13»

Replies

• terrisjr
    Options
    :drinker: I am with you .
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    ps coffee halflife is ore like 5 to 5.5 hrs rather than 4 hrs :-)
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I drink at least 4 cups per day. Haha, my coworker said if I drank any more than that, my nipples would turn black. :laugh:
  • ciobair
    ciobair Posts: 69
    Options
    Do not speak such blasphemy. There is no such thing as too much coffee. :drinker:

:flowerforyou:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I love my cappuccino, and I'm not willing to give it up. So I made it healthier - I've cut the sugary syrup waaaay down, and I use skim milk. Bonus? The skim milk froths better. ;)

I have 2 double-shot cappuccinos a day. Each is about 100 cal, (most of the calories are from the milk), and each one is less caffeine than a brewed cup of coffee. I think this is a reasonable amount for ME.

I think you can still have coffee if you listen to your body.
  • terrisjr
    Options
    I tried to give it up along with the coffee mate, I Too was MISERABLE! So, I just take the hit on the calories for the creamer and move on...........HAPPY. This is a lifestyle change and I dont plan to ever give up, enough said! :drinker:
  • sillab
    sillab Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee too. During the week at work I normally drink two lg go mugs of coffee. The weekends, when I am at home, I make a pot in the morning and usually drink it all. Black coffee only for me so thank goodness no added calories!
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have a negative story to tell about caffiene.....years ago, I drank coffee, usually when I went to my second job in order to refreash myself...also I started caffiene tablets back then....in fact back then, I would chase the tablet with the coffee.....eventually I had to quit drining coffee because it upset my stomach...I continued with the caffiene tablets.....about a year ago, I was taking 2 per day, and had to cut them in half because I started to feel light headed from it...I was also having 2 diet sodas when I weent out to dinner twice a week, but always this was 6 hours after the tablet....about 4 months ago, there was another change...all my medications suddenly started negatively interacting with each other.....I cut out most of my medications and suppliments to try to get a handle on it, and also found myself more intolerant of caffiene.....two weeks ago, I had half a soda and felt brain fog and burning eyes....same when I tried 1/2 tablet of caffiene the next day.....i week ago I tried 1/4 tablet and that cleared my head for about 2 yours....I decided at that point to quit altogether....I suspect that I have adrenal, or other endocrine issues because of chronic stress/pressure at work and chronic caffiene use....please, be careful...it could happen to you.....I have no withdrawal symptoms from this because I tapered off over time....
  • faya195
    faya195 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A month or two ago I went from not liking coffee at all to all of a sudden liking and even loving it - had a cravi for it one day and it's stuck with me since then. I have 3 4-8oz cups a day, all of them with frothed unsweetened soya milk. Maybe I should say I have milk froth with coffee as it's usually 1 part coffee to 1-1.5 parts milk. The milk comes out at 60kcal and less than 1g of carbs a day so I don't stress about it.
    I would go for decaf if I felt the need for a 4th or 5th cup as I don't want to become addicted to large amounts of caffeine again (I used to drink 2 litres or more of Diet Coke a day and cutting it out was quite hard, withdrawal-wise).
  • nevilles
    nevilles Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Here is the advice on caffeine that I have given to patients for many years. It's based on both the available facts and research, and also on my own experiences treating many patients.

Caffeine can last in your system anywhere from 4-12 hours or more. It depends on your age, your liver and kidney function, and other things like what other medications/drugs you are taking.

Caffeine will affect your sleep. I don't care if you think you sleep great, you just don't know how much better you might be sleeping. Furthermore, just because you are asleep doesn't mean you have good quality sleep.

I have seen caffeine cause heart palpitations, heartburn (severe sometimes), abdominal pain, anxiety, shaking and tremors, and of course insomnia.

There is no evidence for any "good" effects from caffeine besides increased alertness. Coffee may have some benefits at 1-2 cups a day, but there is nothing that says it's from the caffeine.

If you feel like you "can't" stop or cut back your caffeine intake because you will be too tired...ask yourself "why?" The most common cause I have seen is too little sleep. Yes, we can get by on 6 hrs or less sleep a night, but over time it will make you crabby, grumpy, and miserable. If you find that you have to crash and sleep 12-15 hrs every couple of weekends, or more, then you are shorting yourself on sleep most nights. Try hard to get 8 hrs, more if needed. I know this is tough, but it helps and it's how your body was designed to work.

If you get headaches from cutting back caffeine, then you are having caffeine withdrawal. You can overcome this by cutting back your caffeine containing drinks by 1 drink every 4-5 days. So if you drink 6 caffeinated drinks a day, cut back to 5 for 5 days, then 4 for five days, and so on.

