harder to loose with age

Options

Replies

• LisaLouisiana
    LisaLouisiana Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I do calisthenics and I listen to my body. At first I could barely do anything at all and now I've built up to where frankly, I'm amazing myself. I'm building muscle and that is helping take the aches away and the lean muscle mass is burning fat faster than dieting alone. I don't go to a gym and I'm getting the job done despite my 48 years and injured shoulder, hips and knees. It's possible.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    First, make sure you don't have any medical issues. Get a check-up on your thyroid and vitamin levels. I found out I had hypothyroidism when I was 39. Getting treatment helped my energy levels and weight loss.

Don't worry about your age affecting weight loss. You can lose weight and get healthy at any age. I'm healthier and more fit at 41 then at any other time in my life.

Long-term consistency is more important than anything. In order to stay successful, it really has to be a lifestyle change. Don't fret over a day or two of "bad" eating or not exercising. Just get back to a healthy routine. A bad day, week, or month really won't matter in the long run.

Exercises: Focus on low-impact cardio and strength training if your joints are sore. If you hurt everywhere, know that the more you exercise, you'll get in better shape and you'll stop hurting. You'll be amazed at how fast you start to feel better.

I remind myself that time passes regardless. So, I might as well keep working on being healthy.

You can do this. Believe in yourself and just keep at it.

Excellent advice!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I'm 55, IT'S NOT THAT HARD!!!

Eat to fuel (not starve) your body.
    Exercise with weights (2-3x wk for 30-45 min) for fat loss and body composition. Do HIIT 2-3 times a week for cardio (Less IS more!).
    Take a protein source after working out to reduce muscle soreness and magnesium (240 mg) at bedtime to promote sleep and aid in repair of muscle damage.
    Drink more water.
    Stay consistent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    First, make sure you don't have any medical issues. Get a check-up on your thyroid and vitamin levels. I found out I had hypothyroidism when I was 39. Getting treatment helped my energy levels and weight loss.

Don't worry about your age affecting weight loss. You can lose weight and get healthy at any age. I'm healthier and more fit at 41 then at any other time in my life.

Long-term consistency is more important than anything. In order to stay successful, it really has to be a lifestyle change. Don't fret over a day or two of "bad" eating or not exercising. Just get back to a healthy routine. A bad day, week, or month really won't matter in the long run.

Exercises: Focus on low-impact cardio and strength training if your joints are sore. If you hurt everywhere, know that the more you exercise, you'll get in better shape and you'll stop hurting. You'll be amazed at how fast you start to feel better.

I remind myself that time passes regardless. So, I might as well keep working on being healthy.

You can do this. Believe in yourself and just keep at it.

All solid advise, I am 57 and started my lifestyle in Jan 11, You can do it, if you have any joint issues I would recommend water aerobics as well as the items mentioned above. Remember 'worked it hard' sore is good, sharp or range of motion limiting pain is not.
    11612650_5759_thumb.jpg
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I am 58 and look at my ticker. I have been here since the third week of May. If you know its not a medical problem, it will happen. Lower (not no) carbs and moderate exercise. Don't have to knock yourself out. Feel free to friend me, if you wish. :)
  • jeanzbeanz
    Options
    I will be 47 in one month. It's definitely harder and slower, but you can do it.

Get your butt moving every day. It doesn't have to be to the point of exhaustion or hurting. Take a walk, do some yoga, pull weeds in the garden, stretch, swim, do planks, sit-up, lift some weights, use resistance bands - anything. Just keep moving and remember to stretch.

Watch your diet closely - not just for calories, but for fat and salt. Don't deny yourself too much. but don't cheat too much either.

Mine is s.l.o.w but it is happening! :-)
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Find an "Activity" that you enjoy, and then COMMIT to do it Vigorously at least 3 times a week. Consider it a Job and give it the same Discipline and Dedication that you would give your Paying Job. Then focus on Portion Control and adding Fresh Vegetables and Fruit to your Menu.
    :drinker: It probably won't be "Fast" or "Easy" but the Weight WILL come off.

:flowerforyou: Remember to Enjoy The Journey!!!
  • vonnybasset
    Options
    I am 56 and have lost 38 pounds in the last 18 months and have maintained at 131 pounds for the last two.I eat reasonably sensibly and do some exercise each day.This is mostly walking or a stationary bike.
    It has not been easy but if you are determined it can be done.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is harder to lose as you get older, and presumably you are not yet in perimenopause.

Develop longterm strategies. Analyze what you eat, what you can do without. Decide on small changes, for example, can you do without sugar in your coffee? Can you switch to skim milk? Look at your physical activity.

If you decide that health and fitness are your guiding priorities everything else will fall into place in time. A lot of people are crippled because they haven't committed; they have in the back of their minds that they can go back to their old eating and (non) exercise habits once they've lost weight.

BTW, it's "lose," not "loose."
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 and I got serious about changing my eating habits last November; down 51 pounds as of this morning.

I walk my dogs 3-4 miles twice a week (weekends are the only time I've got), but otherwise no special exercise. For me, it has been 100% about changing bad eating habits and making everything I eat intentional and nutrient-dense.

