Do MFP friends really help you lose more weight?

Options

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I will come over to your house and slap the sandwich out of your hand and replace it with a carrot. Followed by a light beating.

That's what mfp friends do.

Promises, promises....

Sigh
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    SUPPORT=SUCCESS!!
  • HazelCaz
    HazelCaz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Friends can help in tons of ways. Some of them make a great cheering section when I 'm on track, some provide a comparison for just how healthy I'm eating and every day, when my friends start posting their exercise and calories burned, it feels like a kick in the pants to get a move on myself. They are also a great source of information and ideas which help me along the way. I'm fairly new and haven't screwed up yet, but when I do, I'm hoping I've chosen people who will give me a hard time and the encouragement I need to bounce right back.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    80+ lbs lost so far says they do for me...
  • mrsbetancourt
    Options
    I don't have friends either but when I first started a year ago...i lost weight but i regained all of it back... I think the support system motivates you.
  • mrsbetancourt
    Options
    GO NINERS!!
  • pellini76
    pellini76 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yes, for me it helps as Im competitive at heart and I loke to look at my friends food diaries for ideas for low cal meals at times.
  • poll09
    poll09 Posts: 549
    Options
    the support does help x
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I will come over to your house and slap the sandwich out of your hand and replace it with a carrot. Followed by a light beating.

That's what mfp friends do.

I wouldn't say they've helped me lose the weight, per sé, because I've had to put in the work. It's comments like these, however, that keep me coming back every day! If not for my friends on here, I probably would have stopped logging a long time ago because it's tedious.
  • SenshiV
    SenshiV Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Of course they/we don't help anybody loose weight that's all on you guys ^^. Support, encouragement, stuff like that is a yay!
  • ClintonnIsBlessed
    Options
    I would venture to say YES. I enjoy meeting new people and having a good solid support base. Losing weight is hard enough in and of itself, why would anyone want to go at it all alone.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Not me. They entertain me when I'm bored.

Yeah, this. If anything, seeing some of the dietary habits of *some* of my friends would lead me to consider those foods more than steer me away from them. I don't think about pizza or ice cream unless people are talking about it...and next thing you know, I'm thinking about it.

...I all of a sudden have a craving for pizza tonight... damnit J!

See what I mean?
  • carhicks
    carhicks Posts: 1,924 Member
    Options
    As a fellow Canuck, I will say, YES!. It keeps me motivated, they celebrate my successes, console me when things are going bad in diet as well as life and are just fun to read posts from. I got into challenges with my MFP friends and that has really helped.
  • mjohnson1999
    mjohnson1999 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I really think this is a great social network... the friends I have made show major encouragement. They help me with accountability and when I see them motivated doing exercise it gets me motivated too.
  • ribena1958
    ribena1958 Posts: 152
    Options
    Yes! to give encouragement and receive it is awesome, also to say the right things and give people hope when they feel they have lost it that day or week, or if I have lost the plot, they help me to keep on the straight and narrow, so yes, defo
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Depends, Normally I just like to see what others are doing to compare.
  • pljohnson001
    pljohnson001 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    This can be a very lonesome endeavor, but being on MFP, I NEVER feel as isolated as when I try/tried to do it on my own. Also, I can ask questions and read others' blogs, and I can obsess about my program, my progress, my foibles without my loved ones having to be dragged into it.
  • graveflower316
    graveflower316 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I think when it comes to the diary, having a support system who can see what you're logging does motivate me to eat healthier. I feel that they will give me advice/encouragement when I stray from my goals, and I also tend to not eat things I feel I will be embarrassed by eating (like corn dogs late at night... when I clearly dont need them). So, I'd say yes.
  • cmcliff2001
    Options
    Currently on my job there are group of us ladies who has been working on a computer program we have been pn this "Island" for a year and a half. Yes I believe that MFP friends do help me lose more weight. They started on this and after hearing them talk I decided to join them back in Febuary since then I have lost 28 pounds.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    It's always good to have a support system--and an online one is good when there isn't any real-life support.