My best advice is zero caffeine intake. That's what I do. My "realistic" advice is 1 caffeine drink a day, before 10 am, then all caffeine free thereafter. (That's for someone who gets up at 6-7am and goes to bed by 10pm.)

Many of you will disagree. It's a tough habit to break. You're not a bad person if you can't cut back or don't want to cut back. Just ask yourself why. And don't rationalize that there are no harmful effects to heavy caffeine intake. There is, over time.

-NS
  • jendraka
    jendraka Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    All depends on the person. I don't usually drink more than one small mug a day. Right now, for some odd reason or another, I'm sipping on my second mug, which extremely odd for me, and I'm already feeling like I'm on speed. Caffeine is not something I'm really use to in my body. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure my typing speed has increased as I'm sure this post is pretty much flying by me at a faster than normal rate. Yep, should have definitely been drinking more coffee when I was in Secretarial Lab in college.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Wow...I can honestly say that coffee drinking has never been an issue on any of my trips to the doctor...Although he did once caution me about watching all the added calories from the add ons.
  • beansprouts
    Options
    Here is the advice on caffeine that I have given to patients for many years. It's based on both the available facts and research, and also on my own experiences treating many patients.

Caffeine can last in your system anywhere from 4-12 hours or more. It depends on your age, your liver and kidney function, and other things like what other medications/drugs you are taking.

Caffeine will affect your sleep. I don't care if you think you sleep great, you just don't know how much better you might be sleeping. Furthermore, just because you are asleep doesn't mean you have good quality sleep.

I have seen caffeine cause heart palpitations, heartburn (severe sometimes), abdominal pain, anxiety, shaking and tremors, and of course insomnia.

There is no evidence for any "good" effects from caffeine besides increased alertness. Coffee may have some benefits at 1-2 cups a day, but there is nothing that says it's from the caffeine.

If you feel like you "can't" stop or cut back your caffeine intake because you will be too tired...ask yourself "why?" The most common cause I have seen is too little sleep. Yes, we can get by on 6 hrs or less sleep a night, but over time it will make you crabby, grumpy, and miserable. If you find that you have to crash and sleep 12-15 hrs every couple of weekends, or more, then you are shorting yourself on sleep most nights. Try hard to get 8 hrs, more if needed. I know this is tough, but it helps and it's how your body was designed to work.

If you get headaches from cutting back caffeine, then you are having caffeine withdrawal. You can overcome this by cutting back your caffeine containing drinks by 1 drink every 4-5 days. So if you drink 6 caffeinated drinks a day, cut back to 5 for 5 days, then 4 for five days, and so on.

My best advice is zero caffeine intake. That's what I do. My "realistic" advice is 1 caffeine drink a day, before 10 am, then all caffeine free thereafter. (That's for someone who gets up at 6-7am and goes to bed by 10pm.)

Many of you will disagree. It's a tough habit to break. You're not a bad person if you can't cut back or don't want to cut back. Just ask yourself why. And don't rationalize that there are no harmful effects to heavy caffeine intake. There is, over time.

-NS

What do you think about the caffeine that they put in workout drinks?
  • nevilles
    nevilles Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Beansprouts,

I think that the people who design and market the "Energy" and "Sports" drinks are very smart. They know that if they give the person an extra "kick" with caffeine, it will help sales...

I personally would avoid it, or at least limit it dramatically, as I said before.

-NS
  • beansprouts
    Options
    Beansprouts,

I think that the people who design and market the "Energy" and "Sports" drinks are very smart. They know that if they give the person an extra "kick" with caffeine, it will help sales...

I personally would avoid it, or at least limit it dramatically, as I said before.

-NS

Nevilles, After what you wrote previously...I did make one very important change...I added caffeine (from coffee) to my patient drug list that my doctor routinely wants everybody that he treats to fill out....In the past...that office has been very thorough in making sure that every aspirin, over the counter medication including every herbal remedy or herbal ointment gets brought to the Dr's attention...I do remember that we had previously talked about my coffee drinking in relation to my weight gain (ie the stuff that I was adding to my coffee)...but the doctor sure was never trying to educate me on those other potential effects/ symptoms of high caffeine consumption....So thank you very much!.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I could not get through my day without my 1-2 cups of coffee. After 10:00 I drink decaf, though.

I haven't slept 8 hours at a stretch in over a year... hence why I need coffee. And I was caffeine free for 9 months of the poor sleep period (or at least caffeine-low). The joys of pregnancy and parenthood...
  • AnnaMC1977
    AnnaMC1977 Posts: 241
    Options
    Amen to that! I drink at least 2 pots/day...more when the wx turns cold. It's a great appetite suppressant too.