Where do the skinny people shop?

Options

Replies

• DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm currently a 14/16 pant and can shop pretty much anywhere.

My favorite stores for pants are Fashion Bug and JC Penney. I'm bummed that Fashion Bug is closing. However, I did just buy two pairs of LEIs from WalMart that I love. I was surprised they had that brand.

For shirts, I pretty much shop at JC Penney. I can't stand Kohls, their clothes never fit me right.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your budget and your style.
    This is the best answer. If you are looking for versatile garments that are work-appropriate but can also be worn casually in the mid-price range, I'd suggest Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Piperlime, and J.Crew. You can always shop at department stores like Macy's or Lord & Taylor to see a variety of products.
    -wtk
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    But you can get skinny stuff anywhere, really. :)

Amen!!...And they rarely ever hear...."They don't make this in your size!"

you'd be quite surprised, actually.... its not that easy to always find a smaller size in all stores, because not many people request them, they buy and stock less of the 0's, 2's and 4's.

True story...and those few small sizes go quick :grumble:

that they do, boo.
  • souperficial
    souperficial Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Kohl's and Target because I'm poor. Eh, I'd still shop there even if I was rich.
    Seriously, this. Even if I had money, I'd still buy half my stuff from Kohl's and Target. Old Navy is also my best friend.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I like Kohl's and Macy's.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    * Victoria's Secret - these are REAL 2s and 4s

* New York & Company -- these are the revised 2s and 4s (their sizes are larger than the REAL sizes)

* Xpress

* Macy's (If you get there on a good day they have 2's otherwise you're out of luck) -- their sizes are also larger than the REAL sizes

* JC Penny (if you'r still in 4's or higher; they don't carry lower than a 4 unless you shop online, and don't count on them having a 4 in the store....you can grab a 3 in the juniors if they're they're not too outragous (in style) -- sizes are larger than the REAL sizes

* PacSun - but ...it depends on your age; their shorts are too short for me (but I'm 43); their jeans are okay though

* Ann Taylor - Good for professional clothes and their clothes are right on the mark as far as sizing goes

****NEWS FLASH****** stores do NOT cater to SKINNY people; only SOME stores stock 1 or 2 pieces of each item in a 2 or a 4; rarely a 0. The average woman is a size 12 and so sizes around that is what stores cater to; therefore if you need a much larger or much small than that size you can ask when they get their stock in and come in on those days every week so that you can find your size or resort to shopping online (this is what I do b/c it is too difficult to find my size). I am a 2/4 right now ... every time I go to the mall it is slim pickins and I rarely leave with what I am looking for. I have given up mostly and just buy online.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    New York and Company may work....
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself "skinny" but I like to shop at Express, the best jeans ever!!!
  • Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    American Eagle, Aeropostale, PacSun, A&F, Hollister, Forever 21, Hot Topic (Meh, maybe that's me) Jc Penney, Target, TJ Maxx..
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    When I was in shape I would shop at Express, Ann Taylor Loft, Macy's, and Old Navy.
  • Stephanie_Autry
    Stephanie_Autry Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I think it more depends on what you mean by skinny. When I hear "where do the skinny people shop? The first thing that comes to my mind is Abercrombie & Fitch, American Eagle, Hollister, Aeropostale', Chartotte Russe, Express...etc.
  • zmoreno10
    zmoreno10 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Ditto on American Eagle. As soon as I got down to manageable size, AE was the first store I went to when I wanted to buy some smaller clothes. It was a HUGE NSV to be able to fit into AE jeans off the shelf (not having to order larger sizes online).
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options

you'd be quite surprised, actually.... its not that easy to always find a smaller size in all stores, because not many people request them, they buy and stock less of the 0's, 2's and 4's.

that they do, boo.

Okay...but remember that on mfp...."skinny" is a relative term....OP was talking about sizes 14/16/18 as "skinny.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

that they do, boo.

Okay...but remember that on mfp...."skinny" is a relative term....OP was talking about sizes 14/16/18 as "skinny.

hence the reason I originally said RETAIL STORES define skinny differently than most people, i.e. models, etc.
  • ashlielinn
    ashlielinn Posts: 920
    Options
    Not that I'd consider myself skinny, but I do shop in the store you're speaking of and my favorites are...

Forever 21
    H&M
    Charlotte Ruse
    Old Navy
    Abercrombie
    Hollister
    Gap
    Kohls
    Target
    Delias

Of course, all of this depends on your age and style :)
  • Aurora76
    Aurora76 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feed back. I hope I didn't offend people with my "skinny" question. I just wanted to know where normal people shop because it's been so long since I've been able to set foot into a regular fitting store that I have forgotten. I'm also 6'1" so I have to look for length too. Shopping is always a pain but the more fit I become the easier it will be to shop. I can't wait to look at some of these stores and see what cute stuff they have. :happy:

I can't wait to get to my ultimate goal but for now I really need some clothes to wear because all mine hang off me. I also haven't gone shopping for clothes in over 2 years other than an odd shirt or pair of pants every once in awhile.

Thanks again. You guys are great, :drinker:
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    ♥ Topshop
    ♥ Forever21
    ♥ Ruche
    ♥ Urban Outfitters
    ♥ Planet Blue
    ♥ H&M
    ♥ Alloy
    ♥ PlasticLand
    ♥ ModCloth
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I shop at Forever 21 and Hollister..even though at my advanced :wink: age I shouldn't shop there anymore lol. I also go to Wet Seal. Its getting hard for me to find stuff because my arms and thighs are getting bigger from weights. I work at a tailor shop though..so its easy for me getting stuff fitted to me.
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'm a size 4 or 6 and I prefer to do the biggest majority of my shopping at Buckle. Other than Buckle, I like to shop at Maurices, Vanity, Nordstrom (and Nordstrom Rack), Saks (and Saks Off 5th Avenue), Macy's, TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Express, American Eagle, Victoria's Secret, and, sometimes, at Aeropostale. I do NOT do Old Navy jeans, but I do like their maxi dresses. I am also a Delia's, Alloy, and Zappos shopper. So, I guess you can say that you can shop about anywhere! My favorite jeans are from Buckle, though, for sure. I'm not quite as picky with my shirts as long as they are flattering and stylish =)
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Having lost as much as I have, you can't imagine my joy at being able to avoid Fashion Bug and Lane Bryant.

Hubby and I went malling, twice this weekend, and I blew a huge chunk of change at Hot Topic, Wet Seal and Forever 21. I am in an XL and Forever 21 has a hugeeeeee selection. It's upstairs and I literally felt like I was climbing the stairway to heaven.

Congrats on your achievement. This is by far my favorite part of my journey. Xoxoxo