectic, yet "fat" is almost an swearword. It's not the "skinny" that is a problem but bad eating habbits.

Um. Did you read her post?

OP, I know exactly what you mean. I had a friend who used to bash on heavy people, and of course she was an absolute stick, but she was also one of those that could eat taco bell three times a day and not even have a food baby. I told her once she actually lived the lifestyle she looked like she lived, she could start judging other people for being unhealthy. It gets frustrating!
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Thank you for posting this! I also disagree that just because someone is skinny means they are healthy!
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member

I'm not saying that the OP had an eating disorder, this is just a passing comment- you don't need to be 80lbs to have an eating disorder. People of all weights suffer from it too. I do understand where you're coming form when people say skinny like it's a bad word (I don't believe the OP was doing that though).
    I'm 5'11 and at my lowest weighed 118, which was too thin looking back, and I definitely didn't have healthy eating habits (I was 16/17 at the time and would never eat more than 800 calories a day). I aim to get to 130 now so that's 15lbs to lose, but more importantly I want to get FIT, like the OP does (: I want abs and I want to feel as good as I look. That's more important than the number on the scale and after having an eating disorder since I was 12, I never thought i'd say that. Myfitnesspal literally saved me from continuing that lifestyle, as stupid as that sounds haha.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Don't jump down my throat for this, but it sounds like you have a slightly unhealthy attitude towards food. You can easily get back to 160 by eating healthily, that isn't an unreasonable weight unless you are over 6ft tall.

That's what she said. Read the whole post.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Best wishes on your journey. It's hard work, but I agree. I'll take healthy over skinny any day of the week!
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Here's the tricky thing -- low-calorie with optimal nutrition is good for you. In fact, it's the only way proven way to length one's maximal lifespan. So low calorie is NOT bad AT ALL -- only when it is coupled with (1) disregard of nutrition (you need nutrients even if you're on a low-calorie diet) and (2) mental health issues (such as body dysmorphic disorder and the like).
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    I know what you mean, I've lost weight by insanely low calorie diets and people are like "why don't you do what you did before ot lose weight, you looked so good" but it was a terrible way to diet. I'd rather improve my relationship with food so I can eat well forever than starve for three months.
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member

I'm sorry of my use of the word anorexic offended you, but I used it in its medical scene - for the neuritic and obsessive way I purposely starved myself. I have nothing against healthy thin women, look at so many that participate in this site! They're all an inspiration. My complaint is merely on the frivolous and inaccurate way people judge what is healthy. It's true, they weren't living in my home, seeing my empty pantry shelves, seeing me hurt myself in punishment when I did eat - but I still feel, when people tell me they want me to be healthy again, referring to that point in my life, it just infuriates me. Especially while I'm this weight loss journey now. Why not tell me to "keep getting healthy" instead?

I guess I did not understand your post correctily than. Sorry for getting all worked up. I guess tehy simply didn't know how you got to that weight than and simply wished you well. Anyway, you're right. Healthy way is the best way to do it. All the best on your journey! Fingers crossed!
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member

I'm not saying that the OP had an eating disorder, this is just a passing comment- you don't need to be 80lbs to have an eating disorder. People of all weights suffer from it too. I do understand where you're coming form when people say skinny like it's a bad word (I don't believe the OP was doing that though).
    I'm 5'11 and at my lowest weighed 118, which was too thin looking back, and I definitely didn't have healthy eating habits (I was 16/17 at the time and would never eat more than 800 calories a day). I aim to get to 130 now so that's 15lbs to lose, but more importantly I want to get FIT, like the OP does (: I want abs and I want to feel as good as I look. That's more important than the number on the scale and after having an eating disorder since I was 12, I never thought i'd say that. Myfitnesspal literally saved me from continuing that lifestyle, as stupid as that sounds haha.

Yes, I guess I read her post and did not get what she really ment at first. But yes, I get where you are comming from too. Best wishes on your journey!
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    I was 125 lbs at 5'7 in 2006 but after I got married I started to eat mornally and gained 55 lbs in almost 5 years. I am trying to lose 20 pounds to get to 160 lbs for now and then maybe later try to get to 150 lbs.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Bump
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Bump
  • EAlexandraB
    EAlexandraB Posts: 98 Member
    BUT I SWEAR ON ALL THAT IS HOLY! IF ONE MORE PERSON TELLS ME THEY WANT ME TO BE "HEALTHY AGAIN" like i "USED TO BE" i just might eat their children!!!!!!

Don't eat their children - children are notoriously high in calories.

:tongue:
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    BUT I SWEAR ON ALL THAT IS HOLY! IF ONE MORE PERSON TELLS ME THEY WANT ME TO BE "HEALTHY AGAIN" like i "USED TO BE" i just might eat their children!!!!!!

Don't eat their children - children are notoriously high in calories.

:tongue:

Yay, someone thinks I'm funny!
  • SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    I feel the same as you, Im 5ft 7 and used to weigh under 10st and wore a size UK 8 but got to that weight by having less than 1000 a day and working out/swimming 3 hours a day. If I ate something "bad" I'd puke. Everyone thought I looked great with my skinny legs and gaunt face...
    I'm over 13st now (gained 3st since meeting and living with my fiancé :laugh: ) he knew me when I was small and has seen me at my biggest too.
    If you ever need someone to rant at/with I'm here :flowerforyou:

Alexis