Flax oil/seed?

Options
Does anyone here use flax oil or seed in their diet? I have a friend who has lost a lot of weight (120lbs but that was from gastric bypass) and uses it daily. She recommended I try it. I bought the oil like she uses and it is DISGUSTING. I felt like I was drinking oil from a deep fryer that hasn't been cleaned for 6 months. I know they have it in pill form as well which is what I think I will try next time. I don't want to throw it out though. Is there a more..ummm..tolerable way to drink it? Also how exactly does it help you and how do you ingest it???

Replies

• opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I've never had flax oil, but I've had flax seeds. They're called linseeds in the UK. It's recommended that you soak them before eating them, because that makes them easier to digest and absorb the nutrients. I put a teaspoonful of linseeds in a glass and fill the glass with water and leave it overnight. Then I drink the water with the linseeds the next morning. It's a really refreshing drink - tastes lovely. It's good for you because it's high in omega 3 fatty acids. I have linseeds instead of, say, having cod liver oil. Good for your joints - I am hypermobile so I have to look after my joints. It's also good for your immune system, and your heart and brain.
  • torrmairi
    torrmairi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have ground golden linseed and mix about a tablespoon into my vanilla protein and drink/eat it that way for breakfast. It helps me stay full all morning - not sure if it's the fats or fibre, but it really does keep my mind off food for a little while.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Flax is a decent source of fibre but a poor source of omega-3, which many people take it for. You would be better off with fish oil capsules if you want an omega-3 supplement.

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=4920084
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I use the Flax seed meal, 2 tbls every morning mixed into my oatmeal, flavorless, tasteless. I use it to help my cholesterol as I cant tolerate fish oil
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    If you want to use it you should buy it ground as the whole ones just get pooped out without the benifits.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    If you want to use it you should buy it ground as the whole ones just get pooped out without the benifits.

That's why you need to soak them! They're digested fine if you soak them overnight. :-)
  • twaltemade
    twaltemade Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is rough tasting when consumed straight. I use a combination of Flax Seed oil (30%) and Grapeseed oil (70%) when I make salad dressing. Less flax seed than grapeseed as the taste is strong, but it is not noticeable when combined with other oils. I can't say that I have noticed any particular health benefit, but I figure that it is a good source of Omega 3s.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I take it daily....because among other things...It is great for the hair and skin.
  • lsegatti
    lsegatti Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    As an oil it can be mixed with anything else for flavor and used on fresh salads. You can add it to breakfast shakes, etc. I took the Barleans' brand women essential formula (capsules) for two years as menopause support. With the oil of rosemary and other supports in that formula I cruised through menopause with no big issues. I have now moved on to regular fish oil for better heart health.
  • GinaBeana1121
    GinaBeana1121 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I take a tablespoon of flax seed oil daily. I blend it into my green smoothies in the morning with a probiotic. Smoothies are a great way to get energy, protein, veggies, and other nutrition you need for the day. I can't live without them!
  • Ms_Freda
    Ms_Freda Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    We take the flaxseet oil in a gelcap form daily for the omega 3 (I can't take the fish oil, will not sit well on my stomach) and we also use the flax meal in cooking.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I grind some flax seeds up and sprinkle them on a salad or on my main meal. I don't taste it.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    It also comes in a ground form.
    Put it in your yogurt, oatmeal, smoothies.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I hide it in my smoothie. I don't even notice its there. I also use hemp oil, which I can take straight up. Tastes kinda like ... um, hash oil. It's a great source of healthy fats and omegas. I also use a combo of pumpkin, flax, grapeseed and something else....that tastes really nasty. I hide that stuff in smoothies or juice or it's not going down.

If your gonna use fish oil capsules, make sure they are from fish low on the food chain. Otherwise you will be getting all kinds of chemical nasties with your nutrition.

I'd love to make some salad oil out of the stuff. Just too lazy I guess.
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Buy fish oil pills with flax in them! I do this for joint health. Also pro tip, keeping them in the fridge keeps you from getting a nasty after taste!
  • Shopgirl9337
    Shopgirl9337 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I eat 1/3 of a cup of flax seeds every day in the Jorge Cruise's muffin in a minute. It's been a mainstay in my diet (sometimes I'll have two in one day) since I've stopped eating wheat products. The recipe calls for 1 egg, 1/3 cup flax seed, 1 tsp coconut oil, 2 tsp cinnamon & 1 tsp baking powder. Stir up in a mug and "bake" in the microwave for 1 min. Mmmmm! The original recipe said to use 1 pkt of Splenda but I forgot it once and was able to eat it without the Splenda so I've never added it back in...
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    wow! How many calories in a third cup of flax seed?
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I do take it in pill form.
  • vegas711
    vegas711 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Buy liquid, cold pressed (trader Joe's) etc and mix it with cottage cheese
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I use ground flaxseed and add it to my oatmeal, cereal, baking, etc or use it as an egg substitute in a pinch. I haven't noticed any real benefits, but it's a good way to sneak some extra fiber in your diet.