Miles Walked per Week/Month

Options
Hi there.

I have tried and tried and just can't get into running, which is a pain in the *kitten* as I know it's a great fatbuster.

So I'm going to keep up the walking - well, it helped me lose my first 42 pounds!

My question is this - are there any walkers out there (not of the zombie variety) and, if so, do you have any goals (ie, miles walked per week/month). I have two good 3 mile and 4 mile walks that I regularly do, and I walk 3.5 mph. I also have a treadmill, which will be handy in the winter as I live in Scotland!

I was thinking 10 miles a week? Or upping the goals and going for 50 miles a month.

Any thoughts?

Tickateeboo xx

Replies

• skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    Walking is a great exercise. You don't have to run.

I walk on average a few miles a day with my work. When the weather isn't bad I take my own dogs out.

Don't let anyone on here tell you that you have to run. Walking is good and it's something you can stick with your whole life. Do what you are comfortable with and enjoy it. It's really good for clearing your mind.
  • sisterphonetica
    sisterphonetica Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm in Scotland too. I walk to work and back every day (4 day week), so that's 8 per week without even thinking. Could you factor something like that in?
  • sfgonzales
    sfgonzales Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I try to get in 5 miles a day.
  • CALABRESE3
    CALABRESE3 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I do this too and its been working so far:) It feels good also!
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I dream of going to Scotland after my degree!

I currently walk my road which is a mile down and a mile back, so about 2 miles a day, but I do plan to increase it by 2 miles weekly or every other week.
  • jenf235
    jenf235 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I started aiming for 40 miles a month, then upped it to 45, and and now working on 50. I'm a teacher and summer vacation is ending soon. :( I think it may be hard to continue with a goal of 50 miles per month as I do not have a treadmill and live in an area where it is going to start getting dark earlier and cold...I think I am going to strive for still getting at least 30 miles in, and will have to fall back on my Walk Away the Pounds Videos for those cold winter months.
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    As of right now I am up too 37.4 miles walked this month. I walk 3 miles, 4-5 times a week. It's working for me so far. I am going to keep doing what works. If you are into Zombies, check out the app Zombies!Run. To track my walks, I use Mapmyrun. Mapmyrun can be used as an app or on the computer.
  • charitas32
    Options
    I walk, mainly because I have small children and I can walk with them, pushing a pram. I've noticed a difference this week walking uphill, hint if a road has gyll in it's name it is not flat, to drop my oldest off at a playscheme it has definately had a bigger effect on my bum. When he starts schoolI am going to try and include uphill stretches in my walks whilst his little brother sleeps ( laughs hollowly at thought of her children sleeping).

I also walk because my knees ache in a morning and I want to lose more weight before I even contemplate running, but I enjoy walking and can fit it in my day easily. I am also planning some longer hikes of 10+ miles, pre kids I'd do 15-17 miles at the weekend and I really miss it.

Maybe we could aim to see how long it takes to do the equivalent of a famous walk like the West Highlands way
  • Waszo
    Waszo Posts: 41
    Options
    I walk between 2 - 5 miles a day around the parking lots at work 5 days a week. A Dr. at the weight loss clinic I go to told our class that if you exercise hard ( cannot hold a conversation) your body burns carbs. If you exercise easy ( can hold a conversation ) 3.5 mph walking your body burns fat cells. He said you need to do both.FYI He is a research Dr. who specializes in the study of human muscles. It was a great lecture that he gave. At least 20 min at a time.So I walk & do strength training . I have lost 41 lbs. & have a whole lot more to lose. So keep up the good work. You are doing great.
  • Tickateeboo
    Tickateeboo Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm in Scotland too. I walk to work and back every day (4 day week), so that's 8 per week without even thinking. Could you factor something like that in?

Hi Sis!

Well, I live in the country, so have to drive 50 miles a day to get to work, but my job does sometimes get me out and moving about. Being in the country, I do get some lovely views on my walks, one of them is through woodland.

And this is the thing. Today, I put Elgar on my ipod and walked 3 miles - I do enjoy the walks and they do calm me and get to work on my imagination and day-dreaming.

We do sometimes 'go into town' every day, which is 20 minutes of walking, at lunchtime when we're in the office. There's a grocers there, so rather than nip to Greggs I can walk in just for an apple and chomp it on the way back! :wink:
  • Tickateeboo
    Options
    Walking is a great exercise. You don't have to run.

I walk on average a few miles a day with my work. When the weather isn't bad I take my own dogs out.

Don't let anyone on here tell you that you have to run. Walking is good and it's something you can stick with your whole life. Do what you are comfortable with and enjoy it. It's really good for clearing your mind.

