harder to loose with age

Options

Replies

• DurhamGuy
    Options
    Im 57 and just started with MFP. Yes its hard and a little painful but I am determined to make changes in my life. Please dont be put off, if an old fatty like me can do it Im sure you can.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Younger people also have knee pain or wrist pain or something. Everyone has something! Work with what you have. You aren't comparing yourself to others; you need to be healthy for yourself. It's not a race or competition.
  • Geraldinefulton
    Options
    Just keep going one day at a time and you will get there. I started, after seeing a nutritionist on July 7th and have lost 12 lbs to date.
    I work full time in an office and am too tired to exercise during the week, so on Saturday and Sunday I put in at least 2 hours of exercise, while I need to do more, that is all I can handle at this time. I eat very healthy food, very limited processed food, lots of vegetables ( fresh ) about 8 oz. protein a day and a limited amount of carbos and fat. I am not hungry as I do have a couple of healthy snacks a day. I have more energy and can notice the weight loss, I am close to breaking through the 200 lb mark, which I haven't seen for several years but am looking forward to hitting 160 lbs. I too have had a couple of rough days but got back on track, each time you do that you get stronger. Be Patient with yourself! Best wishes and keep in touch. I am 73 years old, it is just a number. :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • astargirlpower
    Options
    I am 43. I have found that what i eat, not just how much really matters. I know that everyone is different, but when i keep my carbs around 100 my body seems to melt off the fat. I have only lost 7 pounds so far, but that was in a month so that is pretty good. Last year i ate the same and was jogging, lost 23 pounds but had and injury that derailed me. I know it was just a cop out. I could have continued eating right, but i did not, so now I am starting pretty much over. I wish you great success.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight at age 54. Granted it was a little harder than when I was 25, but I wasn't 55 pounds over weight at age 25.

No execuses, it isn't that hard to do.

Keeping it off is another thing. You'll never be able to go back to your old way of eating. The sooner you accept this, the better.
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm coming up 65 in a few months, I have lost almost 40 lbs in 12 months and never thought it possible. I started walking then found zumba (love it) also have done other exercises that I can fit into my lifestyle and I try to eat 80% healthy and 20% indulgences. I also changed my profile to 40% carbs and 30% fat and protein. I also steer away from too much fructrose and bad sweeteners found in ready desserts and biscuits. try to make your own and cut down on the sugar and don't give up !
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Inspiration to those who want to weight lift but think they are too old

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5om6gbDwA8

Those that don't want to weight lift but still wants to be active and healthy:

Dr. John McDougall and his wife (both in their 70s)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151073280694054&set=a.10151073280509054.459423.50258804053&type=3&theater
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, I am working like a fiend, and I am seeing some progress. Very, very slow progress. I'm adding in supplements to my routine to see if that makes any difference. Perhaps I'm just not absorbing nutrients like I did when I was younger? Who knows!

I may need to give up the wine. :frown:
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Just wait until you actually hit middle age!

I thought the 40's were considered "middle age." Like 40's through 60's are middle age. When you can collect social security and beyond that is considered "old age," at least in medical terms. I'm 42, and this feels like the middle, as in I am not likely to live much beyond my 80's, statistically speaking anyway.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Age is an excuse, not a reason. Is it harder, a little bit. But, you're wiser now. You know that everything you eat has an effect, so you can decide at that moment that you are choosing, if your body needs that food or not.

Last night I felt like I was starving. I searched the cupboards and fridge 25 times looking for something. Fortunately, I no longer buy junk. So, all I had was raw almonds or yogurt. I wound up heating up some brown rice, dicing up some zucchini, and cracking an egg into it for fried rice. That was my night time snack last night.
    Actually, age is a *reason* it's harder. It can be an excuse for not doing it. But yes, it's harder with age. I'm maintaining, and it's taking MUCH more work than it used to.
  • rsboyer59
    rsboyer59 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    yes, I have found it harder as well, I again have started losing weight again once I got on a new med for my diabetes, But I now try and watch my calories and what i'm eating. I also am just looking at 5 lbs at a time. Let me surprise my self once I get below 200. I woke this morning and hit the 210.4 mark so now I look at only getting to 205 and so on. Exercise is a key as well. When I lost last time I was doing at least 2100 calories a week of exercise. My great aunt now 103.5 came to live with me and could not get out like I use to and slowly the weight came back. My job has a lot of walking the unit is 20,000 sq feet and on my feet constantly.
    What I need help is food tips so I can snack all day in 3 hours increments and keep my sugar levels even.:smile:
  • BarbaraC47
    BarbaraC47 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi I am 65 and it is hard to shift the weight. I have been doing Round the World and burning over 1000cals most days and been on a weight loss plateau. I do know my shape is changing and the flab is looser ( but still there) I just have to stick with it and almost forget target dates. Weight loss is a bit like my running very slow but am determined to get there.

