COMICS...YES, THOSE WHY ARE YOU LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT?

Options

Replies

• ErtaisLament
    ErtaisLament Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've read comics off and on my whole life, with my favourites being Preacher, Transmetropolitan, Hellblazer, etc. For me, the Vertigo line was a bit like the Metropolis Records label- not everything it released was great, but everything was worth a read/listen.

By the way, for those mentioning they'd like to get back into some of the Marvel superhero titles but aren't sure where to start, Marvel is rebooting some of their franchises this Autumn, just as DC did earlier. I'll be picking the X-Men back up then, as I too have a lot of fond memories of the X-Men from a certain era (Nightcrawler and Colossus being two of my faves) and the New Mutants.

@chunkylover22 Absolutely! Huge fan of the game, I actually run a weblog that reviews the preconstructed decks (Theme Decks, Intro Packs, Duel Decks, etc). Been doing that for a couple years now, it's a lot of fun.
  • _Calvin_
    _Calvin_ Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have not bought a comic in years. But back in the day I collected,
    xmen
    spider man
    batman
    unknown soldier
    groo the wanderer
    hulk - green and grey
    wolverine
    green arrow
    the crow - 4 part series that lead to the movie
    and to many other indies to list.

I have well over 500 in plastic with backings just waiting for my 7 year old to be responsible enough to take them over.

yeah I was like Brody from Mall Rats (does anyone get that?)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I used to be a big collector of comics. I still have the collection (a few thousand comics), but haven't been reading anything current in years.

My collection is mainly of :

X-Men (including early issues from 1960's)
    Wolverine and other X-related titles in the '80's/'90's.
    Amazing Spiderman and Web of Spiderman
    Spawn
    The Sandman Series (love, love this!)
    Strangers In Paradise by Terry Moore (have the entire series) <-- my all time favorite comic series
    Other Marvel titles.
    Some Superman, Wonder Woman, Catwoman, and Batman.
    Various graphic novels like V for Vendetta and Box Office Poison.

That's a lot of books lol

It is! I don't even know the final count. They take up most of a closet in my house. Almost all are bagged and boarded, too. That took ages!:laugh:
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Question - Anyone here ever experience the death of a favorite comic? My mom gave away a special edition tall Batman comic book that I'd been given while I was away at college. Sob. I was traumatized. She didn't realize she should have asked. Anyone else have those sorts of disasters? Dogs eating a comic book? Little brother coloring or cutting out pictures? Sister making hats out of a comic book? I'm just curious. That was my horror story.
  • HogSandwich
    HogSandwich Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yaay For comics!! I love the new series Witch Doctor, and also Soul fire.

Speaking of "nerdy" stuff.......Does any one play Magic the gathering?

*raises hand* White+Green decks represent.
  • UNTOLDSMILE
    UNTOLDSMILE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    For anyone here who isn't into the superhero genre and would like a good one, I suggest Identity Crisis. I can't remember ever being so surprised by a story or almost driven to tears by what happens in it.
  • UNTOLDSMILE
    Options
    Question - Anyone here ever experience the death of a favorite comic? My mom gave away a special edition tall Batman comic book that I'd been given while I was away at college. Sob. I was traumatized. She didn't realize she should have asked. Anyone else have those sorts of disasters? Dogs eating a comic book? Little brother coloring or cutting out pictures? Sister making hats out of a comic book? I'm just curious. That was my horror story.

When I was a little guy I left one of my favorite Batman titles unattended on the couch and the cat ripped it to shreds lol!
  • UNTOLDSMILE
    Options
    I used to be a big collector of comics. I still have the collection (a few thousand comics), but haven't been reading anything current in years.

My collection is mainly of :

X-Men (including early issues from 1960's)
    Wolverine and other X-related titles in the '80's/'90's.
    Amazing Spiderman and Web of Spiderman
    Spawn
    The Sandman Series (love, love this!)
    Strangers In Paradise by Terry Moore (have the entire series) <-- my all time favorite comic series
    Other Marvel titles.
    Some Superman, Wonder Woman, Catwoman, and Batman.
    Various graphic novels like V for Vendetta and Box Office Poison.

That's a lot of books lol

It is! I don't even know the final count. They take up most of a closet in my house. Almost all are bagged and boarded, too. That took ages!:laugh:

They're are heavy as hell too aren't they lol! Mine have a good weight to them lol!
  • UNTOLDSMILE
    Options
    I have not bought a comic in years. But back in the day I collected,
    xmen
    spider man
    batman
    unknown soldier
    groo the wanderer
    hulk - green and grey
    wolverine
    green arrow
    the crow - 4 part series that lead to the movie
    and to many other indies to list.

I have well over 500 in plastic with backings just waiting for my 7 year old to be responsible enough to take them over.

yeah I was like Brody from Mall Rats (does anyone get that?)

I want to hand mine down as well when I have children.
  • UNTOLDSMILE
    Options
    Anyone on here feel free to add me :)
  • asgard825
    asgard825 Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    i love the fables series. i also recently picked up a bunch of female superhero ones.

Are u (or anyone) reading the Fables spinoff FAIREST? Pretty awesome...
  • asgard825
    asgard825 Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Are u all reading comics digitally or still from shops? Jus curious
  • UNTOLDSMILE
    Options
    Are u all reading comics digitally or still from shops? Jus curious

I still get them from the shop here.
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    I am enjoying The walking dead, and The Umbrella Academy.
    I'm also a spider man fan, more the old cartoon though.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    you say that like its a bad thing... check out my shirt :p *poww*

comic books remind me of my brothers... i miss them <3

i work at barnes and noble, so im pretty much always reading something. right now im reading 50 shades of grey, had to see what all the hubbub was about.... cant really bring myself to finish it up though. also reading the 2nd hungergames book and starting game of thrones soon
  • Kari_L_Moore
    Kari_L_Moore Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm reading the new 52 Wonder Woman. <3 it!
  • dpv0922
    dpv0922 Posts: 2
    Options
    Read POseurs. An LA graphic novel. You'll love it!
  • jlwbeans0823
    jlwbeans0823 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I adore the Preacher series. I'm not sure if this is just a rumor, but I read a story that Preacher is getting the movie treatment. That will be interesting. If this is true I fear major changes in the storyline.
  • gingersnapx00
    Options
    Hey whats better than sex and video games! A couple of glasses of wine and BAM...everyone wins. And your nerdy gamer husband is amazed just much you can multitask:love:
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    i love the fables series. i also recently picked up a bunch of female superhero ones.
    All my favorite comic book and even manga characters are bad *kitten* female characters. What can I say: I love strong, athletic women who can bring it. Hawkgirl was always one of my favorites due to her "smash things first, ask questions later" attitude lol