"Starvation mode", exercise calories, dillema?

Options

Replies

• hippietofugirl
    Options
    Thank you so much for clearing this up! I was so confused before, but now things are clear :flowerforyou:
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • billyh333
    billyh333 Posts: 213
    Options
    If humans went into true starvation mode after only skipping 1 meal or not eating for a day we would not have survived this long fact not fiction.
  • billyh333
    Options
    And FYI anyone says Intermittent Fasting .in the same phrase as diet. has not idea about nutrition.
  • gjsmommy
    gjsmommy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
  • sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Bump to continue the reading of this thread

That is so cute!
  • billyh333
    Options

That is so cute!
    just curious what does bump mean lol?
  • bbrat333
    bbrat333 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    bump for later. from what I skim read, it looks interesting!
  • gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options

That is so cute!
    just curious what does bump mean lol?

Whenever you comment on a post, it puts it into your recent read posts on your home page, therefore people "bump" so they can easily find this post later on to read more in depth or whatever
  • nellelaughs
    Options

So your body requires a certain amount of calories just to function, this is called your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) and consists of energy needs for autonomic functions such as respiration, involuntary muscle contraction (like digestion and heart function), Central Nervous System activity...etc. Things you have little or no control over. These activities require about 60 to 75% of most people's calories. No matter what you do, you need this many calories to function, this is not a debate. The rest is all subject to variation, thermogenesis (the conversion of calories to heat), daily activity, and extra activities (exercises not occuring through normal daily activity) all add to the above total giving you your Total Daily Energy Expendature (TDEE).
    Luckily for most people, they have a significant amount of calories stored in their body. Not only as fat, but also as protein and glycogen (and cholesterol to a smaller degree). Even fit and healthy folks with low body fat percent have a large amount of stored calories.
    So what happens when you eat below what you need?

Part 3 long term underfeeding
    This can begin anywhere from 10 days to six weeks depending on how large the deficit is. The body is fully in "panic mode" now. Storage of fat is a primary concern to the point where now both protein and carbohydrates coming in are shunted off in large amounts to fat storage. Muscle mass is critically low or starting to become critically low. If the person is keeping track, they will now see that their stamina and power is both significantly lower. And they will have large periods of the day where they are tired and/or lethargic, and could even exhibit "colds" and acheness very easily.
    This point is where the brain is criticaly effected and organs can begin slowing down their efficiency. The long term health risks are now an issue. Some organs can shut down in parts, and sometimes these parts never start back up again. Compromised thought processes can dull perception and lead to balance and awareness issues. Sleeping becomes more difficult. It's a cycle that can end in chronic diseases and sometimes even death. I don't say this to scare folks, it's just the logical outcome (although would take quite a while unless in full blown starvation).

As to the finer points of recognizing how many calories are "enough" for you. That's easy enough to estimate (with some impressision I admit, but it'll get you in the ballpark). Just find your approximate BMR (there's a ton of sites out there that do this, go to webMD and put metabolism calculator in, you'll find their tool for TDEE) and multiply by 25% and you'll get close to your TDEE.

What do you mean by underfeeding? Are you saying that people who chronically eat below their TDEE experience adverse health effects? Or when you say underfeeding are you speaking of below BMR?

Also, I really don't understand what you're saying in the last paragraph I quoted. If I go to webMD and use their metabolism calculator to find my TDEE, then why do I need to multiply by 25%?
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I vote for STICKY!

Great post!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Anastasia0511
    Anastasia0511 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • minnielovesmickey
    minnielovesmickey Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Fab read, thanks!!
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rgbink
    rgbink Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • emnpepper
    emnpepper Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • avalonwomon
    Options
    I had never heard the term "starvation myth" until I saw this post. But I was so put off by the third paragraph that I didn't want to read the rest - mainly because paragraph 3 was so combative and judgey.

So I googled "starvation myth" and found out some really interesting information.

I liked this post - http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.com/2009/03/mtyhbusters-starvation-mode.html

So many opinions on this but as we are often told, we must do what we think is right for ourselves.