I'm 64 and have never exercised, (am about to join a gym) all I have done is calorie control and walk, walk walk. Its better than nothing and at least I get some fresh air!! I hit a plateau for over a month and the only thing that got me going again was a meal out - I ate everything I wanted, over 2,000 calories!! I walked more than ever the rest of the weekend and it worked! I am back to losing 2lbs a week... I guess I fooled my body so I am one happy bunny.

Losing weight is never easy but on here you are never alone, everyone understands and tries to help. Never give up, never surrender!!!
  • cole_carter
    cole_carter Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I am 56 and find it much harder than when I was in my 20's to lose. when starting out with exercise, you might want to start easy and build up. We can sabotage ourselves by not being patient enough
  • Stephanie_Autry
    Stephanie_Autry Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I hear that it's harder to lose weight when you get older, but I'm having a difficult time lowering my BF%. I can drop the pounds but not the fat!!!!!
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    First, make sure you don't have any medical issues. Get a check-up on your thyroid and vitamin levels. I found out I had hypothyroidism when I was 39. Getting treatment helped my energy levels and weight loss.

Don't worry about your age affecting weight loss. You can lose weight and get healthy at any age. I'm healthier and more fit at 41 then at any other time in my life.

Long-term consistency is more important than anything. In order to stay successful, it really has to be a lifestyle change. Don't fret over a day or two of "bad" eating or not exercising. Just get back to a healthy routine. A bad day, week, or month really won't matter in the long run.

Exercises: Focus on low-impact cardio and strength training if your joints are sore. If you hurt everywhere, know that the more you exercise, you'll get in better shape and you'll stop hurting. You'll be amazed at how fast you start to feel better.

I remind myself that time passes regardless. So, I might as well keep working on being healthy.

You can do this. Believe in yourself and just keep at it.

This is true. I found out I am diabetic. The fasting glucose test showed normal. My A1C the doctor (the genius) ran this test also, was high.
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I am 44 and this is so much harder to do this time around. I try to exercise and HURT everywhere,,,, I know what I need to do and trying to get there is just a battle that I seem to be loosing....

Suggestion on activities, exercises or any advice to help me break this bad streak... For every time I loose to 189, I gain it back... ITs driving me nuts. I want to see 160 again... Be healthier....

Have your hormone levels checked. They are the magic that keeps us youthful... and when we age, they can stop working like they used to. I had mine checked and was low. Now I'm on HRT to correct the problem and the difference is night and day. There are times now when I feel like I'm 20 again... :drinker:
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I'm 41, just starting menopause, and I've lost 16 pounds since June. The key for me has been making the best possible choices in food almost 100% of the time. It sucks, but the older you get, the less forgiving it seems your body is. While I used to lose weight when I was younger just be eating less calories, I've found that now the type of calories are critical. I've been doing mostly cardio, 1 hour three to five times a week. For me cardio is stationary bike, elliptical, and tae bo videos. Occasionally I'll do walking hills at 4mph when I've feeling lazy. And food is lots of veggies, fruits, whole grains, good fats and proteins, and plenty of water. I still enjoy the things I love, but I work them into my diary and work out extra so I don't go over calories. I'm having more luck not eating back my exercise calories as much, too. Good luck! There is hope out there!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    55 years old and losing ok.

Eat well
    Lift Heavy
    Protein shakes after work outs

That is what worked for me. My diary is public if you are interested.
  • maureenec
    maureenec Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think there is something to be said about it being more difficult to lose weight with age, or maybe it's just that it seems to be easier to GAIN weight. I've always gotten moderate exercise and eaten pretty well, but since I hit the late 30's the pounds were just accumulating - a few each year to the point where I had gotten to 160 lbs - an all-time high for me. So I had to crank up the exercise and pay even more attention to not only what I was eating, but how much. I'm now working on the last 4 lbs. to get back to 135, and it's taken me a year and a half.

Keep plugging away. Be patient. Your metabolism may my slowing down, so you'll have to crank it up!
  • ezrunnerp
    ezrunnerp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I 'm your age and going through the same weight issues! No matter how much I excercise and watch the calories, the scale won't budge==or it will go down and right back up!!!!

I appreciate (won't say the word glad!) hearing from others that are in the same boat.

Pat