Here's what I wrote about what's worked for me so far: http://alicesadventuresaboveground.com/2012/07/03/from-flabby-to-fabulous-after-50/

BTW -- Since I wrote that (last month), I got a juicer and make a green juice every morning to sip on throughout the day instead of relying on store-bought juices.

Happy to share Food Diaries with anybody who sends me a request. ;c)
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 now and it has taken me 2 years to lose 50 pounds. There was definitely no quick fix for me. Just constant and consistent healthy choices + exercise. Agree with those who say see an MD first!
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Here I am considering myself middle aged but one reply that said the 60s are considered old age. dam. but anyway someone said younger people have pain issues which is true, not just middle age and old age. i was the exercise-dancing-running queen in my day and now i can hardly walk a mile because of my knees. weight piled on when i couldnt keep the calories burned. joined MFP june of 2011 and at leat i've lost 14 pounds in that year. By the time I'm old enough for my medicare (two more years) I hope to have lost the other 17.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I am 44 and this is so much harder to do this time around. I try to exercise and HURT everywhere,,,, I know what I need to do and trying to get there is just a battle that I seem to be loosing....

Suggestion on activities, exercises or any advice to help me break this bad streak... For every time I loose to 189, I gain it back... ITs driving me nuts. I want to see 160 again... Be healthier....

It's not age....I'm 45 and run half-marathons....and some of my older friends in their 50's OUTRUN ME!!! And I think I'm fast lol. So age in and of itself is not an issue....

I will say OP it's 80% diet, 20% working out....so watch what you're eating closely. In addition to diet you may want to start slow with C25K...running has helped me maintain my weight for the last 25+ years...I swear by it. There is just too much good food & drinks out there not to exercise, but you don't want to hurt yourself. Go slow.
  • jeanzbeanz
    Options
    loose --> lose

See? you already lost something - off to a good start :-)

*just teasin'*
  • socdocme
    Options
    Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) has become controversial within the medical field. For example, some research suggests that elevated levels of estrogen are associated with certain breast cancers. I developed pulmonary emboli (blood clots) after being on HRT for a few months. It almost killed me, and now I can't take any estrogen. Even birth control pills are linked to higher rates of blood clots. I had a student in her early 20s who developed clots. Just sayin' do your research before making any decisions about taking HRT.
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Just wait until you actually hit middle age!

I must admit I regret every stupid thing I ever did to my body because I'm being punished for all of them with aches and pains.

Walking and tai chi have been wonderful exercises for me. But I decided many years ago when I hit 40 that there were two types of older people: those who talked about all the things they USED to do and those who talk about the cool things they were doing now.

Exercise is much easier as I get older if I start with something mellow and then slowly move up in intensity. I started walking seriously a few months ago and am now walking faster than I used to jog. It could be worse.

Wow!!! I like that middle quote you have there!!! Great post!
  • Amarallm
    Amarallm Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am 45 and female. I have lost 7.4 lbs this past month. Not much to some, but a move it the right direction and I am happy with that. I was out of work for three years due to a work related injury. I was overweight before but then I gained 20+ more pounds. In the end, I want to lose 55 lbs. Accept slow and steady weight loss. Start out slow with the exercise. Anything is better than nothing. Do some gentle stretching before going for a walk. The first week my legs hurt. Now, one month later, I just want to keep on walking! I am consistant when it comes to using MFP. Feel free to add me as a friend as I would like to offer you encouragement and go through this journey together. My biggest critic is my Mother. (She has health issues that she wants me to avoid.) Last week she told me that she has noticed that my legs and butt are noticibly more toned! Take it safe, take it slow and away the weight will go.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    As others have said, age is just a number. I'm 65.
    I was very active physically up until 8 years ago when a neuirological problem forced me to begin a sedentary lifestyle.
    My weight ballooned.
    Will and determination to lose the fat is key.
    I know I'll never be as 'fit' as I was, but at least I won't be fat!
    Be honest with yourself regarding calories and the flab will shrink
    Tone (thru exercise) if you can, but simply losing the fat will improve your health.
  • sonjalyons
    sonjalyons Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am 52 & started MFP in Feb after my daughter told me about it. I have lost 25 lb as of Saturday and looking to lose about 5 more lbs. I track all foods & drinks daily & also plan some meal ahead so I will know how many calories consumed for that day. Some days I go over my calories & some days I don't. I do walk almost daily or do so type of physical excerise even if it is just cleaning the house. So my point is you can do it you just have to stick with it. Good luck.
  • freya33
    freya33 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I went on a boot camp last year to lose weight for my son's wedding. I was the oldest by far but in the middle in terms of fitness. I lost 9lbs in one week but it was lots of exercise each day. This showed me I can do it but I want to lose the weight by a regime I can keep up not an intensive week. So the loss will be slower it will not go back on; my retirement is time for sorting out diet and organising exercise. I have just realised I can walk to the gym which is a 2 hour walk ( there and back) along a river with only 2 small roads to cross. It is beautiful, easy walking and makes me appreciate life.
    This site is such a supportive site.