Hi Skonly,

Yes, I know this may seem a tad obvious, but I find running just too exhausting - I'm currently 11 stone 6 and 5 foot 6 - so I'm no giant of a woman, but I guess it's all about being healthy. It also turns my legs to jelly. That's the worst part for me.

I would love to get that epiphany moment when I'm running and think 'WOW - this is amazing, I am now Forrest Gump' - but no. Not yet, anyway! The most successful time I had running - when I managed to keep it up for 30 minutes (I say run, there were times when I could have walked faster) - was when I had a running partner. I think that is the key to success for running. With me, anyway.

Plus running does actually put stress on the joints. Almost everyone I know who does running regularly gets injuries at least once a year.
  • Tickateeboo
    Options

Wow - that's 35 miles a week! 140+ miles a month!

Well done. I honestly would do it for longer if I had the time.
  • Tickateeboo
    Options
    I dream of going to Scotland after my degree!

I currently walk my road which is a mile down and a mile back, so about 2 miles a day, but I do plan to increase it by 2 miles weekly or every other week.

Hi!

Yes, Scotland is a lovely place to live. I was in Edinburgh today and the Fringe was on and the place was heaving!

When I started walking when I weighed nearly 200 pounds I did 3 miles in 60 minutes. I can now do it in 51 minutes. Small steps as they say...

Today, I was looking at google maps and measuring distances and was even contemplating doing a 10 miler for some point in the future! I think I'll take a mini-picnic for that one. :happy:
  • Tickateeboo
    Options
    I walk between 2 - 5 miles a day around the parking lots at work 5 days a week. A Dr. at the weight loss clinic I go to told our class that if you exercise hard ( cannot hold a conversation) your body burns carbs. If you exercise easy ( can hold a conversation ) 3.5 mph walking your body burns fat cells. He said you need to do both.FYI He is a research Dr. who specializes in the study of human muscles. It was a great lecture that he gave. At least 20 min at a time.So I walk & do strength training . I have lost 41 lbs. & have a whole lot more to lose. So keep up the good work. You are doing great.

Hi Waszo,

That's really interesting. I lost 42 pounds and I didn't go to a gym or do any other exercise other than walking and it seemed to work.

So I guess I need to keep burning those fat cells and - well - er - avoid carbs...:wink:

Seriously, though, I think I need to get some strength training in to blast out the last 20 pounds off my thighs and bum.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    would like to run...because of bad feet I can't so I walk about 3mile at a brisk pace every other day. It's working fine for me. Also for anybody who doesn't know you can use google earth to map out your walk and tell you how many miles you will be doing and then you can store it.
  • Tickateeboo
    Options
    I walk, mainly because I have small children and I can walk with them, pushing a pram. I've noticed a difference this week walking uphill, hint if a road has gyll in it's name it is not flat, to drop my oldest off at a playscheme it has definately had a bigger effect on my bum. When he starts schoolI am going to try and include uphill stretches in my walks whilst his little brother sleeps ( laughs hollowly at thought of her children sleeping).

I also walk because my knees ache in a morning and I want to lose more weight before I even contemplate running, but I enjoy walking and can fit it in my day easily. I am also planning some longer hikes of 10+ miles, pre kids I'd do 15-17 miles at the weekend and I really miss it.

Maybe we could aim to see how long it takes to do the equivalent of a famous walk like the West Highlands way

Hi there,

Yes! I figured it would take me about 2.5 hours - 3 hours to get a 10 miler in. I think anything more would be a week-end affair!
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    i walk/run between 20-25 miles per week my routes are between 3.5 and 7 miles and i do them at a 4 mile to 5 mile pace depending how much of it i can run as i have a problem with my inflamed si joint the 7 miler i do just walk and it takes me 100 mins if done regular walking is a great fat burner
  • sisterphonetica
    sisterphonetica Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    would like to run...because of bad feet I can't so I walk about 3mile at a brisk pace every other day. It's working fine for me. Also for anybody who doesn't know you can use google earth to map out your walk and tell you how many miles you will be doing and then you can store it.

Hey, I have bad feet too (rheumatoid arthritis). There's no way I can run but walking I can do most of the time. My ambition is to find shoes that allow me to do Zumba and DANCE !
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Tickateeboo
    Options

Hi Punkmom (cool name btw),

Yes, apart from the obvious 'boobs all over the damn place' thing, I have a ****y toe, which gives me jip after a while. One thing I have learned from lots of runners is to go to one of those shops and get special trainers designed for your feet. They're quite expensive, but have apparently cured loads of ills and aches that people have and has transformed them. I wonder if I invested in a pair I would force myself to get into running to justify the purchase! :laugh: